TESTERS WANTED! ×

MyGolfSpy's 2013 ULTIMATE Driver Test

Tony Covey MGS

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SPY VIP

Prefaced with: We're almost done...here's one more for the test. Or in this particular case, the re-test.

PING ANSER

PING ANSER-0.jpg

PING ANSER-1.jpg

PING ANSER-2.jpg

PING ANSER-3.jpg

Come back in 15 minutes or less...as far as today is concerned, we're not done yet.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• SPY VIP

Gentlemen...and the occasional lady, assuming there are no 23rd hour miracles, this is the last entry in the 2013 MyGolfSpy Ultimate Driver Test...or as we've taken to calling it recently #TheHottESTList.

Bringing the final total to 17, I give you...

Callaway XHOT / XHOT Pro

Callaway XHOT-1.jpg

Callaway XHOT-1-2.jpg

Callaway XHOT-2.jpg

Callaway XHOT-5.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

• SPY VIP

Ok boys...Mrs. ManBearPig, and Sara...that's all of 'em. Questions, comments?

• SPY VIP

So Krank never showed up after all? Geez.

Nobody wants to be in this test more than Krank (the X in the page 1 graphic is theirs). Unfortunately the delay in receiving their stock shaft shipment pushes us past the deadline.

Nobody wants to be in this test more than Krank (the X in the page 1 graphic is theirs). Unfortunately the delay in receiving their stock shaft shipment pushes us past the deadline.

Man that sucks. If I were them, I would send the Rage at least if the Element still wasn't ready.

Oh Boy! I can't wait!

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

That's one hell of a lineup -- all the usual suspects plus some surprises. Really looking to see how Powerbilt, Wishon, Geek and Wilson do against the "big boys." And for no apparent reason, my money's on the Cleveland. Maybe we need a wagering matrix like for the Super Bowl cool.gif

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

That's one hell of a lineup -- all the usual suspects plus some surprises. Really looking to see how Powerbilt, Wishon, Geek and Wilson do against the "big boys." And for no apparent reason, my money's on the Cleveland. Maybe we need a wagering matrix like for the Super Bowl cool.gif

Barb, I like the idea of a matrix, but I was thinking something different. They have a weeklong lead up to the final results release by having a 17 team bracket, and do one round a day until the winner in total score is revealed. After each driver goes out, their results are posted. They would have all the results and make up the brackets so the top 8 get to the 2nd round, the top 4 to the 3rd, then top 2, and a winner. Could be fun, and the 'losing' drivers would get more visibility because you'd only have a few reviews to read each day (for us with ADD who might skip carefully reading about the drivers not already interested by if all results up at the end).

• SPY VIP

Barb, I like the idea of a matrix, but I was thinking something different. They have a weeklong lead up to the final results release by having a 17 team bracket, and do one round a day until the winner in total score is revealed. After each driver goes out, their results are posted. They would have all the results and make up the brackets so the top 8 get to the 2nd round, the top 4 to the 3rd, then top 2, and a winner. Could be fun, and the 'losing' drivers would get more visibility because you'd only have a few reviews to read each day (for us with ADD who might skip carefully reading about the drivers not already interested by if all results up at the end).

The idea of a match play style tournament for clubs is something I've toyed with from time to time. While I'm not ruling it out down the road, we're not going to do it this time around.

As you suggest, it would give us an opportunity to say more about clubs that otherwise don't finish near the top, but the flipside is we have to keep finding new and interesting things to say about the clubs that keep making it through.

The idea of a match play style tournament for clubs is something I've toyed with from time to time. While I'm not ruling it out down the road, we're not going to do it this time around.

As you suggest, it would give us an opportunity to say more about clubs that otherwise don't finish near the top, but the flipside is we have to keep finding new and interesting things to say about the clubs that keep making it through.

You could always say nothing about the winners (that was my thought), but you could also describe one aspect per round. It wins round 1, you read about it's feel. Round 2 looks, round 3 performance. Final is scores. Or something similar. I personally think saying nothing about the winners would be the way to go.

Ok boys...Mrs. ManBearPig, and Sara...that's all of 'em. Questions, comments?

Looking forward to the results. I wonder if some OEM's get mad and don't play anymore if the results are not in their favor?

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

It could be like MGS's version of "March Madness!" laugh.gif

Also diggin' the "datacratic!"

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Hey T and all the testers were supposed to have been testing yesterday and the day before I think..........so WHERE ARE THE RESULTS.............LOL. This is going to take them a while so I guess we are all going to have to be patient. Checking back to see if there are any results in half an hour.......an hour.....two hours........three hours...........

All this anticipation is good...Cleaned all the clubs and grips today. Watching the WGC-Cadillac on TV. Emptied all the accumulated balls found in bushes, water etc last season out of the bag. Did a little living room putting (8.5 on the Stimpmeter) and studying my Stockton Unconscious Putting. Bring on spring and the Ultimate Driver Test!!

I have already cancelled the KRANK element (long story and not worth repeating) and should see my Covert arrive this week but I am very interested in the results from this test.

When are you expecting to have some results for us to peruse / ignore / argue / disbelieve and generally drool over???? biggrin.gif (no we won't draw any reference to KRANK in your response)......MUCHwink.gif

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

I measured a Callaway XHot 9.5 to day and the actual measured loft is 11.5. This is why I suggest all drivers be measured so it is a fair fight. Real lofts need to be known to account for trajectory differences and the subsequent rollout differences between clubs with the same "stamped" loft.

Irons: Mizuno MP225, Miura PI401.

3tbj6j.jpg

Can't wait to see all the data

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Here are my predictions:

For the long hitting testers:

Distance: 1st NIKE Covert; 2nd Callaway RAZR; 3rd Ping G25

Dispersion: 1st Nike Covert; 2nd Ping G25; Mizuno JPX825

For the distance challenged testers:

Distance: 1st TM RB2; 2nd Nike Covert; 3rd Callaway XHot

Dispersion: 1st NIKE Covert; 2nd Mizuno JPX825; 3rd TM R1

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

Ok I'll play.

For the long hitting testers:

Distance: 1st Powerbuilt AF; 2nd Adams LS; 3rd Nike Covert

Dispersion: 1st Nike Covert, 2nd Cleveland XL Custom; 3rd Ping Asner;

For the distance challenged testers:

Distance: 1st PING G25; 2nd Nike Covert; 3rd Adams Speedline SuperS

Dispersion: 1st NIKE Covert; 2nd Cobra Amp, 3rd TM R1

In Play

Driver: Cleveland Classic XL Custom 9.5*, Woods: Cobra Baffler T-Rail 5W, 7W, Hybrids:Callaway FTiz 27* Irons: Maruman Shuttle 7-S, Wedge: Cleveland Niblick 49*, Callaway Jaws CC 60*, Putter: Ping Scottsdale Wolverine

Warming the bench

Cleveland Classic 12*, Ping Rapture V2 10.5*, Ping K15 5, 7, Ping Rapture V2 6-S, Bobby Jones H3-H6, Cleveland Classic BRZ

After spending some serious time with the Classic XL the other day (along with the M3), I can't imagine anything but the Covert Tour would touch it for dispertion. It was crazy good.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Archived