TESTERS WANTED! ×

My Driver Fitting Experience

JBones

Thats what I'm hoping for. With a ball speed ratio up from 1.42 to 1.45, I think I can deal with it. Mike had it set to 8.75* when I was hitting it and with that Speeder, I was hitting it between 6.5*-12.1*.

Matt, did you hit the Covert Tour? If so, how did it stack up against the R1?

Yes, I hit the Covert Tour with the Matrix Black Tie shaft. I was averaging about 289-297 with the Covert Tour on the launch monitor. The R1 with the TP Phenom was in it's own category. My worst drive with the R1 was 302, the best 319. That was 8.75 and 2 degrees open. I am also skeptical of those launch monitor yardages. The fitter told me it was accurate within 3 yards but that seems farther than I normally hit it with those yardages. Maybe I turned into a Manimal this winter, I dunno!?!?

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the difference between the R1 and the R11 since you've experienced both Matt?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

What's the difference between the R1 and the R11 since you've experienced both Matt?

I know this is directed at Matt, since he has more experience, but I will give you my two cents, since I hit them both at my fitting.

To me, the R11 felt more "harsh", no matter where you hit it. It also had tremendous loss of ball speed on off center hits. The R1 feels more forgiving and the numbers back that up. I had faster balls speeds on heel and toe shots with the R1 than I had with center shots with the R11. The launch and spin are also significantly lower. I was not even interested in hitting it, because of the poor results I got with the R11 and it's looks. Mike put it together anyway and I'm glad he did. Add in the fact that it has so much adjustability and it was a no brainer.

WOW....there really are a boatload of good choices out there this year!

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Thanks for the input JBones there are any number of guys here whom I enjoy hearing from on a myriad of topics - you're one of them.

I like my R11 but would agree about the harshness of its feel and sound. I hit it well - very straight, just as long as anything else I've hit - I'm curious about misses being longer - I'm always most concerned about what happens when I miss because lets face it that's the key to shooting a good score - controlling your misses.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I hit it well - very straight, just as long as anything else I've hit - I'm curious about misses being longer - I'm always most concerned about what happens when I miss because lets face it that's the key to shooting a good score - controlling your misses.

I think this is where the shaft and head really work together. With the Motore Speeder, I no longer worry about missing dispersion wise (given it's not a horrible swing), so it came down to misses on the face. Misses on the face of the R1 were way longer than any other driver I hit. You should give it a try, the ball speed difference is amazing.

I know this is directed at Matt, since he has more experience, but I will give you my two cents, since I hit them both at my fitting.

To me, the R11 felt more "harsh", no matter where you hit it. It also had tremendous loss of ball speed on off center hits. The R1 feels more forgiving and the numbers back that up. I had faster balls speeds on heel and toe shots with the R1 than I had with center shots with the R11. The launch and spin are also significantly lower. I was not even interested in hitting it, because of the poor results I got with the R11 and it's looks. Mike put it together anyway and I'm glad he did. Add in the fact that it has so much adjustability and it was a no brainer.

The loss of ball speed is something I've heard from many people now, but I haven't tested myself, now I'm starting to wonder if I really should pick up an Xtreme :rolleyes:

Rev, I haven't been able to take it to the course yet. I have been working alot of extra hours of late. I will chime in after I can game it but my intital thought is that it feels like it "springs" off the face. Felt better than everything else I hit and the numbers showed.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

JBones, if the fitter suspected that the Devotion would be the best shaft for you why did he start with the Speeder? Did you try the R1 with the Devotion? (if you said already I apologize).

Congrats on the new gear.

What's in the Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 10.5 (set to 11.5), Kuro Kage Aftermarket Only Blue 60S, NDMC+4

Fairway: Callaway Big Berth Alpha 815 14 (set to +2,N), Speeder 665 Stiff, NDMC

Hybrid: Adams XTD-ti 20 (set to 19.5), Matrix hQ3 Red Tie Stiff

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW, KBS Tour Stiff, 1* flat, Blue PURE DTX

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T11, 56/13 & 60/5, DG Spinner, Blue PURE DTX

Putter: Bettinardi Studio Stock 15, 34", 5* loft, 2* flat, SuperStroke Slim LITE 3.0 

Bag: Mizuno Aerolite SPR stand bag

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo Urethane (summer), Srixon Q-STAR Yellow (winter)

JBones, if the fitter suspected that the Devotion would be the best shaft for you why did he start with the Speeder? Did you try the R1 with the Devotion? (if you said already I apologize).

Congrats on the new gear.

The Devotion was the shaft he had in mind before seeing me swing, just going off of what I told him about my swing. Upon seeing my launch and spin numbers, he went straight to the Speeder, because it was the strongest shaft he had. While I did hit the Devotion a little longer, it had a wider range of dispersion than the Speeder. The only reason I had decided to go with the Devotion was to save some $$, as the Devotion was $350 cheaper than the Speeder. I ended up getting a REALLY good deal on the Speeder, so I went with it; I decided I could live without 5yds to put the ball where I'm aiming. So to answer your question, no I didn't bother trying the R1/Devotion combo.

The Devotion was the shaft he had in mind before seeing me swing, just going off of what I told him about my swing. Upon seeing my launch and spin numbers, he went straight to the Speeder, because it was the strongest shaft he had. While I did hit the Devotion a little longer, it had a wider range of dispersion than the Speeder. The only reason I had decided to go with the Devotion was to save some $$, as the Devotion was $350 cheaper than the Speeder. I ended up getting a REALLY good deal on the Speeder, so I went with it; I decided I could live without 5yds to put the ball where I'm aiming. So to answer your question, no I didn't bother trying the R1/Devotion combo.

Well that all makes sense. I didn't realize the Speeders were running that much $. Glad it wouldn't fit me. Wouldn't want that temptation. :)

I've found that the good fitters will usually work with you on price if they can. They want their customers fit well and satisfied. Any profit they sacrifice on one transaction is easily made up when word of mouth brings them new customers.

Thanks for the good write up. Now folks will know what they should expect from a proper fitting by a professional.

What's in the Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 10.5 (set to 11.5), Kuro Kage Aftermarket Only Blue 60S, NDMC+4

Fairway: Callaway Big Berth Alpha 815 14 (set to +2,N), Speeder 665 Stiff, NDMC

Hybrid: Adams XTD-ti 20 (set to 19.5), Matrix hQ3 Red Tie Stiff

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW, KBS Tour Stiff, 1* flat, Blue PURE DTX

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T11, 56/13 & 60/5, DG Spinner, Blue PURE DTX

Putter: Bettinardi Studio Stock 15, 34", 5* loft, 2* flat, SuperStroke Slim LITE 3.0 

Bag: Mizuno Aerolite SPR stand bag

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo Urethane (summer), Srixon Q-STAR Yellow (winter)

Alright so JBones and Matt have convinced me to give the R1 a try whenever I get the chance - perhaps the Easter bunny will come through and give me a few bucks - actually I'll start the season with my R11 and after I'm done with all the weddings and have some scratch in the bank give the R1 a spin.

Thanks for both of your input.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I don't think you'll be disappointed, Rev. The ballspeed difference is amazing and I don't think I even flushed one when I was hitting it. I'm going to order mine, as soon as my shaft comes in.

Yeah well that changed today because my wife lost her job. So......... I think I love my current equipment so much that it's going to carry me through this season quite nicely thank you very much. :(

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Yeah well that changed today because my wife lost her job. So......... I think I love my current equipment so much that it's going to carry me through this season quite nicely thank you very much. :(

Sorry to hear that. I'll be losing my job later this year, so I have to buy all my stuff soon.

And I'm sorry to hear that JBones as well - my wife will have no trouble finding another job and frankly she's been unhappy at her work for the past two years. It's just a shame that the end had to come so soon and in such an ugly fashion - but she was having trouble pulling the trigger herself so I think it had to come in the way it did.

