Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

TRUE Tour Stand Bag -- REVIEW

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

True Tour Stand Bag

An Official MyGolfSpy.com Review

side 1.jpg

Can The Bag Match The Shoes?

I don't know the first thing about women's fashion. There, I said it. I usually remember to match my belt to my shoes, but all things handbag are out of my realm. When I talk about matching the bag matching the shoes, I am not talking about fashion anyway. In this case, I am talking about this golf bag matching the excellence of the TRUE shoes. You see, I love my TRUE Tours. I slobbered over them in a review last year (HERE) and I still find them to be the most comfortable golf shoe ever. I love the True Tours so much that I bought two more pairs last season just to have different colors. I may even look into wearing the TRUE Stealths to work. Their shoes are awesome.

Today is not about shoes though, rather the TRUE Tour Stand bag. Can this bag match the style, comfort, and performance of the TRUE shoes? Let's take a look. This bag definitely has some big shoes to fill. TRUE Dat. A good review is not a shoe in though. OK, I'll stop...

strap side.jpg

STYLE

Not everyone is a fan of the TRUE shoe style. I think that some of the new models and colors coming out in 2013 will change some minds. Did you check them out yet? (HERE) Anyway, the style of the TRUE Tour Stand bag definitely has the TRUE feel, but it is far more classically designed than the shoes lines. The bags are available in three colors: black, white, and grey. The white one that I tested is probably the boldest of the bunch, and it's not really that bold in today's market. All of the bags use red and the major accent color and display the TRUE logo in a couple of spots. The zippers are one of the cool cosmetic features. All of the zipper pulls feature the red and white TRUE logo. All in all, I like the style of the bag, but I actually would like to see some bolder colors available. I want some Kelly green and Electric Blue tossed in there somewhere. A grey/Kelly/charcoal bag would be awesome! Opinions on color vary, of course. Overall though, if you are a fan of TRUE's shoe style, you will like the looks of the bag. You probably like the bag's looks even if you are not that into the shoes.

Score: 20/20

side logo.jpg

pocket logo.jpg

zipper.jpg

COMFORT[/b][/size]

This small, light bag is intended to be carried. It weighs only 4 pounds and has a comfortable double strap system. The overall balance of the bag is good when filled up and strapped to your back. My only real knock on the bag is the back pad. I would like to see it be a little larger. The two-piece design looks cool, but I didn't find it as comfortable as pads found on some of the other bags out there. There are a lot of options available for ventilation and padding these days. This pad is the one place where I didn't really feel the TRUE legacy of innovation. It's an interesting shape, but the back pad's comfort is average. I expect a TRUE product's comfort to be excellent.

Score: 17/20

strap system.jpg

back pad.jpg

DESIGN AND QUALITY

The TRUE Tour Stand Bag is a lightweight bag, but it is made of sturdy materials (Ultralight 600 denier nylon) and should hold up through a season or two. I thought that the leg extension lever could be a possible weak point, but so far it has held up without even the slightest issue. The pockets that are there are nice and large. I stuffed a bunch of different clothing options in to the large side pocket. The only design change that I would like to see in the next generation is one additional small pocket near the top of the bag (by the red panel with the “T”). I am so used to having a pocket there that I constantly reached there to get my keys and the other items that live in that pocket. Maybe a lined pocket for valuables and such.

Score: 18/20

pocket.jpg

PLAYING WITH THE BAG – GENERAL IMPRESSIONS

The TRUE Tour Stand Bag is a fine gamer on the course. The straps comfortably fit across the shoulders. As mentioned, I would like a better pad system for the back, and I would even allow for a bit more weight in the bag to do it. I expected a bit of grip sticking from the 8.5”, four opening top, but the clubs went in and out without issue. I think that the smaller top actually performed better than some other bags in this aspect.

top.jpg

The bags pockets do hold quite a bit of gear for a small bag. There was a lot of extra clothing stuffed in the large side pocket when I took the bag out to play this winter. I was able to cram in a couple of tops, beanies, balls, Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey, and other random stuff. Even all loaded down, the bag stayed balanced on the back and on the ground. It's not as comfortable to carry when you load it all up with golf gear, but no bag is. I actually thought at one point that I wished the side pocket would be a bit smaller so I wouldn't put so much stuff in it.

PLAYING WITH THE BAG – VERSATILITY

Although the TRUE Tour Stand Bag is really meant to be carried, it also worked very well on the Clicgear. I had to make the straps a bit smaller to secure the bag, but after that it worked just great on the push cart. The leg extension lever fit nicely into the bottom bracket on the Clicgear as well. I did also use the TRUE Tour Stand Bag on a power cart and it performed as well as any light weight bag does on a riding cart. It stayed put, but didn't really bring anything special to the cart riding situation. Remember though, that this bag is designed to be carried. If you spend the majority of time riding, get a cart bag instead.

on clicgear.jpg

FINAL SCORE: 91/100

Summary

If you are looking for an attractive, high quality carry bag, then you should take a look at the TRUE Tour Stand Bag. If you are a fan of the TRUE shoes, like I am, then you will definitely dig the style of this bag. Even if you are a bit of a TRUE-bie (TRUE Newbie or is that TROOB?) you will still want to check out this bag. Maybe it will be the gateway purchase that brings you to buy the most comfortable golf shoes out there.

back.jpg

gear holfers.jpg

leg lever.jpg

legs.jpg

lower pocket.jpg

side pad.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

The only design change that I would like to see in the next generation is one additional small pocket near the top of the bag (by the red panel with the “T”). I am so used to having a pocket there that I constantly reached there to get my keys and the other items that live in that pocket. Maybe a lined pocket for valuables and such.

Nice review Dave, looks like a pretty solid bag although I agree with the comment about the pocket near the top of the bag. Pockets like that seem like a necessity for any good bag.

Nice review -- great looking bag!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Love it in white -- but the black is really sweet, too!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived