kygolfer1980

2013 Drivers

Alright guys, I struggled with the R11S I won in the contest so I decided to part ways with it. I'm going to buy a new driver next month when everything is available. I am open to any of them but the 913D2 and Amp Cell have caught my attention. I loved my 910D2 but sold it like an idiot. I am even open to the R1 if it feels different to me than the R11 and R11S did. What have u guys already hit this year and what do you recommend?

Hey KY,

I haven't demo'd other clubs. But I got a Krank Rage recently and have never been driving the ball better. Trouble is, you can't walk into a store to try one. When I ordered mine, Lance Reeder who is the president talked to me at length to give me his best recommendation for loft and shaft selection. I am very pleased so far. It's worth checking into before deciding.

I would back up the comments on the KRANK Rage and I have an Element on order. Their service has been a bit slack lately but that does not detract from the quality of their drivers,

AJ

Alright guys, I struggled with the R11S

I liked the R11....it's a solid club....so when I tried the R11S I expected great things. Turns out I DID NOT like the R11S....not one bit.

I recently bought the 913D3 driver and it DID replace my 910.....I like it. If I didn't like it better I wouldn't have kept it.

Haven't tried any of the others though....maybe there is better ;)

All of the MGS guys at the PGA show had good things to say about the Nike Covert. I would give that a look before you decide on one.

On sound and feel, the Nike Covert is a hands down winner for 2013. We didn't have launch monitors at every booth at demo day, so we don't have any performance notes to share (other than, "It looked like it went far"), but it was the only driver we all agreed on.

On sound and feel, the Nike Covert is a hands down winner for 2013. We didn't have launch monitors at every booth at demo day, so we don't have any performance notes to share (other than, "It looked like it went far"), but it was the only driver we all agreed on.

Were u able to hit the tour model?

I agree with the Nike Covert. I've tried it with the stock Kuro Kage and the fujikura fuel shaft and both felt great. I didn't have any launch monitor data so i dont really know if its better than my Vr_S is though

I've tried the Covert Tour and Performance, both felt very good. The best of the year for me so far is the Callaway Razr Xtreme.

I haven't tried the Adams or Cobra stuff yet, but if the "need a new driver" bug hits me, it'll probably be for the Xtreme with a Black Tie shaft.

I tried the R1 and hated it.

I tried the Callaway X Hot driver and liked it quite a bit. I tried it along with the Nike Covert (both versions), the Razr Extreme, and the new RBZ whatever. The callaway gave me the best distance and I also thought it felt the best. I still want to try the new Adams drivers but callaway has an edge right now for me.

I haven't tried any of the new drivers and while there are a lot of nice looking ones out there, I'm eager to try the new Cleveland adjustable driver because it has more options than the Classic, different finish, and it looks like it'd be solid.

Hit the R1 this week and I'm a fan - I couldn't hit an R11 or R11s to save my life, both felt like hitting rocks to me.

Most people seem to love the amp, I know our reviewers did - but for me, the Cobra Encore ZL was the winner and has been in my bag the longest - Paired to a Fuji Fuel shaft :-)

Meaning, this year I'm hoping for the new ZL

Not new this year, but the Ping Anser I'm getting is awesome. I did see the Amp Cell head on display at Golf Etc, so you could get fit for that.

WOWzers there is a lot of suggestions out there. I would say the most common is the Nike Covert, Titleist 913, Callaway Razr Extreme, and Ping Anser. I will probably stay with Titleist or go to Ping, I just can't take the crazy tops and logo's everywhere.

Any idea what the custom shaft options will be?

Nike classifies shafts into tiers...can't remember if it's 3 or 4, based on price. Obviously, premiums cost more, but that said, Nike can and will put nearly anything you can imagine into a custom ordered driver. There's almost nothing you can't order through Nike.

Were u able to hit the tour model?

I think nearly all of us tried both models. It was at the end of the day (literally the last thing we did before leaving Orange County National was hit the Covert), so we were all spent. We're hearing that the Covert Tour is a legit Tour-type driver (not forgiving in the least).

If memory serves, most of the guys preferred the Performance model. I won't have an opinion until I can spend more time with them.

I really like the Razr Fit Xtreme. I have a Covert Tour with the 7M3 that is a really low spin combination. I also liked the X Hot Pro, Callaway stuff is impressive this season.

To answer the question at hand... kinda...

My short list for 2013 probably isn't as short as some would like. There are a literal handful (one for each finger anyway) that I really like.

In alphabetical order (as not to be accused of anything...)

Callaway RAZR Xtreme - Probably did Callaway a disservice by not hitting along side others at the show, but it's definitely a driver I like quite a bit

Cobra AMP Cell Pro - Love the color options. Feels like a forged iron on center contact. It's probably the one on this list that is most likely to get overlooked, and that wouldn't just be a shame, it would be a mistake.

Nike VR_S Covert - Independent adjustment of loft and face angle, great feel, the red is awesome

TaylorMade R1 - For my money, it's the best feeling driver TaylorMade has released since the started painting everything white. Whether you believe they do anything or not, the tinkerer in me loves having weights and sole plates to tinker with.

The 'thumb' in all this is the Krank Element. We haven't hit it (or even seen it in-hand), but I'm fairly certain you won't find a deeper faced driver anywhere. It's on top of my must-hit-as-soon-as-possible list.

For those looking for one more...I quite enjoyed the Titliest 913 as well. It's still true that nothing feels like a Titleist.

PGA SHOW SPY's:

With the added length to 46" (or close to it) with the modern driver, are companies able to offer custom builds for those that prefer 44.5-45" lengths, and still maintain a reasonable swingweight?

Obviously, the removable weight heads, this will be possible, but what about the others? Any talk about heavier adjustable sleeves, etc., to compensate for custom orders at shorter playing lengths?