TESTERS WANTED! ×

Mizuno JPX Range

sparnar

Hi spies

I am currently gaming a set of Mizuno MP53s, and I have decided that I need to look at some more forgiving options. I love that feeling when hitting these irons flush, but that just doesn't happen often enough.

I have been for quite a few lessons over the last 12 months, and I have a decent swing going, with a couple of smaller things that I am still working on (for now by myself, but as soon as my work schedule allows it, I will be with my pro again).

Anyway, I don't bag the 3i from my set at all. I do carry the 4i, but barely ever use it (maybe off the tee if I'm feeling silly), and the 5i is also not really a go-to option. I will use the 5i off the tee on longish par 3s, and occasionally when my ball is sitting on top of some light rough. For some reason, I have a bit more confidence if there is a bit more grass under the ball.

The 6i I am getting more used to, with some practice, and from 7i all they way to PW I can hit these clubs very well.

Now, my starting point for some more forgiving clubs will be the JPX range (both 800s and 825s). I will however at some point try out the Rocketbladez as well, after the stellar reviews it received by our fellow forum members.

Now, the 800 range will obviously be cheaper than the newer 825s, so I was wondering if anyone had some time to hit these side by side to determine if it is worthwhile to spend the extra coin for the 825s.

As for the Pros, standard 800/825s and the HD's, I would love to go with the Pro's, but I have be realistic about the forgiveness I would like. I do feel that the HD will probably be off-putting with the top line and the offset. But rest assured, I will hit them, and if they perform better, looks will have to take the backseat.

Anyways, I would love to hear if any of you have hit the 800 and 825 range, and what your thoughts were performance-wise. I am not too worried about looks, and I am not all that bothered with distance. I really want to have clubs that offer a good amount of forgiveness, and that are accurate.

Unless you count the occasional slice with the big dog, I don't work the ball at all. I want irons that I can rely on to forgive me on those not-quite-right swing, and that will go where I aim them.

I will mention that I have hit some SGI irons, that seemed to just launch the ball, but that there wasn't any real accuracy to those irons. That I do not want. In that scenario, I would probably sacrifice a little bit of forgiveness for more accuracy.

I think I might have to look into a split at the end of the day, maybe something like the Pros in the 7-PW, and the standard 800/825s in the 4-6.

I know fitting will be mentioned a few times, and once I have a good idea of the clubs I am seriously looking at, I will schedule the iron fitting.

Looking forward to your comments.

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

As for the Pros, standard 800/825s and the HD's, I would love to go with the Pro's, but I have be realistic about the forgiveness I would like. I do feel that the HD will probably be off-putting with the top line and the offset. But rest assured, I will hit them, and if they perform better, looks will have to take the backseat.

Force yourself to stick to this! Though the combo set you mention isn't a bad idea at all.

I looked into the 800 vs 825 for a while. IMO, there is only an slight difference between the two, so if you are going with stock options, the 800 is probably best. Stock shaft on both is True Temper® Dynalite Gold. Personally, I'd reshaft them the instant I got them, so even doing that you can get the 800s cheaper than the 825s off ebay, but it may not be worth the hassle for you.

I wouldn't go with the 800HD, that's just too much GI imo.

Have you tried out the shaft optimizer yet? I've found it pretty good.

I was asking about the Mizuno MX line in another thread and was told the MX became the JPX. At the rate you are progressing, I'm guessing in under a year you'll be wanting your MP53's back again. Anyway, you can get the MX900/MX950 (one version older than the JPX800) for a song on ebay now. Might be something to consider depending on how long you're thinking of playing them. You could also make a combo set out of the 900's & your 53's. Anyway...just food for thought.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

There isnt a whole lot of difference from the 800s to the 825s. The feel is SLIGHTLY different but nothing that I personally would spend the money.

As for the Rocketbladez, you might want to watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLMsAoe7PME

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I'd combo the 53's with the regular 825's or 800's and keep the middle irons to the 53's for when you improve. Both of us who won the staff contest went with a combo set that included something less forgiving in the scoring irons and the 825's in the middle irons -

I will tell you that the regular 825's and I'm assuming 800's launch the ball very high naturally but I've had little trouble playing them down when need be - I hadn't hit a 5 iron in years and can hit the 825 5 iron every bit as good as my old 5 hybrid and with much better control. I had to strengthen the loft on my JPX pros to match up to the 5 and 6 irons and I'm thinking you'd probably have to do the same with your 53's - honestly I wish I had gone with the 53's or maybe even the 59's in the scoring clubs but no matter I hit the 825 pros just fine - I think it's more an ego thing on my part. :)

I know you don't want to hear about it but you should make sure that you have the proper shaft - I was unimpressed with the shaft optimizer.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I don't think the 800's and 825's (Pro version) are much different other than looks but if looks don't matter like you said, then a set of 800's would do. For me, I don't like the looks of the 800's, too boxy looking. If you decide to go with the Pros, you should get fit for the 825's with the shaft optimizer, take the specs and tweak a set of 800's although if you get fit for C-Tapers, PXi, etc. it'll cost a good chunk of change either way.

