2 Weeks Remaining: MODERATOR WANTED Join the MyGolfSpy Staff! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JBones

My Driver Fitting Experience

JBones, if the fitter suspected that the Devotion would be the best shaft for you why did he start with the Speeder? Did you try the R1 with the Devotion? (if you said already I apologize).

Congrats on the new gear.

The Devotion was the shaft he had in mind before seeing me swing, just going off of what I told him about my swing. Upon seeing my launch and spin numbers, he went straight to the Speeder, because it was the strongest shaft he had. While I did hit the Devotion a little longer, it had a wider range of dispersion than the Speeder. The only reason I had decided to go with the Devotion was to save some $$, as the Devotion was $350 cheaper than the Speeder. I ended up getting a REALLY good deal on the Speeder, so I went with it; I decided I could live without 5yds to put the ball where I'm aiming. So to answer your question, no I didn't bother trying the R1/Devotion combo.

The Devotion was the shaft he had in mind before seeing me swing, just going off of what I told him about my swing. Upon seeing my launch and spin numbers, he went straight to the Speeder, because it was the strongest shaft he had. While I did hit the Devotion a little longer, it had a wider range of dispersion than the Speeder. The only reason I had decided to go with the Devotion was to save some $$, as the Devotion was $350 cheaper than the Speeder. I ended up getting a REALLY good deal on the Speeder, so I went with it; I decided I could live without 5yds to put the ball where I'm aiming. So to answer your question, no I didn't bother trying the R1/Devotion combo.

Well that all makes sense. I didn't realize the Speeders were running that much $. Glad it wouldn't fit me. Wouldn't want that temptation. :)

I've found that the good fitters will usually work with you on price if they can. They want their customers fit well and satisfied. Any profit they sacrifice on one transaction is easily made up when word of mouth brings them new customers.

Thanks for the good write up. Now folks will know what they should expect from a proper fitting by a professional.

Alright so JBones and Matt have convinced me to give the R1 a try whenever I get the chance - perhaps the Easter bunny will come through and give me a few bucks - actually I'll start the season with my R11 and after I'm done with all the weddings and have some scratch in the bank give the R1 a spin.

Thanks for both of your input.

I don't think you'll be disappointed, Rev. The ballspeed difference is amazing and I don't think I even flushed one when I was hitting it. I'm going to order mine, as soon as my shaft comes in.

I don't think you'll be disappointed, Rev. The ballspeed difference is amazing and I don't think I even flushed one when I was hitting it. I'm going to order mine, as soon as my shaft comes in.

Yeah well that changed today because my wife lost her job. So......... I think I love my current equipment so much that it's going to carry me through this season quite nicely thank you very much. :(

Yeah well that changed today because my wife lost her job. So......... I think I love my current equipment so much that it's going to carry me through this season quite nicely thank you very much. :(

Sorry to hear that. I'll be losing my job later this year, so I have to buy all my stuff soon.

And I'm sorry to hear that JBones as well - my wife will have no trouble finding another job and frankly she's been unhappy at her work for the past two years. It's just a shame that the end had to come so soon and in such an ugly fashion - but she was having trouble pulling the trigger herself so I think it had to come in the way it did.

There will be ample time to consider an R1 in the future so it's something look forward too. :)

Right now I'm anxious for April to come and golf season to start - my league goes from the beginning of April until the end of October - I've very anxious to get to it with my new clubs in the bag.

You guys don't know how depressing it is for all the mere mortals in this forum to read the numbers in this thread.

There are probably only 2 people on these forums that can get JBone's numbers: JMiller and mrlongball. It's your handicap question all over again, but the point is you hit the ball as far as you hit it, who the hell cares what anyone else thinks?

I've played with a lot of random people and have only seen maybe 2 people who are capable of hitting 250+, not counting the LDA guy I meet at GG, that was just scary. He made JBones look like a wimpy girl.

There's a guy here in his 50's that makes me look like a wimpy guy; not only can he hit it 350, but he's a +1 handicap.

It's mine, ALL MINE.

Still waiting on my shaft to come in, but I went ahead and bought the driver.

rsz_photo_8.jpg

rsz_photo_3.jpg

Looks good JBones and the graphics are growing on me.

Not as good as that hot pink Adams is gonna look, but it'll do. :D

Good luck Bones. I have been pondering the purchase for some time and pulled the trigger last week with the bill me later 6 month interest free deal. I got the TP for 265 free shipping. The guy had it listed at 300 or best offer I low balled at 250 he countered with 275 and I grabbed it for 265. NICE!!! Anyways, I went out and grabbed a proprietary shaft Matrix 7.1 since I didn't want to go crazy. I grabbed the shaft for 30 bucks which if it works out it'll be great. I asked the matrix customer service how it would compare to my aftermarket Xcon 7 and he said it would play softer. I grabbed a stiff instead of regular and tipped it a 1/4 inch to try and compensate. It will be put into action today. The first couple waggles felt like the same kick in my xcon with a little more stability.

If I don't like the flight I will pull my xcon 7 and put it in this baby to see how it goes. if not I will have it up for sale on ebay after that. The graphics are an afterthought once you have this thing in your hands.

The RBZ currently gaming has been hard to beat but if the ball speeds are that differnt then I may get what I want (little more distance). For a short guy I poke it out there pretty good (255-270 average with roll) I am really looking for more fairways overall. the fujikura fuel was phenominal but 225 is tough to drop after dropping 325 on the xcon a year and a half ago.

I hit the stock aldila and didn't like it so that is up for sale on ebay now too so my total cost may dwindle some more.....

I put this togther over the week and can't wait for 3PM to hit.

The RBZ currently gaming has been hard to beat but if the ball speeds are that differnt then I may get what I want (little more distance). For a short guy I poke it out there pretty good (255-270 average with roll) I am really looking for more fairways overall. the fujikura fuel was phenominal but 225 is tough to drop after dropping 325 on the xcon a year and a half ago.

Didn't even try the RBZ, due to my spin/launch. What I can tell you about the R1 is that I was getting 167-169mph ball speeds, while only getting a 1.45 Smash Factor. I hit one that was 1.48 Smash and gave me 172 ball speed with a 305 carry. Once I get my swing straightened out, this thing is gonna be long and straight.

Didn't even try the RBZ, due to my spin/launch. What I can tell you about the R1 is that I was getting 167-169mph ball speeds, while only getting a 1.45 Smash Factor. I hit one that was 1.48 Smash and gave me 172 ball speed with a 305 carry. Once I get my swing straightened out, this thing is gonna be long and straight.

Nice my ball speed has been slightly lower mid/high 150's with a smash about 1.47-1.48. this is good news considering you see an increase in 3-5 range this should get in around 160 which is definitely a pickup if the mishits are the same as the RBZ we are golden. I also think my RBZ launches a bit high which this time of the year is killing me with soft turf. if I can lower the launch a tad (mid/low launch shaft with low launch face) and increase ball speed we are looking close to ten yards....UM WOW! we shall soon find out. The one par five at my home muni is always open after work and I know where I drive the ball when it's cranked with my RBZ the problem is trying not to top it and just putting good swings to see if there really is a difference. I don't have access to a launch monitor just yet.

The option of face adjustment will allow me to fine tune as well so unless this shaft feels terrible and/or the ball is all over the place I see a win win...damn the clock is like a turtle today.

Hey Bones when you went for your fitting did you have in mind certain models you wanted in mind or not?