TESTERS WANTED! ×

MyGolfSpy's 2013 ULTIMATE Driver Test

Tony Covey MGS

• SPY VIP

UDT6.png

MyGolfSpy's 2013 Ultimate Driver Test (Coming Soon)

Attention Fellow Golf Spys: This is happening!

Although we've been hinting at...and discussing in another thread, consider this the semi-Official Announcement that MyGolfSpy will be putting the hottest drivers of 2013 to the test, and head to head (providing a given manufacturer is willing to send them).

We're not spilling all the beans yet, but what I can say is that this will be the most intensive, and extensive test we've conducted to date. I will eventually provide more information on both the testing procedures and scoring.

Here's an excerpt from the invitation I sent to each OEM (slightly modified based on the current product offerings):

On behalf of MyGolfSpy I would like to extend and invitation for Company Name to participate in our 2013 Driver Test. We fully expect that this test will be the most comprehensive, data-driven club test conducted by anyone this season.

Our test panel consists of 6 golfers of differing ability levels. Launch monitor testing will take place over several days with each tester hitting each driver on multiple occasions.

Each participating manufacturer is invited to send 1 model of your choosing from the current product lineup. Pro/Tour heads from the same series will be considered to be of the same model.

To participate in our test we ask that you provide drivers with the following specifications:

7.5°-8.5° (8.5° preferred) X-Flex - Pro/Tour Head where applicable

9.0°-9.5° (9.5° preferred) S-Flex - Pro/Tour Head where applicable

9.0°-9.5° (9.5° preferred) S-Flex - Standard Head (disregard if no pro/tour option exists)

10°-10.5° (10.5° preferred) R-Flex

11°+ (12° preferred) R-Flex

Drivers should be of standard length and configured with "stock shafts" (any configuration available for off-the-rack retail purchase is acceptable).

Where multiple stock shaft options are available, we'll be happy to make recommendations based on our previous experience with our testers.

The invitation has been sent to 17 different manufacturers (the last few went out only moments ago). At this point we're not disclosing any more than we already have about who has been asked to participate. I'm sure you can make an educated guess here or there.

Although invitations were sent less than 24 hours ago, we've already received responses from 7 manufacturers, and each of those has agreed to participate.

As GolfSpy Matt and I are fond of saying, there's BS and then there is product in hand. Until it's the latter, it's the former. Point is...not everyone always sends what they say they will. To that end, as I did with the Ultimate Fairway Wood test, I will reveal the participants as the product arrives for testing.

Stay Tuned...and as always, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't wait!

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

good luck to everyone who ia chosen...get those swings in shape!!!!!

Twitter @angrygolfhulk

Instagram angrygolfhulkDriver-Callaway Razr Fit 9.5* Stiff3 Wood-Taylormade R9 15* StiffHybrids 3,4,5 Rocketballz RegIrons 6-Gap Rocketballz RegSW-Cobra Trusty Rusty 55*LW-Taylormade Rac Black 60*Putter-Odyssey Sabertooth 33"Back up irons-Taylormade Rac Muscleback Forged 5-GW Rifle Shafts 6.0

Equipment journalists have it easy, the launch monitors tell the story. It's hard work looking good enough to wear products you test. But that aside, I can't wait to see this one!!

An endeavor like this takes a considerable amount of work and coordination. I look forward to the results and thanks for putting this together.

Posted Image

An endeavor like this takes a considerable amount of work and coordination. I look forward to the results and thanks for putting this together.

X2 Well said.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I predict the Covert Tour to be lower spinning than any driver that's tested (least that's my results from all of the ones I've hit thus far. That sucker goes low and spins even less).

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• SPY VIP

Heard back from another company today, bringing the total commitments to 8. A few of the bigger names and a few smaller ones as well still out in the wind. My guess is we won't get all 17, but I believe 12-14 is where we'll shake out. My guess is that despite all the talk about "driver x" being as good or better than anything else on the market, there are some, when asked to step up and give us the opportunity to prove it, will likely pass.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

• SPY VIP

Commitment total holding at 8. Of the 9 that remain:

I'm 99.9% one of them is a go.

Guarded but optimistic on 3 others.

One we've never worked with before, so I have no idea.

One I'm...let's call it 95% certain won't participate, but I'm hopeful nonetheless

2 I'm 99.9% certain won't participate

and finally, one I'm feeling 80% good about.

Updates to follow...

• SPY VIP

And Now...the 1st Confirmed Entry in MyGolfSpy's 2013 ULTIMATE Driver Test...

No big surprise, and don't hold the reuse of pictures against me...

Nike VR_S Covert

Nike VR_S Covert-1.jpg

Nike VR_S Covert-5.jpg

Nike VR_S Covert-20.jpg

Nike VR_S Covert-25.jpg

Nike VR_S Covert-29.jpg

sweet

Twitter @angrygolfhulk

Instagram angrygolfhulkDriver-Callaway Razr Fit 9.5* Stiff3 Wood-Taylormade R9 15* StiffHybrids 3,4,5 Rocketballz RegIrons 6-Gap Rocketballz RegSW-Cobra Trusty Rusty 55*LW-Taylormade Rac Black 60*Putter-Odyssey Sabertooth 33"Back up irons-Taylormade Rac Muscleback Forged 5-GW Rifle Shafts 6.0

• SPY VIP

And Now...the 2nd Confirmed Entry in MyGolfSpy's 2013 ULTIMATE Driver Test..

Mizuno JPX-825 Driver

JPX825 Driver-0.jpg

JPX825 Driver-1.jpg

JPX825 Driver-2.jpg

JPX825 Driver-3.jpg

• SPY VIP

The latest count is 9 confirmed (pending arrival of clubs). There are 3 more that I would list as probable, but not 100%.

There is one company for which I would describe the status as: "discussion pending"

At this point I have ZERO explicit "Declined to Participate", however; as of this writing 4 companies have yet to reply to the invitation.

• SPY VIP

Did you ask Cleveland?

We're not commenting on who was and who was not asked until we have a full list of participants...and I suppose non-participants.

• SPY VIP

Im a little surprised mizuno sent the jpx driver instead on the mp after the mp did so well in the fairway test.

Newer model...latest thing. Also, I think MP is nearing end of life. I'd have to double-check my email to Mizuno, but I may have suggested the 825.

• SPY VIP

I have it on pretty good authority that another entrant will be announced tomorrow morning.

Is the Nike both models?

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

• SPY VIP

Is the Nike both models?

Good question. I think I touched on this in the previous "We Need Your Help Thread".

What we're dealing with is what I affectionately refer to as the Callaway Conundrum.

We put a ton of thought into how this test would be conducted, stock vs. custom, Tour/Pro vs. Standard/Performance, etc. At the time we were working off 2 assumptions:

1. Callaway would agree to participate

2. Their preference would be to send RAZR Fit Xtreme over X Hot

What everyone may not realize is that Callaway made a fairly interesting and somewhat unique design choice with XTREME. 8.5, 9.5, and 10.5 degree heads are 440cc while the higher lofted heads 11.5 and 13 (don't quote me on that last loft, I'd have to check) are 460cc. COG placement is different. The design is based on the notion that high loft players have fundamentally different needs than guys who play lower lofted drivers. Allowing for the fact that Callaway's R&D guys probably have done more research into this than I have, I'd argue the 10.5 point, but we're splitting hairs. Basically I personally think it's a very wise design decision that not only makes sense, but also simplifies things from the consumer end of things.

Anyway, what we're left with is essentially 1 head (XTREME) that's really 2 different heads; a Pro/Tour model and standard model.

To level the playing field what we did was specifically ask those OEMs that make Tour/Pro models to provide those models in 8.5 and 9.5 degree models, and standard models in 10.5 and above. The one ripple is that we do have one 9.5 tester who generally is a better fit in the standard head, so where available as stock we asked for both versions of the 9.5.

We did something similar with shafts where if there was a more 'tour-like' shaft option (again STOCK) we suggested that be included for the lower lofted clubs.

As always, nothing is perfect but the goal is to test the club from a given series that our testers would most likely buy off the rack. Since same-named Tour/Pro models are always a consideration, we decided to include them and NOT treat them as wholly separate models.

Since same-named Tour/Pro models are always a consideration, we decided to include them and NOT treat them as wholly separate models.

That makes sense. Thanks.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

• SPY VIP

Joining the field as the 3rd confirmed participant...

Callaway RAZR FIT XTREME

Callaway-RAZR-FIT-XTREME-0.jpg

Callaway-RAZR-FIT-XTREME-1.jpg

Callaway-RAZR-FIT-XTREME-3.jpg

Callaway-RAZR-FIT-XTREME-4.jpg

Archived