64 replies to this topic

#16 GolfSpy T

GolfSpy T

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• Administrators
  • 2,764 posts
  • LocationUpstate, NY

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

Any idea what the custom shaft options will be?

Nike classifies shafts into tiers...can't remember if it's 3 or 4, based on price. Obviously, premiums cost more, but that said, Nike can and will put nearly anything you can imagine into a custom ordered driver. There's almost nothing you can't order through Nike.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

#17 GolfSpy T

GolfSpy T

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• Administrators
  • 2,764 posts
  • LocationUpstate, NY

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

Were u able to hit the tour model?

I think nearly all of us tried both models. It was at the end of the day (literally the last thing we did before leaving Orange County National was hit the Covert), so we were all spent. We're hearing that the Covert Tour is a legit Tour-type driver (not forgiving in the least).

If memory serves, most of the guys preferred the Performance model. I won't have an opinion until I can spend more time with them.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

#18 lmh3

lmh3

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

I really like the Razr Fit Xtreme. I have a Covert Tour with the 7M3 that is a really low spin combination. I also liked the X Hot Pro, Callaway stuff is impressive this season.
Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond 9° Project X Handcrafted LZ 60 S
Callaway Big Bertha 815 3 & 5 Wood Project X Handcrafted LZ 70 S
Callaway Apex UT 21° & 24° Nippon Modus 3 130 S
Callaway Apex MB 5-PW Nippon Modus 3 130 S
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind Grind 54° & 60° Nippon Modus 3 130 S
Odyssey ProType iX #9
Callaway Chrome Soft

#19 GolfSpy T

GolfSpy T

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• Administrators
  • 2,764 posts
  • LocationUpstate, NY

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

To answer the question at hand... kinda...

My short list for 2013 probably isn't as short as some would like. There are a literal handful (one for each finger anyway) that I really like.

In alphabetical order (as not to be accused of anything...)

Callaway RAZR Xtreme - Probably did Callaway a disservice by not hitting along side others at the show, but it's definitely a driver I like quite a bit

Cobra AMP Cell Pro - Love the color options. Feels like a forged iron on center contact. It's probably the one on this list that is most likely to get overlooked, and that wouldn't just be a shame, it would be a mistake.

Nike VR_S Covert - Independent adjustment of loft and face angle, great feel, the red is awesome

TaylorMade R1 - For my money, it's the best feeling driver TaylorMade has released since the started painting everything white. Whether you believe they do anything or not, the tinkerer in me loves having weights and sole plates to tinker with.

The 'thumb' in all this is the Krank Element. We haven't hit it (or even seen it in-hand), but I'm fairly certain you won't find a deeper faced driver anywhere. It's on top of my must-hit-as-soon-as-possible list.

For those looking for one more...I quite enjoyed the Titliest 913 as well. It's still true that nothing feels like a Titleist.

#20 SPY ZINGER

SPY ZINGER

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)
  • 2,028 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN
  • Handicap:12

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

PGA SHOW SPY's:

With the added length to 46" (or close to it) with the modern driver, are companies able to offer custom builds for those that prefer 44.5-45" lengths, and still maintain a reasonable swingweight?

Obviously, the removable weight heads, this will be possible, but what about the others? Any talk about heavier adjustable sleeves, etc., to compensate for custom orders at shorter playing lengths?
Posted Image

#21 GolfSpy Barbajo

GolfSpy Barbajo

AGENT NAME: FAIRHAVEN

• Administrators
  • 6,585 posts
  • LocationExeter, New Hampshire
  • Handicap:5.8

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

I'm stickin with the i20, TI RBZ Tour & 910 D3 with the same shaft set-ups. I also go my TI Superfast TP reshafted so it's probably gonna replace the D3 if it's performance on the course matches the driving range.

HaHa, does anyone use a driver for more than one season, or are the technological inovations that amazing that ya gotta switch yearly?

Or is it that keepin up with the Jones' thing?

Baaaaaaaaaaa.....Baaaaaaaaaaaa ;)

Fairways & Greens 4ever
:mizuno-small:

Starting season 3 with my D2. It has a new shaft so I'm telling myself it's a new driver. Finally have a couple of backup drivers (made one with components - testing continues, but I like it!), so unless Publishers Clearing House comes in, or $500 falls into my lap, this is it for the year...

