TESTERS WANTED! ×

Hardest Club to Hit

whiskey golf

I started the topic about gaming super lob wedges and a lot of you said that they are a difficult club to use. So this question is somewhat related. In your opinion, what is the hardest club to hit or become proficient with? This is based off of your experience and opinion and not generalizing what it would be for others.

For me, I think a 3 wood or any fairway wood for that matter is really hard to hit. I can't hit it off the deck or off the tee yet I can hit a 2 iron just fine, go figure.

The putter

Mostly due to the much much lower margin of error. You can be 1 or 2 degree's left/right with most clubs and end up just fine. Same thing with a putter will miss.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I used to think it was the 3W. Then I got the Cobra Baffler T-Rail and I find it easier to hit than my 19* Adams a12 hybrid.

Go figure. But the 3W is still harder to hit than my 4 iron.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I struggle with long irons and putter mostly.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I struggle to ht my 3W with any consistency. I have no trouble getting the ball in the air but direction is a myth.

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

I started the topic about gaming super lob wedges and a lot of you said that they are a difficult club to use. So this question is somewhat related. In your opinion, what is the hardest club to hit or become proficient with?

The lower the loft the harder it is to hit up to about 58 degrees. However, the hardest club for me to be proficient at is the putter which has the lowest loft of all. There is no club that has the smaller margin of error, as hckymeyer points out, but there is no club that is affected by course and weather conditions as the putter either. Not only that, you can hit a putt really well, and cost yourself another stroke. I have topped 3FM and bladed 64* wedges and they still found the green but I can not remember ever seeing a short putt go in the hole.

Actually, I did miss a putt the other day on really fast greens and it went behind the hole and rolled back and fell in from the other side.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Interesting discussion -- can hit a 3W fine off the tee and - if my expectations are reasonable - well enough off the deck. I don't expect to be super accurate with it -- just get it in the right zip code and I'm happy.

Forgetting 60-64 degree wedges, which I don't carry - I have the most trouble with my 9 and PW, and it's a round by round thing...some days can hit 'em great, others they pose a very real danger to other golfers. The problem rests purely between the ears...

Also had a love-hate relationship with my 3 & 4 hybrids last year -- no rhyme nor reason to it....

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Glad to see I'm not the only one without a 3 wood in the bag ;)

While it's true the putter is the most unforgiving, I think most people hit one well enough they'll keep it in the bag - lol For me, the 3 wood was more a dangerous temptation than an effective tool.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I'm gonna toss out another for the 3wood

I picked up a Cobra Baffler Trail 3 wood last year and it made things easier, but I still found myself topping the ball more than any other club.

When I took the 3 wood out of my bag I started scoring better.

I hate to admit my driver cause I actually have rounds of brilliance with the thing, but I believe if I took the driver out of play on more holes I could cut more strokes.

So, I guess the question could come back to - what club if I removed it from my bag would help to lower my score the quickest.

Got to say its my Driver and wood. Can't get a day to day grip on them, My irons and wedges are butter but when you can't get out of the tee box then that 4 iron has a long way to go to try to par a hole..

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

For me it's any long iron plain and simple. I've only recently reintroduced the 5 iron to my bag and that only because I won those Mizuno's last year - I still don't have the Fli-hi in even though I can hit it on the range - I just prefer my hybrids.

I totally appreciated the putter comment though - it's true that there is far less margin of error with that club. Relatively speaking I hit it well though.

By the way I hear the USGA is considering banning left hand low. B) Oh and they aren't crazy about me looking at the hole when I putt either.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Low lofted hybrids. To me....16-19Ëš Hybrids are harder to hit straight than a fairway metal.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Dude, have ya thought about a FM in that loft range or a little higher profile hybrid? Adams has some nice hybrids outside of their pro line and the a12 that are much more forgiving than the lower profile hybrids.

A 15-18* hybrid for many is just as difficult to hit as a 2-3i. I mean, a nice 4FM will give ya more metal(confidence) and I don't think that your accuracy will suffer that much. I mean, how tight are any of us gonna lay any club from 205-220 yds.

Ya want it fairly straight & with some trajectory.

Just a thought :)

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

Yep...that's exactly what I'm doing this year. Driver - 4 wood - 20Ëš Hybrid

I'm not messing with the lower Hybrids.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

I took out my 19 degree hybird and put my 5 wood back in because I kept slicing the hybird.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

The one in my hand is the one that gives me the most trouble.:lol:

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

For me personally, the longer the club, the more I struggle.

The driver I am working hard on, and can hit it very nicely at the range, but on-course the results are different. I have a 4W that I haven't hit in months, not even at the range, because it is just no fun to see the ball go all over the place. And I don't feel the 4W will add too much value to my game right now, even if I could hit it lights out, I would most likely only hit it 3 times a round.

As for the long irons, I have a solution for now in the Rocketbladez 4i, but before that club, I didn't really go near a 3i. 4i I would occasionally hit.

Sure the putter might cost one some strokes, but I am not scared of hitting my putter. But it is definitely the club that can affect your psyche the most!

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

For me it's the driver and 3wd. I'm still working on the driver but I can't, for some reason, hit the 3wd off the deck with any consistency.

I might replace it with a Cayman Power Play 3wd that's as easy to hit as a 5wd and see how I go.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Until the Rocketbladez I would have said long irons, but these things are stupid easy to hit. The 3 and 4 irons of my old set look brand new, from lack of use. I had more confidence in trying to play a high cut with a 18* hybrid, than hitting a 3 or 4. I must be in a small group with the 3W; I love mine. The only struggle I've ever had with the 3W is knowing when NOT to play it; I usually get stupid and try to reach a green from 250 in the rough and hack it out 130yds.

I started the topic about gaming super lob wedges and a lot of you said that they are a difficult club to use. So this question is somewhat related. In your opinion, what is the hardest club to hit or become proficient with? This is based off of your experience and opinion and not generalizing what it would be for others.

For me, I think a 3 wood or any fairway wood for that matter is really hard to hit. I can't hit it off the deck or off the tee yet I can hit a 2 iron just fine, go figure.

Generally speaking, the hardest club to hit is the one I have to use to make the next shot! (that is probably just me though!)

Today, I will do what others will not so that...

Tomorrow, I will do what others can not

The only struggle I've ever had with the 3W is knowing when NOT to play it; I usually get stupid and try to reach a green from 250 in the rough and hack it out 130yds.

That's not hacking....it's just laying up ;)

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

Ya know, as I'm lookin at this and thinking bout it, it's like why the hell do I have the Spoon in my bag?

My friend has a Tour Spoon with a Diamana 80 gram shaft in it, really cool looking club but that thing scares the crap out of me. I have no idea how you could get it off the ground.

Archived