Testers Wanted! Shot Scope V5 ×

Wilson Staff FG Tour Traction Control wedges

The Dansome

• SPY VIP

Wilson just posted this on Facebook: Traction Control wedges

Two unique sole designs. Traction control face technology. Tour frosted finish. 86 unique loft/bounce/sole configurations through custom fitting.

Wilson Staff officially welcomes the latest creation in performance and versatility: the brand new FG Tour TC Wedges. Available February 1.

wilsontraction control.jpg

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

• SPY VIP

These are likely different, but Have you used W/S wedges before Dan? Thoughts? A good start to see mainstream availability of a significant number of custom options

Haven't hit WS wedges before, but it looks like MGS will have more info for us. I did just order some Nike Dual Soles though :P

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Wilson sent me four wedges :) Looks excellent, will try them later this week.

The grip is 1 inch (?) longer than standard grips.

I have both Traditional Sole and Tour Grind. TG is interesting. I like to have fun around the greens, the TG should fit me :)

I am 110% sure that the Micro Spin Lines are just decoration and meant to give the player more confidence. These shallow laser lines can't possibly do anything. Wilson says they are "spin enhancing on full swings". I'm not a full swing wedge-guy.

Had these in for a little while, more info coming soon on these.

I... cannot... wait...

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

Purdy. Real purdy...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I would be interested in the tour grind sole. I don't like one without that relief on the toe and especially the heel. I could do without the clutter on the back. They would look much better if they only had the W/S badge and left the rest out.

Very nice looking wedges.

Would have preferred them not to stick the Traction Control text on the back, would have looked even better.

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

I've had the previous model FG Tour wedges in my bag for the past couple seasons. I have the 52* and 58* with 8* bounce on each. I believe that to be too much bounce for the 52 causing the ball to fly a bit too high which results in a bit too short compared to my FG 62 PW. Around the green, though, for chipping and pitching, they are dandy.

I've had the previous model FG Tour wedges in my bag for the past couple seasons. I have the 52* and 58* with 8* bounce on each. I believe that to be too much bounce for the 52 causing the ball to fly a bit too high which results in a bit too short compared to my FG 62 PW. Around the green, though, for chipping and pitching, they are dandy.

I've also played the FG Tour wedges the last couple seasons (52, 56 and 60). Love the 60 but found what you said about the 52 degree to be true (didn't realize it was the bounce making it harder to control) The previous generation TW9 was actually easier to dial in and gapped well with my FG Tour PW. I will definitely try the new ones and get fit. Appreciate your input.

• 1 month later...

The longer grip is probably the same TM used on the ATV wedges, I guess for more versatility on less than full shots.

You are correct about the grip. I finally got a look at the new traction control wedges at the local PGA superstore this weekend. Very nicely finished club. Larger head than I expected though.

Had hoped to swing them at the Golf Show but Wilson only showed up on Friday and Saturday and was a no show on Sunday. Will have to go to PGA Superstore on a weeknight to hit them, all the hitting bays are packed on weekends. The 56 degree tour grind will likely find its way into my bag. Looks like an effective sand wedge and usable on all but the tightest fairways.

You are correct about the grip. I finally got a look at the new traction control wedges at the local PGA superstore this weekend. Very nicely finished club. Larger head than I expected though.

Had hoped to swing them at the Golf Show but Wilson only showed up on Friday and Saturday and was a no show on Sunday. Will have to go to PGA Superstore on a weeknight to hit them, all the hitting bays are packed on weekends. The 56 degree tour grind will likely find its way into my bag. Looks like an effective sand wedge and usable on all but the tightest fairways.

They are AWESOME! I have a 50* standard sole arriving this wednesday and the 56* and 60* tour grinds came last week. I haven't been able to hit full shots, but the little half shots in the house have been really smooth feeling. Way smother than the scratch 8620s I am replacing. Wait till you see the grooves... They're something else.

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

They are AWESOME! I have a 50* standard sole arriving this wednesday and the 56* and 60* tour grinds came last week. I haven't been able to hit full shots, but the little half shots in the house have been really smooth feeling. Way smother than the scratch 8620s I am replacing. Wait till you see the grooves... They're something else.

Anxious to hear your impressions when you get to swing them outdoors. Not likely to be soon since you're right at the same path of this 6-10" of snow falling tonight and tomorrow...Who knew winter was merely delayed.

Anxious to hear your impressions when you get to swing them outdoors. Not likely to be soon since you're right at the same path of this 6-10" of snow falling tonight and tomorrow...Who knew winter was merely delayed.

Ugh, me too... I've spent too much money on equipment this winter. I need to actually start playing so as to give me something better to do with all that junk.

At least my lame Subaru is a blast in the snow.

well, I still haven't hit them outside, though I am totally convinced that the new grooves are going to induce some pretty wild spin... Even when I use the face of the club to grab a ball and slide it into position it grabs the face and doesn't roll immediately. I wish I had a good way to demonstrate what I mean, but I will tell you all this much; my MP T-11 wedge does not do that.

However, I do envision the groves getting dirty easily, so now I need to find a good groove cleaning brush.

well, I still haven't hit them outside, though I am totally convinced that the new grooves are going to induce some pretty wild spin... Even when I use the face of the club to grab a ball and slide it into position it grabs the face and doesn't roll immediately. I wish I had a good way to demonstrate what I mean, but I will tell you all this much; my MP T-11 wedge does not do that.

However, I do envision the groves getting dirty easily, so now I need to find a good groove cleaning brush.

Paul, did you receive your 56 and 60 degree tour grinds yet? The 56 is most likely to find my bag first because of it's apparent strength as a sand wedge and what should be good performance out of roughs and normal fairways. Tight lies are probably better off with the standard 50...Just melt this white stuff and let's get to work!

Paul, did you receive your 56 and 60 degree tour grinds yet? The 56 is most likely to find my bag first because of it's apparent strength as a sand wedge and what should be good performance out of roughs and normal fairways. Tight lies are probably better off with the standard 50...Just melt this white stuff and let's get to work!

Yep, I got all three in now! Standard 50* and Tour Grind 56* and 60*

The faces are like fine sandpaper, it's incredible. I know that I have a W/S bias, though I'm serious. You'll see! You absolutely CANNOT beat the price of these too... @ pgasuperstore.com they're half off at $99. With the aggressive grind on the 56* I think that I actually have the flexibility to sometimes bench the 60* if I want to add another club in the top end of the bag to fiddle with.

IMG_0753_zps47226a34.jpg

IMG_0754_zps655399eb.jpg

50* Standard Grind

IMG_0770_zpsfea3193b.jpg

56* Tour Grind

IMG_0771_zpsfd676aa0.jpg

60* Tour Grind

IMG_0772_zpscb88a8c6.jpg

IMG_0768_zpse116bf0f.jpg

Those remind of my Vokeys. The satin finish and the grinds look very similar to me

Pretty similar. The Wilsons look just slightly more aggressive in the tour grinds on the edges. Same shape grind though. Some people were apprehensive about the stampings, but after maybe two seconds it just starts to look like most Cleveland and Vokey wedges. I'm really curious to see how the spin rates come out when MGS gets around to testing them.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty similar. The Wilsons look just slightly more aggressive in the tour grinds on the edges. Same shape grind though. Some people were apprehensive about the stampings, but after maybe two seconds it just starts to look like most Cleveland and Vokey wedges. I'm really curious to see how the spin rates come out when MGS gets around to testing them.

Picked up the 56 degree tour grind yesterday...Still undecided on whether to go with the 50 degree or go with a Vokey or Cleveland 588 RTX, which I think I may prefer off fairways...Still anxious to hear your impressions once you get them on solid ground..but love the feel of the Wilson 56 and I think it will be a good sand performer as well as from the rough. Like the longer than standard grip also.

Picked up the 56 degree tour grind yesterday...Still undecided on whether to go with the 50 degree or go with a Vokey or Cleveland 588 RTX, which I think I may prefer off fairways...Still anxious to hear your impressions once you get them on solid ground..but love the feel of the Wilson 56 and I think it will be a good sand performer as well as from the rough. Like the longer than standard grip also.

I've only hit it at the indoor range, but it feels excellent. I was most interested in seeing what kind of spin it got, but the indoor short game area grass is astro turf and too slippery.

Archived