Force yourself to stick to this! Though the combo set you mention isn't a bad idea at all.

I looked into the 800 vs 825 for a while. IMO, there is only an slight difference between the two, so if you are going with stock options, the 800 is probably best. Stock shaft on both is True Temper® Dynalite Gold. Personally, I'd reshaft them the instant I got them, so even doing that you can get the 800s cheaper than the 825s off ebay, but it may not be worth the hassle for you.

I wouldn't go with the 800HD, that's just too much GI imo.

Have you tried out the shaft optimizer yet? I've found it pretty good.

Thanks, wdgolf.

I was on the optimizer during December, and unfortunately I didn't get a print out of the results. But I do recall that the DG S300s (which I have right now), was one of the top two choices during two rounds on the optimizer. The other shaft mentioned both times was the Dynalite's.

I went for this fitting just to make sure that my shafts weren't hindering my progress.

But the pro who I had the session with, gave me a bit of a impromptu lesson and I have been working on these.

So I will definitely do this again, when I have decided which way to go.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

I was asking about the Mizuno MX line in another thread and was told the MX became the JPX. At the rate you are progressing, I'm guessing in under a year you'll be wanting your MP53's back again. Anyway, you can get the MX900/MX950 (one version older than the JPX800) for a song on ebay now. Might be something to consider depending on how long you're thinking of playing them. You could also make a combo set out of the 900's & your 53's. Anyway...just food for thought.

Hi BK, thanks for the advice.

Since posting this, I have actually started to think that I should perhaps keep the 53s, and maybe combo it with some 800/825s in the 4i and 5i. I can hit my 6i pretty well, and just need to build a little more confidence with it. I am starting to think this might be the route to go. I really like my 7i-PW, so it might be silly to replace the whole set just because of a struggle with the long irons.

While I am pondering this move, I am still working hard on my swing.

But if I want to combo the 53s, it would probably have to be with the Pro's in either the 800s or 825s. The standard 800\825s might be too big a difference when going from one set to the next.

Just checked the specs on the 800s\825s, and the Pro's in each.

Lofts_zps43c588a6.png

Would it be a big issue to have a 5 degree difference in loft from my 53 6i (30 degrees), to a possible 800/825 5i (25 degrees)?

It does seem like quite a difference, but I see that the shorter irons have a 4 degree difference in all of these sets.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

There isnt a whole lot of difference from the 800s to the 825s. The feel is SLIGHTLY different but nothing that I personally would spend the money.

As for the Rocketbladez, you might want to watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLMsAoe7PME

Thanks, GG.

I actually watched that video yesterday!

I posted a question for Mark, but he hasn't answered yet.

I am not too concerned about raw distance. I want a certain amount of forgiveness and consistency, and from what I read in the forum member review of the Rocketbladez, it seems that this is where these irons shine. If two irons perform the same, and one is Mizuno and the other is TMag, I will definitely go for the Mizuno.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

I'd combo the 53's with the regular 825's or 800's and keep the middle irons to the 53's for when you improve. Both of us who won the staff contest went with a combo set that included something less forgiving in the scoring irons and the 825's in the middle irons -

I will tell you that the regular 825's and I'm assuming 800's launch the ball very high naturally but I've had little trouble playing them down when need be - I hadn't hit a 5 iron in years and can hit the 825 5 iron every bit as good as my old 5 hybrid and with much better control. I had to strengthen the loft on my JPX pros to match up to the 5 and 6 irons and I'm thinking you'd probably have to do the same with your 53's - honestly I wish I had gone with the 53's or maybe even the 59's in the scoring clubs but no matter I hit the 825 pros just fine - I think it's more an ego thing on my part. :)

I know you don't want to hear about it but you should make sure that you have the proper shaft - I was unimpressed with the shaft optimizer.

Thanks, revkev. You've answered my question further down in the thread about the lofts. I was wondering about that gap.

I will definitely make sure of the shafts.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

I don't think the 800's and 825's (Pro version) are much different other than looks but if looks don't matter like you said, then a set of 800's would do. For me, I don't like the looks of the 800's, too boxy looking. If you decide to go with the Pros, you should get fit for the 825's with the shaft optimizer, take the specs and tweak a set of 800's although if you get fit for C-Tapers, PXi, etc. it'll cost a good chunk of change either way.