But if that does happen - in no particular order will be the Covert, the new Callaways and the Amp Cell - it just looks so darn bitchin'!!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :cleveland-small:  Launcher HB, 9.5*, Project X HZRDUS Yellow, stiff;  :cobra-small:  King LTD, 9.5*, Matrix 6Q3 Red Tie, stiff

Mini Driver:   :callaway-small: Big Bertha Mini 1.5, 11*, Kuro Kage 60G, stiff

FW Wood:  :ping-small: G Stretch 3, 13*, PING Alta Shaft, stiff;  :cleveland-small:Launcher HB, 15*, Miyazaki C Kua, stiff

Hybrids:  :benhogan-small: VKTR 17 & 21*, KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype, stiff;  :cleveland-small: Launcher HB, 19*, Miyazaki C Kua, stiff

Irons:  :cleveland-small:  CBX 4-PW, Nippon NS Pro Modus3 120, stiff;  :srixon-small:Z765 4-PW, KBS C-Taper shafts, stiff

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX, 48-54-60*, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 120, stiff;  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*, DG Wedge flex;  :ping-small: Glide 2.0, 52-56-60* KBS 610 Wedge shafts, stiff

Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :cleveland-small: TFSi 8.0

Follow @golfspybarbajo

#22 BK in TEXAS

BK in TEXAS

AGENT NAME: PLANO

• Members

• 2,193 posts
  • LocationGalveston
  • Handicap:9.7

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

HaHa, does anyone use a driver for more than one season, or are the technological inovations that amazing that ya gotta switch yearly?

Ebay makes selling last years model pretty easy....the true cost of upgrading is usually a hundred bucks or less.

In my bag, May 2018
:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 10.5˚ Paderson Shaft (Regular Flex)
:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 14˚ Fujikura Fuel Shaft (Regular Flex)
Adams Super 9031 18˚ Hybrid - Diamana D+ Shaft - (Regular Flex)
:mizuno-small:  850 Forged 4-PW; KBS C-Taper Shafts (Regular Flex)
:mizuno-small:  T4 Wedges 50˚,54˚,58˚ KBS C-Taper Shafts (Tiger Stepped)
 Evnroll ER2 Putter

:titelist-small:  ProV1 Balls
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
Clicgear 3.5 Push Cart

HDCP 9.6

#23 kygolfer1980

kygolfer1980

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,106 posts
  • LocationKentucky
  • Handicap:11

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:19 AM

Nike classifies shafts into tiers...can't remember if it's 3 or 4, based on price. Obviously, premiums cost more, but that said, Nike can and will put nearly anything you can imagine into a custom ordered driver. There's almost nothing you can't order through Nike.

I wonder if most golf shops will have a fitting station for Nike like TMaG does so u can hit the diff combo's? I have played Nike irons but never gave much attention to their woods. I intrigued with the Covert though.
Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex
3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex
Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex
Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's
Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner
Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;
Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT
Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or
MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

#24 whiskey golf

whiskey golf

AGENT NAME: PLANO

• Members
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:20 AM

I'm stickin with the i20, TI RBZ Tour & 910 D3 with the same shaft set-ups. I also go my TI Superfast TP reshafted so it's probably gonna replace the D3 if it's performance on the course matches the driving range.

Fairways & Greens 4ever

I'm starting season 2 with my reliable Cleveland DST Launcher, although that might change with all the new releases. Just when I thought that my bag was set, all the new drivers with different options, colors, etc. come out and now I'll feel left out if I don't get something. That's not gonna be good for me either since I'm pretty much broke because of the recent iron purchase.

#25 GolfSpy T

GolfSpy T

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• Administrators
  • 2,764 posts
  • LocationUpstate, NY

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:24 AM

PGA SHOW SPY's:

With the added length to 46" (or close to it) with the modern driver, are companies able to offer custom builds for those that prefer 44.5-45" lengths, and still maintain a reasonable swingweight?

Obviously, the removable weight heads, this will be possible, but what about the others? Any talk about heavier adjustable sleeves, etc., to compensate for custom orders at shorter playing lengths?

Most, but not all, of the latest crop of drivers have some sort of factory installed weight port which will usually be fit at the factory to hit the desired swing weight. For those that don't, you can probably hit the target weight with some sort of counter weighting in the grip.

If you're cutting down and factory adjustment isn't an option, there's always lead tape.

