TESTERS WANTED! ×

A Question about tip weights

So now that my shafts are on their way and I will soon be assembling them I had a question about if I do or do not need to use tip weights when assembling them. I noticed when i pulled the old shafts there was a silver looking thing that the end. Also if I do need them how do i go about installing them correctly.

Sorry for what is probably a noob question but i appreciate any help i can get

Thanks

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

You use tip weights to adjust swingweight. You don't absolutely need them though.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Thanks, is there anyway I would be able to find out if i do or dont before getting everything assembled?

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

You can measure the swingweight of each iron before gluing and decide if it is where you want it to be.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

Just going to sum it up here.

You don't need to use tip weights. They are just a tool used to dial in a certain swing weight when you are building the clubs. Another popular method would be using tungsten powder. The powder is poured down the shaft until you get the desired weight and then you shove a cork down the shaft to hold it in place.

If you aren't building your irons to any particular spec then you don't really need them. I will add in the obligatory remark about getting fit though. I'd highly recommend finding out what works best for you, then you can always use those specs to build up your new set.

As BK already said you don't have to glue everything in right away. It's best to dry fit everything together and make sure you have the swing weight you want before you glue it up. Just make sure you have the grip installed when measuring the swing weight.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Thanks for all the advice, that really cleared up a lot for me

I sorta of don't agree with the people here talking about how you don't really need them if you are not building them to a specification. Almost every iron I have ever seen as a stock swing-weight number attached to it. Normally it is something like D1 or D2, however because of manufacturing process there is no way they will be EXACT, the head weight has built in tolerances.

For the most part heads will likely come in on the LIGHT side of things on error more often then heavy side, assuming the stock says D2 you are likely to find heads / swing weights that range from C9 to D2. Really, even if you are looking to keep them at manufactures specs exactly you will likely need the tip weights. The exception MIGHT be if you are getting the heads off a tour van where they are already pre-weighed and designated to a swing-weight at a given length.

You can do a calculation of what the swing weight will be based on the clubs components. Here is a document on calculations >> http://advancedballstriking.com/Swing_weights.pdf

No you don't absolutely have to have them but in a stock off the self pre-assembled set like you find in a golf store the swing weights 99.9% of the time will be all over the place. If you are doing the assembly yourself from scratch, you might as well get them right the first time instead of having to pull the shafts again later and re-do it.

If you are going to buy tip weights go with brass don't use the lead tips. Lead is cheaper and works fine but brass is nicer to work with and probably would last longer. You are likely to trash or sell the clubs before either would go bad though.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

jmiller is right that swingweights can and do vary. Do you absolutely need them? No. Will the set be more consistent with them? Yes. You just need to decide if you are willing to take the time to do the work.

You can do a calculation of what the swing weight will be based on the clubs components. Here is a document on calculations >> http://advancedballstriking.com/Swing_weights.pdf

That's a handy reference. I think there is a typo on page 8 in the first chart. The 2nd number in the last column should be 5", not 42.5". Technically it should be 4.88" but I assume they rounded.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

Well since I don't have a swing weight scale I think I'm going to have to do a trial and error to find out the right swing weight for me

I use tip weights because I prefer the look of them over lead tape. They are really more preferential on woods since it's difficult to find a spot for lead tape to go on a lot of driver designs. I use MOI matching instead of swingweight matching. My Wishon 52* wedge needed something like 21 grams of lead tape. So, I used a 9-gram hosel weight and 12 grams of lead tape. It came out a lot cleaner. Plus, over time the lead tape can whittle away.

But, tip weights are not mandatory.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

Well since I don't have a swing weight scale I think I'm going to have to do a trial and error to find out the right swing weight for me

You don't need a swing-weight scale you just need a scale that measures grams and a calculator.

Finding the "right" swing-weight for you involves a little more experimentation or a good fitter.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

• 8 years later...