Thanks, whiskey golf.

I have seen some pictures, and I noticed the more boxy look of the 800s. Definitely the 825s are the better looking iron, but this won't be a dealbreaker for me.

I will have to make some time to go hit a few 800s\825s and the Pro's in each.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

Thanks, whiskey golf.

I have seen some pictures, and I noticed the more boxy look of the 800s. Definitely the 825s are the better looking iron, but this won't be a dealbreaker for me.

I will have to make some time to go hit a few 800s\825s and the Pro's in each.

Yeah I would try both the pros and non pros. The non pros were solid irons but I just preferred the more forged feel of the pros. I don't know if you saw my review of the 825 Pros but here it is.

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/7913-mizuno-jpx-825-pros/

Yeah I would try both the pros and non pros. The non pros were solid irons but I just preferred the more forged feel of the pros. I don't know if you saw my review of the 825 Pros but here it is.

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/7913-mizuno-jpx-825-pros/

Thanks, whiskey golf.

At this time, I am thinking the std 800/825s might be the way to go in the long irons, if I am really after more forgiveness.

But I still need to get to the local retailer and hit the std 800/825s, and the Pro's in each, side by side.

I will mention that my Rocketbladez 4i came yesterday. And while it is a easy club to hit, the feel isn't great.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

I will mention that my Rocketbladez 4i came yesterday. And while it is a easy club to hit, the feel isn't great.

Coming off of 53s, I wouldnt expect it to feel all that great. Therein lies the problem: once you hit a quality forged iron, theres no going back! B)

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Coming off of 53s, I wouldnt expect it to feel all that great. Therein lies the problem: once you hit a quality forged iron, theres no going back! B)

I hear ya!

I went to the golf retailer over lunch, had about 20mins to hit some balls. The bays were quite busy, so when I got a spot, I didn't have all the clubs I wanted to try out. But I did hit some JPX 800, JPX 800 Pros and JPX 825 Pros. I could only hit the 6i's though, would have liked to hit some 5i and 4i, as these are the ones I might replace with the above-mentioned.

From roughly 30 balls hit (in total), which isn't a great sample by any means, but I did like the feel of both the Pro sets. If anything, the 800 Pro's actually had better feel, in my opinion. But having hit such a small amount of balls, it might just have been that my strikes were better with the 800 Pros on the day.

Will definitely hit them side-by-side again. These were in regular shafts, I normally play stiff. Unfortunately they don't have the stiff shaft clubs available for demo'ing.

I did hit a few Rocketbladez 4is as well, and the difference in feel is huge, to say the least.

I also have a contact that might just let me hit the 800/825 Pros on the range, which would make for a much better comparison.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

Sparnar - I wouldn't worry about the gap in your transition - where ever that transition might be - either the Pros or the 53's are easily bent - I have my pros bent a bit strong in a descending sort of way to cover the logical gap between the 6 and 7 iron - it works and I've got a pretty consistent 12 yards through the bag to the 3 wood. Gagin Golfer posted this cool set of videos on another Mizuno thread one of which talks about bending lofts and lies - check it out when you get the chance.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Sparnar - I wouldn't worry about the gap in your transition - where ever that transition might be - either the Pros or the 53's are easily bent - I have my pros bent a bit strong in a descending sort of way to cover the logical gap between the 6 and 7 iron - it works and I've got a pretty consistent 12 yards through the bag to the 3 wood. Gagin Golfer posted this cool set of videos on another Mizuno thread one of which talks about bending lofts and lies - check it out when you get the chance.

Thanks, revkev. I will definitely keep that in mind.

Went to a different retailer today over lunch. The only demo club in those I am looking at, was a JPX 800 Pro 6i. I did not hit them as good as yesterday.

There was also a MP63 6i. Hit a few shots with them, only pured a couple, but boy oh boy, that felt really good. But no way, I could play those clubs.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

• 3 weeks later...

Having had both the MX-23 and now the JPX 825 Pro I can say a few things:

1. There is a tremendous difference between the two, with the 825 Pros being way better in terms of distance, forgiveness, and feel.

2. The 825 Pros are plenty forgiving, yet still workable.

3. With the 825 Pros, I consider all the irons scoring clubs, all the way down to the 4i. Even if I'm 220 -230 yds away I still expect to put the shot with 20 feet of my target when I hit it solidly. They are incredibly accurate, although some of that may be the shaft option I chose.

4. Mishits are not punishing at all in terms of distance or accuracy, unless you totally slide under the ball from the rough and catch it really high on the face.

5. Hitting more greens = more fun.

What's in the Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 10.5 (set to 11.5), Kuro Kage Aftermarket Only Blue 60S, NDMC+4

Fairway: Callaway Big Berth Alpha 815 14 (set to +2,N), Speeder 665 Stiff, NDMC

Hybrid: Adams XTD-ti 20 (set to 19.5), Matrix hQ3 Red Tie Stiff

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW, KBS Tour Stiff, 1* flat, Blue PURE DTX

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T11, 56/13 & 60/5, DG Spinner, Blue PURE DTX

Putter: Bettinardi Studio Stock 15, 34", 5* loft, 2* flat, SuperStroke Slim LITE 3.0 

Bag: Mizuno Aerolite SPR stand bag

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo Urethane (summer), Srixon Q-STAR Yellow (winter)

What tour do you play on Max?

For kicks I hit the 64's when I went for my fitting sparnar - Look you I nutted a couple but it's pretty much nut it or else with those - beautiful club though but not for me.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

For kicks I hit the 64's when I went for my fitting sparnar - Look you I nutted a couple but it's pretty much nut it or else with those - beautiful club though but not for me.

Thats pretty much the deal with MP irons. You need to hit it pretty solid if you are going to get the most of out those things. I love the way MPs look but unless you have a pretty good swing and have time to practice with them often; Id steer you more towards the JPXs.

What tour do you play on Max?

Good one, RevKev. You gave me a big laugh. Notice that I said "when I hit it solidly", not "every time I swing". That's why I'm not playing the MP59s or MP69s. I wasn't trying to brag. There are enough kids on the outside who do that. Seriously, though, I do expect a chance for a birdie putt even when I'm hitting 4i into the green (provided I'm not hitting my second shot from the rough or the trees). I struggle with driver. :)

Max

What's in the Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 10.5 (set to 11.5), Kuro Kage Aftermarket Only Blue 60S, NDMC+4

Putter: Bettinardi Studio Stock 15, 34", 5* loft, 2* flat, SuperStroke Slim LITE 3.0 

Just noting that the average distance from 210 on tour is around 45 feet my friend that's all. I want to keep reality and perspective here - it is always good to stand over the ball with realistic perspective - I expect to hit it on the green from 210 as well - I just happen to have 3 wood in my hand at that point. :)

It's also good to be confident so you get huge bonus points for that! ;)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

When I started playing golf, I did with a set of Mizuno MX-25's. I was wondering what would be the closest match in the current line-up to that MX-25 ? My gut says JPX 825 Pro.

In custom James Stewart golfbag:
Ping Tour-S Rustique 60/TS & 55/13 / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping i20 4-PW+UW / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping G15 2H 17° & driver 9° / stiff aldila serrano / ping 703
Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball / 33" / 2°up
Srixon AD333 - Oakley Flack Jacket XLJ G30

When I started playing golf, I did with a set of Mizuno MX-25's. I was wondering what would be the closest match in the current line-up to that MX-25 ? My gut says JPX 825 Pro.

825 Pro.

Good one, RevKev. You gave me a big laugh. Notice that I said "when I hit it solidly", not "every time I swing". That's why I'm not playing the MP59s or MP69s. I wasn't trying to brag. There are enough kids on the outside who do that. Seriously, though, I do expect a chance for a birdie putt even when I'm hitting 4i into the green (provided I'm not hitting my second shot from the rough or the trees). I struggle with driver. :)

Max

Very wise, Sir. However, I have found that, for me anyway, so much of the game is mental that too much reality can be distracting and ultimately self-defeating. While I expect good results all the time I don't always get them. Fortunately, or not, no one is keeping statistics on my results. If so I would have to give up my delusions, thereby undercutting my confidence and probably leading to worse results. I can't hit a great shot if I'm not confident. Thus, my perceptions may not always match reality (I can't say for sure) but it makes the game more fun when I forget the bad results. Tour pros don't have that luxury.

To get back on topic, after switching to the 825 Pros, I'm know about 1-1.5 clubs longer and way more accurate, even if I don't have a tape measure in my bag to prove it. And I know for sure because I've had to re-calibrate all my yardages and I'm having more birdie opportunities and shorter putts.

What's in the Bag:

I tried to respond to RevKev but I think I messed up and hit the wrong reply button. new spy still learning.

What's in the Bag:

I tried to respond to RevKev but I think I messed up and hit the wrong reply button. new spy still learning.

:)

Good luck with those clubs too - I love mine and will be using them today at 12:27

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived