Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Callaway Rangefinders

Gotta spend some AMEX points -- looking at Callaway Rangefinders. Saw the RAZR get a perfect score in the MGS review, and the IQ also scored well. Anyone have experience with both or either? Would like to get some perspective -- in terms of points they're close enough (RAZR is about 6,000 fewer), and I'm leaning that way based on the review. Doesn't seem to be a wrong choice here - just wondering if anyone has any experiences to share...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I don't have any experience with the RAZR, but I had the LR550 (which was their last two models and it was really nice. That Pin Seeker technology is pretty amazing, it picked up the pin every time, even with trees in the background. The only complaint I had about that one was the battery indication; I never knew when it was going to fail based on the indicator, it would be half full and die. I just started carrying an extra battery to combat that.

I have the Diablo Octane version. It, the LR550 and the Razr are all the same thing. Damn good unit IMO. Handles rain, fog and blazing sun equally well.

I use to be a straight GPS guy, but I won't give this thing up as long as it keeps functioning.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Thanks for the input -- right now leading toward the RAZR -- no one has an IQ?

Wait, that didn't come out right....

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• SPY VIP

Thanks for the input -- right now leading toward the RAZR -- no one has an IQ?

Wait, that didn't come out right....

The iQ is still my go to laser b'c I like the slope feature. I think that the RAZR may be a more comfortable unit though. Plus, I think that the iQ may be updating this year. Not sure though.

You won't be upset with the "cheaper" RAZR

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

The iQ is still my go to laser b'c I like the slope feature. I think that the RAZR may be a more comfortable unit though. Plus, I think that the iQ may be updating this year. Not sure though.

You won't be upset with the "cheaper" RAZR

That slope feature is what intrigued me about the IQ. Seems like it would be kinda helpful....but from the review there's no way to go wrong with the RAZR, or with any Callaway, for that matter. AMEX has some Bushnell's available, too, but they're in the 75,000 point range. Will need some leftover to get the Mrs. something pretty...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I've used all of them- one of my students has the one with the slope function and I was surprised at the difference in yardages! Five yards here or there can really make a difference. Sometimes there were ten yard differences that I would've never thought if. I contemplating getting one with the slope function as well,

I'd choose the Razr out of those. If you want slope though, the iQ does the trick.

Is Leupold an option or only Callaway? The GX-3i is the best there is IMO.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

I have the IQ. It's good. You have to manually add the horizontal distance to the height to get the slope though. If you want it done automatically this is not the one to get. It's not Calculus so it doesn't bother me.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

barbajo - Just going to piggy back on your thread since I'm in a similar boat. Have a birthday towards the start of golf season and my wife is already asking for ideas. I'm down to the Callaway Razr and the Leupold GX-3i. The Razr beat out the 3i by the smallest of margins in the rangefinder shootout, but everyone keeps recommending the 3i. They are withing $40-$50 of each other, so not a huge price difference. However the Razr is the less expensive model.

So which to get/ask for? Razr vs. 3i?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

AMEX isn't offering the Leupold, unfortunately. It's Callaways and Bushnells only. Here's another one - the Callaway idTECH. Looks a little too complicated for my tastes, though. Right now leaning toward the RAZR...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Here's another one - the Callaway idTECH. Looks a little too complicated for my tastes, though.

It's not complicated. I'd go for the slope option, personally.

Through the viewfinder it shows you the actual distance to the pin. That's all you need on level shots. If you want the slope, you look at the side LCD and add 2 numbers together (ie 150 horizontal + 14 vertical = plays as 164).

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

AMEX isn't offering the Leupold, unfortunately. It's Callaways and Bushnells only. Here's another one - the Callaway idTECH. Looks a little too complicated for my tastes, though. Right now leaning toward the RAZR...

This is the one I have. Using the numbers in the picture; Through the viewfinder would show 71 yards line of sight. The side LCD shows 70.6 horizontal and 5.8 yards up, play it like it's about 77 yards.

Screen Shot 2013-02-02 at 9.40.54 PM.png

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

That's kind of a neat feature. And it looks simple. After my experience with the Moto, I like simple...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived