2 Weeks Remaining: MODERATOR WANTED Join the MyGolfSpy Staff! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JBones

My Driver Fitting Experience

Back in the day I used to be "Bubba long" and I didn't care if I was in the fairway. After getting older and fracturing my wrist a couple times, I lost 40yds. A lot of my misses were playing well away from trouble, mainly because I didn't have the confidence to play to a part of the fairway away from trouble. I'm looking for the perfect combo of distance and accuracy with this fit. If I can double my fairways hit at 290yds, then I'll be back down to a 2 in no time.

Really enjoyed the write up. Similar experience, although different path. I've always wanted a fitting but had put it off until a couple weeks ago. I went to a big box store and got a tremendous fitting, although admittedly I went through two guys (both were very helpful and offered different approaches). The first guy helped spot a swing problem and had me on a flatter trajectory. But he seemed to be fitting me to what worked for him. A shorter guy with lower swing speed and a flatter swing. Looking at the swing speed, ball speed, spin rate, launch angle etc I have a good idea of where I was at. He wanted me to take a higher lofted driver (10.5) which I knew from experience on simulators wouldn't work for me . I DID get to hit some clubs and found a few I wanted to spend more time with. So I came back this week and went to the other fitter. He was my age and first thing he did was ask me questions about my ball flight, what my goals were and watched me swing. He did a nice job breaking down my swing and interpreting the numbers. I had brought in my old driver which I bought using the old method. Read reviews, went out and swung it a few times and then bought one online..I am 54 and have had a few drivers the last few years. I had reconciled myself to losing distance to age and was concentrating on hitting more fairways. Eight years ago I was hitting 320 in Remax LD senior division competition. But my drives with my Cobra ZL last summer (8.5 Stiff) were 250-280 and I HAD to slow down to keep it in the fairway. After reading enough reviews like yours on getting fit, I began to suspect it wasn't all me.

The fitting was an eye opener (especially the second day). I swung the Cobra for reference and then swung Pings, Titleist, Callaway and the new Cobra AMP Pro. To keep it brief, I found a couple (the Callaway Xtreme and Cobra AMP Pro) that worked for me (I liked the 440 head vs the 460 for both appearance and control). Without belaboring the details, I ended up with an 8.5 head and an X- stiff shaft on the Callaway. My swing speed was still respectable at 117, but spin and launch angle were sucking distance. Then the fitter switched the weights and opened the club face. It was a revelation. I was hitting it straight to a slight draw in the upper 290s on the simulator. The Trinity X-stiff shaft felt like an extension of my left arm and I could smooth the tempo or push it hard. Launch angle was much lower (I have no problem getting height) and a far more penetrating trajectory leading to a better roll out. My carry was consistent at 280, pretty amazing to me since I was ending at 260-280 total with my Cobra. Getting some roll out again was great. Anyway, I bought the club at retail, which I justified by figuring I got a free fitting. The guys on here is why I finally took the time to do it right. Thanks (even if I am $400 lighter in the wallet! )

I'm glad you had a good experience too, Sprinkler. I also would have never gone for a fitting before joining this site. I have always been knowledgeable about my swing, but I was never knowledgeable about equipment, like I am now.

Went back in today to make sure the Anser/Devotion was what I really wanted, before pulling the trigger. Mike insisted that I hit the R1 (it wasn't available when I was fit). Long story short, I'm getting the R1 with the Motore Speeder Tour Spec 7.2 XS. My average distance was only about 2yds farther, but the launch was down 2* (at the 8.75* setting) and the spin was about 100RPM less. The ball speed was quite a bit higher though, I went from a 163.5mph avearage up to about 166.3 average. I was consistently in the upper 290s on overall distance with a few bad swings bringing the average down a little.

Went back in today to make sure the Anser/Devotion was what I really wanted, before pulling the trigger. Mike insisted that I hit the R1 (it wasn't available when I was fit). Long story short, I'm getting the R1 with the Motore Speeder Tour Spec 7.2 XS. My average distance was only about 2yds farther, but the launch was down 2* (at the 8.75* setting) and the spin was about 100RPM less. The ball speed was quite a bit higher though, I went from a 163.5mph avearage up to about 166.3 average. I was consistently in the upper 290s on overall distance with a few bad swings bringing the average down a little.

That's awesome that it was ok for you to go back to double check the numbers. Wouldn't have assumed that about the R1, but I did watch someone at GG the other day nailing every shot 290 yards.

That's awesome that it was ok for you to go back to double check the numbers. Wouldn't have assumed that about the R1, but I did watch someone at GG the other day nailing every shot 290 yards.

The R1 is a lot like the RBladez irons, it's difficult to look at, but the results are so good that I have to bag it. I hit a few that would probably be 330ish during the summer; they launched between 8-9* with around 2000rpm spin, a 1.50 smash, and 169mph ball speed. On those the LM was giving me a 275ish carry with a 290 total, which we both knew would be much longer on the course.

I forgot to add that I'm going with the Speeder Tour Spec, because I got a deal that was way too good to pass up. I'm really stoked about getting this setup, especially with the added adjustability of the R1. I'm just spectating, but I think my settings will be 9.25* and 1 open.

I forgot to add that I'm going with the Speeder Tour Spec, because I got a deal that was way too good to pass up. I'm really stoked about getting this setup, especially with the added adjustability of the R1. I'm just spectating, but I think my settings will be 9.25* and 1 open.

I bought the R1 as well after hitting several different combo's of heads/shafts a couple weeks ago. 8.75 degrees loft, 2 degrees open and the RIP phenom TP shaft is what I had the best results with. I kinda like the way it looks, it's growing on me.

....it's growing on me.

Thats what I'm hoping for. With a ball speed ratio up from 1.42 to 1.45, I think I can deal with it. Mike had it set to 8.75* when I was hitting it and with that Speeder, I was hitting it between 6.5*-12.1*.

Matt, did you hit the Covert Tour? If so, how did it stack up against the R1?

Thats what I'm hoping for. With a ball speed ratio up from 1.42 to 1.45, I think I can deal with it. Mike had it set to 8.75* when I was hitting it and with that Speeder, I was hitting it between 6.5*-12.1*.

Matt, did you hit the Covert Tour? If so, how did it stack up against the R1?

Yes, I hit the Covert Tour with the Matrix Black Tie shaft. I was averaging about 289-297 with the Covert Tour on the launch monitor. The R1 with the TP Phenom was in it's own category. My worst drive with the R1 was 302, the best 319. That was 8.75 and 2 degrees open. I am also skeptical of those launch monitor yardages. The fitter told me it was accurate within 3 yards but that seems farther than I normally hit it with those yardages. Maybe I turned into a Manimal this winter, I dunno!?!?

What's the difference between the R1 and the R11 since you've experienced both Matt?

What's the difference between the R1 and the R11 since you've experienced both Matt?

I know this is directed at Matt, since he has more experience, but I will give you my two cents, since I hit them both at my fitting.

To me, the R11 felt more "harsh", no matter where you hit it. It also had tremendous loss of ball speed on off center hits. The R1 feels more forgiving and the numbers back that up. I had faster balls speeds on heel and toe shots with the R1 than I had with center shots with the R11. The launch and spin are also significantly lower. I was not even interested in hitting it, because of the poor results I got with the R11 and it's looks. Mike put it together anyway and I'm glad he did. Add in the fact that it has so much adjustability and it was a no brainer.

Thanks for the input JBones there are any number of guys here whom I enjoy hearing from on a myriad of topics - you're one of them.

I like my R11 but would agree about the harshness of its feel and sound. I hit it well - very straight, just as long as anything else I've hit - I'm curious about misses being longer - I'm always most concerned about what happens when I miss because lets face it that's the key to shooting a good score - controlling your misses.

I hit it well - very straight, just as long as anything else I've hit - I'm curious about misses being longer - I'm always most concerned about what happens when I miss because lets face it that's the key to shooting a good score - controlling your misses.

I think this is where the shaft and head really work together. With the Motore Speeder, I no longer worry about missing dispersion wise (given it's not a horrible swing), so it came down to misses on the face. Misses on the face of the R1 were way longer than any other driver I hit. You should give it a try, the ball speed difference is amazing.

I know this is directed at Matt, since he has more experience, but I will give you my two cents, since I hit them both at my fitting.

To me, the R11 felt more "harsh", no matter where you hit it. It also had tremendous loss of ball speed on off center hits. The R1 feels more forgiving and the numbers back that up. I had faster balls speeds on heel and toe shots with the R1 than I had with center shots with the R11. The launch and spin are also significantly lower. I was not even interested in hitting it, because of the poor results I got with the R11 and it's looks. Mike put it together anyway and I'm glad he did. Add in the fact that it has so much adjustability and it was a no brainer.

The loss of ball speed is something I've heard from many people now, but I haven't tested myself, now I'm starting to wonder if I really should pick up an Xtreme :rolleyes:

I don't play TMAG drivers but I've tried both the R11s and the R1. The R11s didn't feel good at all but I have to admit, the R1 felt decent but I still can't get over the crown graphics.

Rev, I haven't been able to take it to the course yet. I have been working alot of extra hours of late. I will chime in after I can game it but my intital thought is that it feels like it "springs" off the face. Felt better than everything else I hit and the numbers showed.

JBones, if the fitter suspected that the Devotion would be the best shaft for you why did he start with the Speeder? Did you try the R1 with the Devotion? (if you said already I apologize).

Congrats on the new gear.