There will be ample time to consider an R1 in the future so it's something look forward too. :)

Right now I'm anxious for April to come and golf season to start - my league goes from the beginning of April until the end of October - I've very anxious to get to it with my new clubs in the bag.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

You guys don't know how depressing it is for all the mere mortals in this forum to read the numbers in this thread.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

You guys don't know how depressing it is for all the mere mortals in this forum to read the numbers in this thread.

There are probably only 2 people on these forums that can get JBone's numbers: JMiller and mrlongball. It's your handicap question all over again, but the point is you hit the ball as far as you hit it, who the hell cares what anyone else thinks?

I've played with a lot of random people and have only seen maybe 2 people who are capable of hitting 250+, not counting the LDA guy I meet at GG, that was just scary. He made JBones look like a wimpy girl.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good JBones and the graphics are growing on me.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

Not as good as that hot pink Adams is gonna look, but it'll do. :D

How true!

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

Looks great, cant wait to hear how it plays with the shaft

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Good luck Bones. I have been pondering the purchase for some time and pulled the trigger last week with the bill me later 6 month interest free deal. I got the TP for 265 free shipping. The guy had it listed at 300 or best offer I low balled at 250 he countered with 275 and I grabbed it for 265. NICE!!! Anyways, I went out and grabbed a proprietary shaft Matrix 7.1 since I didn't want to go crazy. I grabbed the shaft for 30 bucks which if it works out it'll be great. I asked the matrix customer service how it would compare to my aftermarket Xcon 7 and he said it would play softer. I grabbed a stiff instead of regular and tipped it a 1/4 inch to try and compensate. It will be put into action today. The first couple waggles felt like the same kick in my xcon with a little more stability.

If I don't like the flight I will pull my xcon 7 and put it in this baby to see how it goes. if not I will have it up for sale on ebay after that. The graphics are an afterthought once you have this thing in your hands.

The RBZ currently gaming has been hard to beat but if the ball speeds are that differnt then I may get what I want (little more distance). For a short guy I poke it out there pretty good (255-270 average with roll) I am really looking for more fairways overall. the fujikura fuel was phenominal but 225 is tough to drop after dropping 325 on the xcon a year and a half ago.

I hit the stock aldila and didn't like it so that is up for sale on ebay now too so my total cost may dwindle some more.....

I put this togther over the week and can't wait for 3PM to hit.

The RBZ currently gaming has been hard to beat but if the ball speeds are that differnt then I may get what I want (little more distance). For a short guy I poke it out there pretty good (255-270 average with roll) I am really looking for more fairways overall. the fujikura fuel was phenominal but 225 is tough to drop after dropping 325 on the xcon a year and a half ago.

Didn't even try the RBZ, due to my spin/launch. What I can tell you about the R1 is that I was getting 167-169mph ball speeds, while only getting a 1.45 Smash Factor. I hit one that was 1.48 Smash and gave me 172 ball speed with a 305 carry. Once I get my swing straightened out, this thing is gonna be long and straight.

Didn't even try the RBZ, due to my spin/launch. What I can tell you about the R1 is that I was getting 167-169mph ball speeds, while only getting a 1.45 Smash Factor. I hit one that was 1.48 Smash and gave me 172 ball speed with a 305 carry. Once I get my swing straightened out, this thing is gonna be long and straight.

Nice my ball speed has been slightly lower mid/high 150's with a smash about 1.47-1.48. this is good news considering you see an increase in 3-5 range this should get in around 160 which is definitely a pickup if the mishits are the same as the RBZ we are golden. I also think my RBZ launches a bit high which this time of the year is killing me with soft turf. if I can lower the launch a tad (mid/low launch shaft with low launch face) and increase ball speed we are looking close to ten yards....UM WOW! we shall soon find out. The one par five at my home muni is always open after work and I know where I drive the ball when it's cranked with my RBZ the problem is trying not to top it and just putting good swings to see if there really is a difference. I don't have access to a launch monitor just yet.

The option of face adjustment will allow me to fine tune as well so unless this shaft feels terrible and/or the ball is all over the place I see a win win...damn the clock is like a turtle today.

Hey Bones when you went for your fitting did you have in mind certain models you wanted in mind or not?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Archived