Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2013 Drivers

kygolfer1980

Should anything be inferred from their lack of presence at the show?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SPY VIP

Cleveland had a booth at demo day, and like Wilson and Mizuno, a conference room at the convention center.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Trade shows are funny. I'm heading to one right now and you always wonder about booth space and what it says about a company's health and direction. In the end, it probably doesn't mean much. There's the big dogs, then there's everyone else...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I actually dreamed about the damn Nike driver last night. Can't wait to demo it now.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I actually dreamed about the damn Nike driver last night. Can't wait to demo it now.

Hope the dream doesn't turn into a nightmare.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I think that I asked this a ways back, though I never did anything with it and I forgot what was recommended, however, which is better to sell a club through, the Bay or Craig List?

No commission on Craigslist, but then you have to deal with the customer. Ebay will run you 15% of the final value when it's all said and done, but it's just throwing it in a box and printing the label.

In a nutshell....more money from Craigsist, less hassle on eBay.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Not trying to be argumentative, but eBay is anything BUT hassle free. Stupid questions, non-payment, b****ing about shipping and tracking numbers, and numb nuts who can't operate tape measures are just some of the fun things I've encountered in the last two weeks.

Craigslist can be a pain, but cash and carry can't be beat.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Final listing fees have pretty much ended my selling relationship with ebay. I would love to see the classifieds here beefed up. I check them daily but it just doesn't get much traffic. I think the potential is there but not sure how to get more people using it.

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Matt, I'm going to be stopping by Golf Etc sometime this week, I'll ask Mike about the Covert and see if it's going to be a custom fit option there, I'll also ask him about the 913.

Appreciate it!

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I'm a beta member from last year with golfredefined.com. Won't be for everyone but if you want to demo all of these drivers to find out which one suits your game then have a look.

WOWzers there is a lot of suggestions out there. I would say the most common is the Nike Covert, Titleist 913, Callaway Razr Extreme, and Ping Anser. I will probably stay with Titleist or go to Ping, I just can't take the crazy tops and logo's everywhere.

Appreciate it!

No problem, I know you could call, but I was going to talk to Mike, so I thought I'd save you the trouble. On that note, I just spoke to him. They will be getting the Covert Tour and it will be a custom fit option; he said it would probably be a couple week before they got it in. I forgot to ask about the 913 though.

Cool, need to save a little more money before I pull the trigger anyway.

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I spent a couple hours at a golf shop today and I have to say, some of the new releases are pretty disappointing in my opinion. I tried the Callaway Razr Fit Extreme, Cobra AMP Cell, Nike Covert/Tour, and Titleist 913. The Callaway was very nice looking but felt a little too firm but then again I wasn't warmed up yet so I have to try it again. The Cobra didn't feel that great and the colors were cool but seemed a little too bright for me. The Nike Covert was interesting. The Performance version didn't feel good and sounded pretty bad. The Tour version felt a lot better and sounded a lot better so that was my favorite so far in terms of feel. The Titleist 913 looks the best but the feel is not bad but not the greatest.

How did u feel about the covert tour on mis hits? I like the way it looks better with the black sole but T said it wasn't supposed to be very forgiving.

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I think I am going Sunday to get a Driver unless I talk myself out of it. I think I have it narrowed down to the Covert(Prob hit tour and performance), the 913 D2, and the R1 TP. Can't decide if I wanna drop the cash right now or not. I'm sure I'll leave with one if I demo them.

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I tried them all within the last few weeks. Came down to two: Cobra and Cleveland.

Cobra Amp:

Very solid feel, and very straight - but 10 yards shorter than R11/913

Cleveland Classic 270:

Very solid feel, low spin, low trajectory, lots of roll. Added 20 yards. It's in the bag.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

I tried them all within the last few weeks. Came down to two: Cobra and Cleveland.

Cobra Amp:

Very solid feel, and very straight - but 10 yards shorter than R11/913

Cleveland Classic 270:

Very solid feel, low spin, low trajectory, lots of roll. Added 20 yards. It's in the bag.

Did you try the "older" Cleveland Classic with the retro look or the "new" one with the black finish?

I hit the old style - 310, 290, and 270. The 270 is the lightest and has a 39g shaft. Super light means fast swing speeds. My SS went up 5mph with it. But it is well balanced, so it still feels right. Haven't had a chance to hit the new black one. No need though. I'm hammering this one!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Hit drivers today. I hit the Covert with the stock Kage shaft, Covert Tour with Matrix Black Tie, 913D2 with the blue board, phenom, and pro force V2. Also hit the Cobra Amp Cell with the Fuel, and lastly the R1 with the Phenom 55g and TP 65g. Winner is.............

image.jpg

And it wasn't even close! I also took my SuperDeep with the Black Ops Pearl. I was consistently hitting everything other than the R1(including my SuperDeep) 285-295 yards. I drop kicked 1 with the R1 and it went 302. Averaged 312-315 with the TP shaft. 9 degrees, 2 degrees open club face is what prived optimal. I'm not sure what the carryover is from the launch monitor to the course would be but I don't think I realistically hit it that far. My club head speed was 107-114 today which is usually closer to 108. The numbers didn't lie though, I'm glad I took my current driver to compare. In fact, the R11S TMaG fit me for I was averaging 290 with on their launch monitor. So, TMaG must have changed something on the R1 to suit my game. Felt much hotter off the face than the previous models. Closer to the RBZ 3 wood I have. 913D2 @ 9.5 with the Pro Force V2 S flex finished 2nd with the Covert Tour 9.5 with Matrix Black Tie in S flex about the same. Just need winter to be over with so I can enjoy it now!

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Hit drivers today. I hit the Covert with the stock Kage shaft, Covert Tour with Matrix Black Tie, 913D2 with the blue board, phenom, and pro force V2. Also hit the Cobra Amp Cell with the Fuel, and lastly the R1 with the Phenom 55g and TP 65g. Winner is.............

image.jpg

And it wasn't even close! I also took my SuperDeep with the Black Ops Pearl. I was consistently hitting everything other than the R1(including my SuperDeep) 285-295 yards. I drop kicked 1 with the R1 and it went 302. Averaged 312-315 with the TP shaft. 9 degrees, 2 degrees open club face is what prived optimal. I'm not sure what the carryover is from the launch monitor to the course would be but I don't think I realistically hit it that far. My club head speed was 107-114 today which is usually closer to 108. The numbers didn't lie though, I'm glad I took my current driver to compare. In fact, the R11S TMaG fit me for I was averaging 290 with on their launch monitor. So, TMaG must have changed something on the R1 to suit my game. Felt much hotter off the face than the previous models. Closer to the RBZ 3 wood I have. 913D2 @ 9.5 with the Pro Force V2 S flex finished 2nd with the Covert Tour 9.5 with Matrix Black Tie in S flex about the same. Just need winter to be over with so I can enjoy it now!

Congrats on the new stick! I had the exact opposite experience between the R1 and R11s, but I guess that's the fun part of new clubs, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't, so there's always the desire to find the one that's just slightly better!

I was going in pretty much set on getting the Covert Tour. I'm happy, hope to see the carryover on the course.

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Went the TP for the extra 10g of weight. The stock is 55g and TP 65g. My swing speed was a tad quicker with the 55g but I wasn't hitting it as straight on the monitor and yardage difference was minimal. May have been coincidence but the guy that fit me felt like I would benefit from the extra 10g. He doesn't get commission so I felt like he was being honest and I couldn't argue with the results. That being said, it could be different if I went back tomorrow. Crazy thing about this game!

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Yep -

The heavier shaft probably brings your spin rate down a bit which gives you additional roll. Weird that you got that big of a kick out of this year's verses last but one never knows.

Good luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Yeah, I don't know why I hit it better. It feels like it is a hotter face than both the R11 and R11S. Other than increased adjustability options and the graphics on the crown, I'm not sure if they made any changes. A guy working in the golf shop said he did not like the R11 series but was playing the R1 as well. I kinda like the crown, its drawn some criticism but I think it's pretty cool.

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Archived