Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

MyGolfSpy's 2013 ULTIMATE Driver Test

Tony Covey MGS

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SPY VIP

In the interest of being ready to publish the results as soon as humanly possible we've already kicked off the initial bit of testing. I'm taking a fairly exhaustive look at the data...some we probably won't end up using, but it's better to start with the tools in place right out of the gate.

So anyway...if this goes how I plan, our testers as a group will hit close to 5000 golf balls to complete the test. The portion of the Excel sheets that will be doing the heavy lifting took me almost 2 days to build.

I'll still have to build more tables when all is said and done to manage group averages...and the individual shot tables are going to be huge. I wanted to show you a teaser of sorts of what the calculations table for a single tester looks like. I've blurred a little bit of it out...but you can probably figure out what some of it is. Again...there will be one of these for each individual, the various bits we ultimately decide are important for the presentation will need to be combined to show group averages.

testing.png

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• SPY VIP

We've got another confirmed entry.

Talking about Calling Your Shots...or something like that. ManBearPig makes a bold prediction about what's right around the corner...and then you turn the corner...and bam! There's this.

Wilson Staff D-100

WilsonStaffD100-0.jpg

WilsonStaffD100-1.jpg

WilsonStaffD100-2.jpg

WilsonStaffD100-3.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

• SPY VIP

We've got another confirmed entry.

Talking about Calling Your Shots...or something like that. ManBearPig makes a bold prediction about what's right around the corner...and then you turn the corner...and bam! There's this.

Wilson Staff D-100

WilsonStaffD100-0.jpg

Does that mean I WIN it when yer done testing?

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

• SPY VIP

If what UPS is telling me is true, we should have at least 1 announcement tomorrow...perhaps 2...

• SPY VIP

The first of what should prove to be 2 announcements (3 if UPS really surprises me) today. This is another one from outside the mainstream, but it's one I know plenty of you will be curious to see how it holds up against the big boys. Once again...we're serious about being more inclusive with this test.

Geek Golf No Brainer

GeekNoBrainer-00.jpg

GeekNoBrainer-1.jpg

GeekNoBrainer-2.jpg

GeekNoBrainer-3.jpg

Mercy! Be very interested in seeing what that thing can do!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Why not comment on what OEM's were asked to participate? Think that if you're able to generate some buzz (good or bad) companies would be more eager to put the figurative 'money where your mouth is' so to speak.

Excited for the Testing, would just love to see as many Drivers as possible

• SPY VIP

The short answer is that everything is tentative until product has arrived. Basically that means there's still a chance someone might change their mind and either agree to participate last minute or may drop out last minute.

Once everything is 100% we're going to be totally upfront about who declined.

We're also going to list those companies in the top of the test results. What we don't want is a repeat of the fairway wood test where we had a lot of "why didn't you test..." In the comments. To that end, those who declined will be prominently listed.

• SPY VIP

Small shipping mishap (DOH!) no 2nd announcement today...definitely one tomorrow.

TMaG better send an R1, I'm anxious to see if it performs as well for everyone else as it did for me. They said they were not "scurrred", I saw the video. I would also like to see Krank Golf participate. They put out an interesting product...

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

TMaG better send an R1, I'm anxious to see if it performs as well for everyone else as it did for me. They said they were not "scurrred", I saw the video. I would also like to see Krank Golf participate. They put out an interesting product...

I'm just hoping they aren't the ones with the "shipping mishap" after what's been happening lately.

• SPY VIP

Trying desperately to make up for yesterday when I promised two announcements and only delivered one...so today I'm 99% postive I'll be making two announcements. The first one is happening in 10 minutes or less.

• SPY VIP

As promised, the first of 2 announcements today. I think many of you will be happy to see this one included in our test.

Titleist 913 D2 & D3

Titleist913-0.jpg

Titleist913-1.jpg

Titleist913-2.jpg

Titleist913-4.jpg

• SPY VIP

Not going to be made a liar out of two days in a row. So as promised, here's the 2nd confirmed entry today (10th overall). FYI...We're not done yet.

PING G25

PING-G25-0.jpg

PING-G25-1.jpg

PING-G25-2.jpg

PING-G25-3.jpg

Ping woods get better looking every year!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• SPY VIP

Ping woods get better looking every year!

No argument here. After the release of the G20 (i20, Anser, and now G25), PING has gone from producing arguably the ugliest clubs from a major OEM to again, arguably, the most consistently good looking.

I hadda chance to hit the PB AFO AF(2nd Generation) Tour, and it really puts it out there. I probably(definitely, HaHa) didn't have the right shaft, though the driver definitely more than held it's own distance wise.

The regular AFO had a nice review on MGS.

I'm really curious how this one fares in the contest.

Can't wait!!

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

I'm no longer able to hear or read the words "Can't Wait" without it sounding like it's coming from Bart Scott. Good stuff!!

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Love the PING. But I think I am most interested (so far) in seeing how the Covert and the AFO perform.

In Play

Driver: Cleveland Classic XL Custom 9.5*, Woods: Cobra Baffler T-Rail 5W, 7W, Hybrids:Callaway FTiz 27* Irons: Maruman Shuttle 7-S, Wedge: Cleveland Niblick 49*, Callaway Jaws CC 60*, Putter: Ping Scottsdale Wolverine

Warming the bench

Cleveland Classic 12*, Ping Rapture V2 10.5*, Ping K15 5, 7, Ping Rapture V2 6-S, Bobby Jones H3-H6, Cleveland Classic BRZ

Archived