#26 lmh3

lmh3

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:34 AM

I wonder if most golf shops will have a fitting station for Nike like TMaG does so u can hit the diff combo's? I have played Nike irons but never gave much attention to their woods. I intrigued with the Covert though.

I got the stock shafts and three exotic shafts in my fitting package. Fujikura Fuel, UST VTS, and Matrix 7M3.
Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond 9° Project X Handcrafted LZ 60 S
Odyssey ProType iX #9
Callaway Chrome Soft

#27 revkev

revkev

AGENT NAME: CARLSBAD

• Members

• 10,776 posts
  • LocationSt Petersburg FL
  • Handicap:6.0

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:38 AM

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Hey I've had my R11s longer than Matt at least! I actually like mine although I'm not a fan of the sound. Interestingly of the gadzillion drivers I've had the past 6 years - lets see G2, 3 Raptures, Mizuno 700 something or other, Adams F11 and 9064 I actually hit the Mizuno the best and it sounded even worse than the R11s.

Good luck Matt - sorry you've had to give on your driver - when you went for your fitting did you try anything other than the R11s?

Ping G30

SLDR 3HL (Up one)

SLDR S  22,26

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx   all number 8's with revkev logo

#28 kygolfer1980

kygolfer1980

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,106 posts
  • LocationKentucky
  • Handicap:11

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:02 AM

Hey I've had my R11s longer than Matt at least! I actually like mine although I'm not a fan of the sound. Interestingly of the gadzillion drivers I've had the past 6 years - lets see G2, 3 Raptures, Mizuno 700 something or other, Adams F11 and 9064 I actually hit the Mizuno the best and it sounded even worse than the R11s.

Good luck Matt - sorry you've had to give on your driver - when you went for your fitting did you try anything other than the R11s?

My fitter was not a big fan of the RBZ driver. He didn't even have me hit it. Said it was no longer and lacked the adjustability. I have a feeling I'll either leave with the Covert or the 913 D2. Find out in a a couple weeks or so I guess. I think Feb 8 is release date for the Covert.
Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex
3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex
Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex
Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's
Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner
Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;
Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT
Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or
MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

#29 GolfSpy Barbajo

GolfSpy Barbajo

AGENT NAME: FAIRHAVEN

• Administrators
  • 6,585 posts
  • LocationExeter, New Hampshire
  • Handicap:5.8

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:23 AM

Something just occurred to me. Haven't seen anything in this forum, or from any other source, come to think of it, of anything from Cleveland. Were they at the show? Are they doing anything driver-wise?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :cleveland-small:  Launcher HB, 9.5*, Project X HZRDUS Yellow, stiff;  :cobra-small:  King LTD, 9.5*, Matrix 6Q3 Red Tie, stiff

Mini Driver:   :callaway-small: Big Bertha Mini 1.5, 11*, Kuro Kage 60G, stiff

FW Wood:  :ping-small: G Stretch 3, 13*, PING Alta Shaft, stiff;  :cleveland-small:Launcher HB, 15*, Miyazaki C Kua, stiff

Hybrids:  :benhogan-small: VKTR 17 & 21*, KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype, stiff;  :cleveland-small: Launcher HB, 19*, Miyazaki C Kua, stiff

Irons:  :cleveland-small:  CBX 4-PW, Nippon NS Pro Modus3 120, stiff;  :srixon-small:Z765 4-PW, KBS C-Taper shafts, stiff

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX, 48-54-60*, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 120, stiff;  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*, DG Wedge flex;  :ping-small: Glide 2.0, 52-56-60* KBS 610 Wedge shafts, stiff

Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :cleveland-small: TFSi 8.0

Follow @golfspybarbajo

#30 lmh3

lmh3

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:28 AM

They are releasing a new Classic and an adjustable version as well. Some pretty good shaft upgrades are available for the adjustable version (most have an upcharge). New line of irons also.
Odyssey ProType iX #9
Callaway Chrome Soft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      15 Aug
    Markelly82

Getting prepped for my annual friends golf outing in Muncie, IN. I haven't played in about 3 weeks so a little nervous. Headed to the range this evening.

• Photo
      14 Aug
    Waazzupppp

Really looking forward to hitting Gearhart Golf Links near Seaside, OR again in a few weeks. Had so much fun the first time there 2 years ago and can't wait to test myself from the Stones again!

View All Updates

Our Sponsors