TESTERS WANTED! ×

True Temper brings back the Spinner wedge shaft!

SPY ZINGER

Unbelievable. They lock down the grooves and then shaft companies get into the fight. I used to have Spinner shafts in all my wedges so I'm very excited about this. Not excited about the fact that Rory is gaming it. Even when he does a regular interview, he borders on being a tool.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

My buddy and I were just having a laugh about this the other day. We can't spin a wedge back to save our lives and that is with the non-conforming grooves.

Where does that leave us when we go conforming? We'll probably have to land it 10 yards short of the green and let it roll on up there.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

My buddy and I were just having a laugh about this the other day. We can't spin a wedge back to save our lives and that is with the non-conforming grooves.

Where does that leave us when we go conforming? We'll probably have to land it 10 yards short of the green and let it roll on up there.

I recall reading/hearing a Tour pro say, "Nobody ever made money backing up a golf ball." The only shot that I backed up in Myrtle was backing up away from the hole.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I recall reading/hearing a Tour pro say, "Nobody ever made money backing up a golf ball." The only shot that I backed up in Myrtle was backing up away from the hole.

He just said that to keep the rest of us down.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Have you guys hit an MD grooved wedge from Callaway? It's almost impossible to NOT spin it.

i agree and almost impossible to not chew a ball up with it.

picked up a new one the other day, a PM grind. Great sole.....grooves are crazy. almost too much IMO

People Sleep Peacibly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

Have you guys hit an MD grooved wedge from Callaway? It's almost impossible to NOT spin it.

I like my balls too much.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

True enough, they do eat, that's for sure. I would like to get one of these Spinners in my 64* JAWS.

That would be a potent combination. On a flop shot the ball could jump up, hit you in the nose, then back up down your torso and end up right back where it started.

I saw the 64* X Vintage with MD Grooves in Golf Galaxy the other day on sale for $80 and I thought about pulling the trigger on it. I don't think I would seriously consider taking one of the clubs out of my bag right now in favor of a 64* but it would be fun to mess around with on the range and the short game practice area.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I saw the 64* X Vintage with MD Grooves in Golf Galaxy the other day on sale for $80 and I thought about pulling the trigger on it. I don't think I would seriously consider taking one of the clubs out of my bag right now in favor of a 64* but it would be fun to mess around with on the range and the short game practice area.

I've been wanting to bag a 64* for a while now and just haven't pulled the trigger. I'm in the same situation, I don't know what I'd pull out. In truth, I could probably live without my 3W, but I do like to have it there when I want to go for a par 5 in 2.

So Adam Barr is no longer with the Golf Channel, eh? Not a big fan so TGC just got taken up a notch in my book.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

So Adam Barr is no longer with the Golf Channel, eh? Not a big fan so TGC just got taken up a notch in my book.

+1. TGC seems like they've cleaned house lately. Got rid of Inga Hammond (IIRC) which is a huge plus.

Now that I've said that I'm going to have to read 10 posts saying "They've got to fire Kelly next" which will make me sad. I love Kelly, she's a Duke girl.

I've been wanting to bag a 64* for a while now and just haven't pulled the trigger. I'm in the same situation, I don't know what I'd pull out. In truth, I could probably live without my 3W, but I do like to have it there when I want to go for a par 5 in 2.

I'd probably take out my 5 wood or 4 iron. I love my 3 wood too much to remove it.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

+1. TGC seems like they've cleaned house lately. Got rid of Inga Hammond (IIRC) which is a huge plus.

Now that I've said that I'm going to have to read 10 posts saying "They've got to fire Kelly next" which will make me sad. I love Kelly, she's a Duke girl.

Inga Hammond was eye candy - nothing more.

I actually think Kelly is highly under-rated and one of the best on-air personalities there. One of the networks would snatch her up in a minute if TGC cut her loose.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I'd probably take out my 5 wood or 4 iron. I love my 3 wood too much to remove it.

And me, I'd die without my 4I. I hit it about as much as any long club in the bag. And once I get the A7 in the 3hybrid spot, I think that's going to be a favorite as well.

They are a softer tip. In all honesty, i have been told on more than one occasion that you can take an 8 iron Rifle shaft and get basically the same result as the spinner. I have never frequencied the two to compare or anything, but thats what I have read on more than one occasion.

The softer tip, which should kick the head through theoretically to create more spin. Thats my take. I never liked spinners, as like a few here, i hit them too high and lost distance with them. Instead of an 80 yard lob wedge it ended up being 68 or so and right in a bunker. DOH!! Perhaps the new ones are different, i dont know. YMMV

People Sleep Peacibly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

They are a softer tip. In all honesty, i have been told on more than one occasion that you can take an 8 iron Rifle shaft and get basically the same result as the spinner. I have never frequencied the two to compare or anything, but thats what I have read on more than one occasion.

The softer tip, which should kick the head through theoretically to create more spin. Thats my take. I never liked spinners, as like a few here, i hit them too high and lost distance with them. Instead of an 80 yard lob wedge it ended up being 68 or so and right in a bunker. DOH!! Perhaps the new ones are different, i dont know. YMMV

I always just assumed that these were heavier in the tip section to promote more speed at impact and release. That's how they felt in my hands anyway. I didn't know they were softer tipped.

Inga Hammond was eye candy - nothing more.

I actually think Kelly is highly under-rated and one of the best on-air personalities there. One of the networks would snatch her up in a minute if TGC cut her loose.

Here's the problem: Inga Hammond wasn't good looking! Erin Andrews is eye candy, not Inga Hammond.

You have regained all the credit lost (re: saying I was from Barrington) by showing appreciation for Kelly. Now her golf forum fan club numbers 2.

What is it about the shaft that helps to create more spin?

In my experience, the shaft was much heavier towards the tip which promoted more of a release of the clubhead. Someone else also mentioned a softer tip, which might be true, but I don't know.

Here's the problem: Inga Hammond wasn't good looking! Erin Andrews is eye candy, not Inga Hammond.

You have regained all the credit lost (re: saying I was from Barrington) by showing appreciation for Kelly. Now her golf forum fan club numbers 2.

Finally some rationality on the Inga Hammond situation, she really wasn't all that good looking. Now, Lauren Thompson is something else.....

Archived