TESTERS WANTED! ×

My Driver Fitting Experience

JBones

Hey Bones when you went for your fitting did you have in mind certain models you wanted in mind or not?

No sir. Before I went in, I told the fitter, that I had high spin/high launch numbers, so he could get an idea of what he wanted to set up. The only thing I wanted to hit was the Adams Super LS, which wasn't a good fit at all.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just hit the R1, man I thought the Rocketbladez irons were easy to hit. Since I have the stock Stiff shaft in it, I cranked it down to 8*. I was hitting BOMBS that were carrying a mile and running out another mile..........and it was only 39*. The kicker was that every ball that I hit went exactly where I was aiming. I'm in love.

Bonesy,

You beat me to it you son of a gun!!!! Temp is 41 with 24 mph winds. I took to the range to warm up and work on the swing. hit a good eighty balls before I took out the big dogs. Yes it wasa Competition after all rbz last year vs r1...dum dum dum dum!!!!!!

So I was having trouble seeing the balls land on the range but I had a clue from the ball flight. Rbz felt good but it was a bit high off the jump which I had stated before . Love that club oops sorry use past tense already.....

So I started with the r1 on the setting between 8.75 up not knowing what setting was what but it looked pretty good at setup ball came out hot. You weren't kidding when you said JUMPS off the face. I thought it was a bit low so moved to 9.5 up and bam bam bam nice flight but again though it looked maybe a little low but my swing was a little out of sorts. Backed off and took some practice swings and then we had it. Decided to tinker and see if I could get it a little higher but the next setting looked closed so I opened the face. Little hooks. I fear the hooks as that has been my miss for years. Opened it up twice more and then I had ballooning hangers.

Decided to take to the course I hit two off the first tee dead into the breeze and all carry was about 255-258 not bad the rbz was seven yards back due the ballooning. I turned to the 18 hole which is parallel and down wind. Teed up the rbz lands bounces a few times ten yards short of the green. This hole is 283. Thinking okay that's where I normally hit it this time off year. Take out the r1 first one tried to jump on and hook. Uh oh!!! Next two were great swings with baby fades no lie 7&17 yards further I attribute the 17 yards to the golf ball. The 7 yarder was 330 rx which is the same ball I used with the rbz. The other ball the pro v1x

Here's the kicker the ground is soft and this thing got mid flight didn't want to land and when it did it hit Just short of the green of the green and ran ten yards this is what I am looking for; the roll after ground contact.

So I take a walk back to the tee saying this thing can't be 17 yards further it can't not my baby my rbz so I tee the rbz up with the prov1x and okay it's 8 yard further but the rbz again had no roll.

The tenth tee is right next to 18 green slightly into wind right to left. I take out two scuffed balls 330rx. Now the 10 at my course is a tough par four 230 layup off the tee with a 215 shot up hill into the green. There is a creek which is 275 carry. So I said to myself ...self.... You would never try this in these conditions when playing a normal round lets just give it a go. I have cleared this creek on wild scramble swings never with a smooth tempo. Tee it up and let it fly splash at the back end of the creek twice. No doubt without the wind they would've carried. Also the first one was off the toe.

Mishits went where you intend unless its a horrible swing...see hooks. But all in all great product good luck with yours mine is IN THE BAG!!!!!!

I had my first on course experience with the R1 today and I'm REALLY exited about the upcoming season. I hit 11/13 fairways and averaged 297.4yds on damp fairways. Two of those drives were over 320 and the two shortest were around 270, one into a fairway bunker and the other a toe shot into the wind. All this is with the stock RIP Phenom, which just blows my mind, because it SHOULDN'T be a good fit for me.

I had my first on course experience with the R1 today and I'm REALLY exited about the upcoming season. I hit 11/13 fairways and averaged 297.4yds on damp fairways. Two of those drives were over 320 and the two shortest were around 270, one into a fairway bunker and the other a toe shot into the wind. All this is with the stock RIP Phenom, which just blows my mind, because it SHOULDN'T be a good fit for me.

I've decided fittings make very little sense and you can't go by the numbers. On these forums I've heard different people say the R1 is the spinnest and lowest spinning head they've ever tried. Same is true with the Covert and probably all the other heads and is probably true for shafts too.

If it works, don't f with it, just enjoy it I say!

I've decided fittings make very little sense and you can't go by the numbers. On these forums I've heard different people say the R1 is the spinnest and lowest spinning head they've ever tried. Same is true with the Covert and probably all the other heads and is probably true for shafts too.

If it works, don't f with it, just enjoy it I say!

Used to sell running shoes on the side. It's parallel to driver fittings is similar. Many times runners would approach me with preconceived ideas of what they wanted or thought they needed. While the experienced often knew what to look for, the novices and less experienced often were lead by marketing hype and well meaning recommendations. But feet and running gaits are very similar to golf swings. All different and requiring proper fitting to achieve the best results.

A good technician blends the proper shaft, head, loft and golfer. The numbers merely narrow the search for the right mix. Much more a tool then an end result. I've only done a big box store fitting (I was lucky to have run into a competent and engaged fitter) but even that helped me tremendously. If nothing else, I learned that if I delved further, the numbers would have lead me to an even more suitable driver/shaft combo (at far more expense, of course :)). The numbers are only as good as the interpreter. There is no one club that's best for all. As you say, once you find something that works, run with it.

Well, Swing Speed doesn't always translate directly into the proper flex for a player. Honestly, flex is mostly a measure of butt stiffness it really doesn't tell us the full profile of a shaft in terms of tip section and middle section playability.

You can have a Regular flex that is super tip stiff (there is not a reason to manufacture this shaft really), just like you can have a X-Stiff shaft that is really tip soft (A few of these exist). The Flex is more about how firm the shaft needs to feel to the player in transition. The tip section is more about how the shaft needs to preform in the release / into impact for the player.

You very well might have a smooth transition, then a late / hard release so a Stiff Flex & Super Tip Stiff shaft could work out for you just fine.

Maybe it is the swing changes that we talked about giving you a little more control of the club with really getting club head speed from 1/2 way down into impact rather then directly from the top, smoothing out your transition a little and increasing the release factor by a little.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Maybe it is the swing changes that we talked about giving you a little more control of the club with really getting club head speed from 1/2 way down into impact rather then directly from the top, smoothing out your transition a little and increasing the release factor by a little.

I think you are right there.

I did have the head cranked down to 8* and the shaft CPM'd on the higher side of Stiff. Switching over to the Speeder Tour Spec XS should allow me to crank the head up to around 10*, while keeping the spin low, so that hopefully I will get more carry with the same amount of roll. I don't see any reason why I shouldn't be able to get a 300-305 average with that set up.

Plus the great thing about the R1 is that if I feel like I need to change shafts, it only takes a few turns of the wrench.

Yup that's what makes adjustable drivers nice, you just have to buy the adjuster sleeves to place on the tip of the shaft then a few turns of the wrench and you switch them out in about 1 minute. Makes for testing shafts very easy, hit a few with one shaft switch shafts hit a few more, same head same loft so it's closer to apples-to-apples that you can really get.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Also, I seriously wonder how many R1s have been sold due to this thread, I'm sure it's more than a few!

Hey Wd,

Do you really mean the fittings? I can't agree less if you are saying fitting make little sense. to each their own and maybe that is for you but for the vast majoirty I would highly recommend it. the proper swing needs to be put on a properly fitted club but the misses on properly fitted equipment can help an average joe gain dramatic in scoring (lack of penalty strokes etc).

Also, not sure how many R1's sold due to this site but that isn't our intent. or at least my intent. When I like something I speak to it and Vice Versa. The RBZ was a good fit for me last year and I hit the majority of clubs to see hwo they react to my swing again this helps withthe fitting becasue I knwo my stats and my restrictions/ capabilities. this allows me to choose wisely.

Hey Wd,

Do you really mean the fittings? I can't agree less if you are saying fitting make little sense. to each their own and maybe that is for you but for the vast majoirty I would highly recommend it. the proper swing needs to be put on a properly fitted club but the misses on properly fitted equipment can help an average joe gain dramatic in scoring (lack of penalty strokes etc).

Also, not sure how many R1's sold due to this site but that isn't our intent. or at least my intent. When I like something I speak to it and Vice Versa. The RBZ was a good fit for me last year and I hit the majority of clubs to see hwo they react to my swing again this helps withthe fitting becasue I knwo my stats and my restrictions/ capabilities. this allows me to choose wisely.

I probably worded it wrong. I'm all for getting fit, but it makes very little sense that the stock shaft worked well for JBones until you read his fitter's explanation. It really does go to show that stock shafts shouldn't be shunned like we tend to do on this site, there's a very good reason they are stock.

But what's wrong with being curious as to how many R1s were sold due to this thread? We all know JBones paid for his driver and is no way affiliated with TM, but the kind of numbers he was putting out sure as hell made me want to try the R1 again. I did and again, it didn't work for me.

I probably worded it wrong. I'm all for getting fit, but it makes very little sense that the stock shaft worked well for JBones until you read his fitter's explanation. It really does go to show that stock shafts shouldn't be shunned like we tend to do on this site, there's a very good reason they are stock.

But what's wrong with being curious as to how many R1s were sold due to this thread? We all know JBones paid for his driver and is no way affiliated with TM, but the kind of numbers he was putting out sure as hell made me want to try the R1 again. I did and again, it didn't work for me.

I thought you didn't mean you were against fitting..

HAHAHA nothing wrong with being curious at all I make alot of much "TRY" purchases through reviews from the staff and members alike. I agree about the stock shafts too. funny thing I did with my R1 is put a proprietary matrix code 7.1 stiff in it (i have the Aftermarket xcon 7 regular in my RBZ) I did this as an experiment thinking I would be pulling the xcon in a week and putting it in the R1. The shaft fits perfect (plays a little weaker than the aftermarket which gets me the kcik even iwth a stiff) and the mid launch low spin face works great for me.

JBones have you had a chance to play with your new driver or at least to hit it and if so how is it comparing to when you tested it. We recently had that blog out front that suggested that tolerances on drivers aren't what we'd like them to be. Just wondering if you think you got what you ordered.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

JBones have you had a chance to play with your new driver or at least to hit it and if so how is it comparing to when you tested it. We recently had that blog out front that suggested that tolerances on drivers aren't what we'd like them to be. Just wondering if you think you got what you ordered.

I haven't got my Fuji shaft yet, but even with the stock shaft it exceeded my expectations. I've had it on the course once and just flat striped it; hit 11/13 fairways at an average of 297.4yds (GPS measured). The two fairways that I missed were due to overcooking a draw into a fairway bunker and hitting through the fairway on a dogleg.

When I get the new shaft I should be able to add loft and cut even a little more spin, leading to longer carry and roll.........I'm hoping anyway. We'll see, but so far so good.

I haven't had the head lofted or anything, so I can't speak to tolerances in the actual head. He did frequency the three stock shafts, so he could give me the stiffest and they varied quite a bit, from a soft Stiff to a firm Stiff (which is the one I got).

I haven't got my Fuji shaft yet, but even with the stock shaft it exceeded my expectations. I've had it on the course once and just flat striped it; hit 11/13 fairways at an average of 297.4yds (GPS measured). The two fairways that I missed were due to overcooking a draw into a fairway bunker and hitting through the fairway on a dogleg.

When I get the new shaft I should be able to add loft and cut even a little more spin, leading to longer carry and roll.........I'm hoping anyway. We'll see, but so far so good.

I haven't had the head lofted or anything, so I can't speak to tolerances in the actual head. He did frequency the three stock shafts, so he could give me the stiffest and they varied quite a bit, from a soft Stiff to a firm Stiff (which is the one I got).

You are going to love the Fuji shaft. It's exactly what I got in my 913D3 albeit in S. I'm hitting flat, low spin bullets...

You are going to love the Fuji shaft. It's exactly what I got in my 913D3 albeit in S. I'm hitting flat, low spin bullets...

I've hit the R1 with the Fuji on the LM, but we didn't tinker with the head, just left it at 8.75* neutral and I was hitting low bullets, so I'm going to hit again on the LM to get the optimal setup, once I get the shaft.

My Speeder Tour Spec has shipped and I should have it sometime this week. Once I get it put together, I'll get up some pics.

On to the results. I played my 2nd round with the R1 and had amazing results again; I only hit 5/10 fairways, but it was due to smashing it through fairways and I was even taking more aggressive lines that what I did with my old set up. I average 303.3 on the day (GPS measured).

Stats so far.

Fariways - 16/23 (70%)

Avg Dist - 300.3

My Speeder Tour Spec has shipped and I should have it sometime this week. Once I get it put together, I'll get up some pics.

On to the results. I played my 2nd round with the R1 and had amazing results again; I only hit 5/10 fairways, but it was due to smashing it through fairways and I was even taking more aggressive lines that what I did with my old set up. I average 303.3 on the day (GPS measured).

Stats so far.

Fariways - 16/23 (70%)

Avg Dist - 300.3

are you going to install a separate tip so you can compare the stock aganist the speeder?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Yes, sir. Hopefully will have time to test that this week.

Awesome! Can't wait to hear how it goes

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• 2 weeks later...

Archived