Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

2013 Drivers

kygolfer1980

Alright guys, I struggled with the R11S I won in the contest so I decided to part ways with it. I'm going to buy a new driver next month when everything is available. I am open to any of them but the 913D2 and Amp Cell have caught my attention. I loved my 910D2 but sold it like an idiot. I am even open to the R1 if it feels different to me than the R11 and R11S did. What have u guys already hit this year and what do you recommend?

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey KY,

I haven't demo'd other clubs. But I got a Krank Rage recently and have never been driving the ball better. Trouble is, you can't walk into a store to try one. When I ordered mine, Lance Reeder who is the president talked to me at length to give me his best recommendation for loft and shaft selection. I am very pleased so far. It's worth checking into before deciding.

I would back up the comments on the KRANK Rage and I have an Element on order. Their service has been a bit slack lately but that does not detract from the quality of their drivers,

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

Alright guys, I struggled with the R11S

I liked the R11....it's a solid club....so when I tried the R11S I expected great things. Turns out I DID NOT like the R11S....not one bit.

I recently bought the 913D3 driver and it DID replace my 910.....I like it. If I didn't like it better I wouldn't have kept it.

Haven't tried any of the others though....maybe there is better ;)

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

On sound and feel, the Nike Covert is a hands down winner for 2013. We didn't have launch monitors at every booth at demo day, so we don't have any performance notes to share (other than, "It looked like it went far"), but it was the only driver we all agreed on.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

On sound and feel, the Nike Covert is a hands down winner for 2013. We didn't have launch monitors at every booth at demo day, so we don't have any performance notes to share (other than, "It looked like it went far"), but it was the only driver we all agreed on.

Were u able to hit the tour model?

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I agree with the Nike Covert. I've tried it with the stock Kuro Kage and the fujikura fuel shaft and both felt great. I didn't have any launch monitor data so i dont really know if its better than my Vr_S is though

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Any idea what the custom shaft options will be?

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I've tried the Covert Tour and Performance, both felt very good. The best of the year for me so far is the Callaway Razr Xtreme.

I haven't tried the Adams or Cobra stuff yet, but if the "need a new driver" bug hits me, it'll probably be for the Xtreme with a Black Tie shaft.

I tried the R1 and hated it.

I tried the Callaway X Hot driver and liked it quite a bit. I tried it along with the Nike Covert (both versions), the Razr Extreme, and the new RBZ whatever. The callaway gave me the best distance and I also thought it felt the best. I still want to try the new Adams drivers but callaway has an edge right now for me.

WITB

Driver: Calloway Diablo Octane Tour, UST VTS Silver

Hybrids: 16* Taylormade RBZ Tour 16*, 21* TEE XCG-3

Irons: Adams CB1 4-PW, KBS C Taper Lite S

Wedges: Nike VR Pro Forged 52*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG3

Grips: Lamkin Crossline Midsize

Ball: Whatever I find, prefer Bridgestone

Hit the R1 this week and I'm a fan - I couldn't hit an R11 or R11s to save my life, both felt like hitting rocks to me.

Most people seem to love the amp, I know our reviewers did - but for me, the Cobra Encore ZL was the winner and has been in my bag the longest - Paired to a Fuji Fuel shaft :-)

Meaning, this year I'm hoping for the new ZL

WOWzers there is a lot of suggestions out there. I would say the most common is the Nike Covert, Titleist 913, Callaway Razr Extreme, and Ping Anser. I will probably stay with Titleist or go to Ping, I just can't take the crazy tops and logo's everywhere.

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

• SPY VIP

Any idea what the custom shaft options will be?

Nike classifies shafts into tiers...can't remember if it's 3 or 4, based on price. Obviously, premiums cost more, but that said, Nike can and will put nearly anything you can imagine into a custom ordered driver. There's almost nothing you can't order through Nike.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• SPY VIP

Were u able to hit the tour model?

I think nearly all of us tried both models. It was at the end of the day (literally the last thing we did before leaving Orange County National was hit the Covert), so we were all spent. We're hearing that the Covert Tour is a legit Tour-type driver (not forgiving in the least).

If memory serves, most of the guys preferred the Performance model. I won't have an opinion until I can spend more time with them.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

I really like the Razr Fit Xtreme. I have a Covert Tour with the 7M3 that is a really low spin combination. I also liked the X Hot Pro, Callaway stuff is impressive this season.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

• SPY VIP

To answer the question at hand... kinda...

My short list for 2013 probably isn't as short as some would like. There are a literal handful (one for each finger anyway) that I really like.

In alphabetical order (as not to be accused of anything...)

Callaway RAZR Xtreme - Probably did Callaway a disservice by not hitting along side others at the show, but it's definitely a driver I like quite a bit

Cobra AMP Cell Pro - Love the color options. Feels like a forged iron on center contact. It's probably the one on this list that is most likely to get overlooked, and that wouldn't just be a shame, it would be a mistake.

Nike VR_S Covert - Independent adjustment of loft and face angle, great feel, the red is awesome

TaylorMade R1 - For my money, it's the best feeling driver TaylorMade has released since the started painting everything white. Whether you believe they do anything or not, the tinkerer in me loves having weights and sole plates to tinker with.

The 'thumb' in all this is the Krank Element. We haven't hit it (or even seen it in-hand), but I'm fairly certain you won't find a deeper faced driver anywhere. It's on top of my must-hit-as-soon-as-possible list.

For those looking for one more...I quite enjoyed the Titliest 913 as well. It's still true that nothing feels like a Titleist.

PGA SHOW SPY's:

With the added length to 46" (or close to it) with the modern driver, are companies able to offer custom builds for those that prefer 44.5-45" lengths, and still maintain a reasonable swingweight?

Obviously, the removable weight heads, this will be possible, but what about the others? Any talk about heavier adjustable sleeves, etc., to compensate for custom orders at shorter playing lengths?

Posted Image

I'm stickin with the i20, TI RBZ Tour & 910 D3 with the same shaft set-ups. I also go my TI Superfast TP reshafted so it's probably gonna replace the D3 if it's performance on the course matches the driving range.

HaHa, does anyone use a driver for more than one season, or are the technological inovations that amazing that ya gotta switch yearly?

Or is it that keepin up with the Jones' thing?

Baaaaaaaaaaa.....Baaaaaaaaaaaa ;)

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

Starting season 3 with my D2. It has a new shaft so I'm telling myself it's a new driver. Finally have a couple of backup drivers (made one with components - testing continues, but I like it!), so unless Publishers Clearing House comes in, or $500 falls into my lap, this is it for the year...

But if that does happen - in no particular order will be the Covert, the new Callaways and the Amp Cell - it just looks so darn bitchin'!!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

HaHa, does anyone use a driver for more than one season, or are the technological inovations that amazing that ya gotta switch yearly?

Ebay makes selling last years model pretty easy....the true cost of upgrading is usually a hundred bucks or less.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Nike classifies shafts into tiers...can't remember if it's 3 or 4, based on price. Obviously, premiums cost more, but that said, Nike can and will put nearly anything you can imagine into a custom ordered driver. There's almost nothing you can't order through Nike.

I wonder if most golf shops will have a fitting station for Nike like TMaG does so u can hit the diff combo's? I have played Nike irons but never gave much attention to their woods. I intrigued with the Covert though.

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I'm stickin with the i20, TI RBZ Tour & 910 D3 with the same shaft set-ups. I also go my TI Superfast TP reshafted so it's probably gonna replace the D3 if it's performance on the course matches the driving range.

Fairways & Greens 4ever

I'm starting season 2 with my reliable Cleveland DST Launcher, although that might change with all the new releases. Just when I thought that my bag was set, all the new drivers with different options, colors, etc. come out and now I'll feel left out if I don't get something. That's not gonna be good for me either since I'm pretty much broke because of the recent iron purchase.

• SPY VIP

PGA SHOW SPY's:

With the added length to 46" (or close to it) with the modern driver, are companies able to offer custom builds for those that prefer 44.5-45" lengths, and still maintain a reasonable swingweight?

Obviously, the removable weight heads, this will be possible, but what about the others? Any talk about heavier adjustable sleeves, etc., to compensate for custom orders at shorter playing lengths?

Most, but not all, of the latest crop of drivers have some sort of factory installed weight port which will usually be fit at the factory to hit the desired swing weight. For those that don't, you can probably hit the target weight with some sort of counter weighting in the grip.

If you're cutting down and factory adjustment isn't an option, there's always lead tape.

I wonder if most golf shops will have a fitting station for Nike like TMaG does so u can hit the diff combo's? I have played Nike irons but never gave much attention to their woods. I intrigued with the Covert though.

I got the stock shafts and three exotic shafts in my fitting package. Fujikura Fuel, UST VTS, and Matrix 7M3.

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Hey I've had my R11s longer than Matt at least! I actually like mine although I'm not a fan of the sound. Interestingly of the gadzillion drivers I've had the past 6 years - lets see G2, 3 Raptures, Mizuno 700 something or other, Adams F11 and 9064 I actually hit the Mizuno the best and it sounded even worse than the R11s.

Good luck Matt - sorry you've had to give on your driver - when you went for your fitting did you try anything other than the R11s?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Hey I've had my R11s longer than Matt at least! I actually like mine although I'm not a fan of the sound. Interestingly of the gadzillion drivers I've had the past 6 years - lets see G2, 3 Raptures, Mizuno 700 something or other, Adams F11 and 9064 I actually hit the Mizuno the best and it sounded even worse than the R11s.

Good luck Matt - sorry you've had to give on your driver - when you went for your fitting did you try anything other than the R11s?

My fitter was not a big fan of the RBZ driver. He didn't even have me hit it. Said it was no longer and lacked the adjustability. I have a feeling I'll either leave with the Covert or the 913 D2. Find out in a a couple weeks or so I guess. I think Feb 8 is release date for the Covert.

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Something just occurred to me. Haven't seen anything in this forum, or from any other source, come to think of it, of anything from Cleveland. Were they at the show? Are they doing anything driver-wise?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

They are releasing a new Classic and an adjustable version as well. Some pretty good shaft upgrades are available for the adjustable version (most have an upcharge). New line of irons also.

Archived