whiskey golf

Favorite Putter Shape and Manufacturer

What is your favorite putter shape and what company do you believe does it the best?

Lately I've been liking the Laguna style shape. I'm using a Cleveland Classic #3 and I like the head shape and how there's no offset. But if I had the money, I would get a custom Byron Morgan Epic Day with a Rincon neck or a Sunset Beach Calabash with Santa Fe neck.

I also like the 8802 style and small-mid mallet type putters, especially the SC Red X3, that thing was an awesome putter.

I like the Odyssey #9 shape. Used that style for years from a variety of companies.

#9 style was my favorite for a long time. Towards the end of last year we had a falling out and now she is on the bench. I'm hopefully that someday I'll call her back up from the minors and she'll continue to have an illustrious career.

After that I'm a fan of the flow neck blade. Although I just picked up a Spider S Slant that seems to roll everything exactly where I want it.

Love the 8802 style and the #9, which I think Wilson and Odyssey do best. However I putt my best with a center shaft style.

I like to look down at a Anser style putter the best as far a brand the method 001.I may be the only one who likes the shap lines but I also own a scotty montery and rife Aussie.

Byron 612!

Start with the awesome lines of an Anser 2.

Heel side: Make the heel side steeper and the trailing corner line from neck to sole transition perfectly as the bumper comes into play... Compared to the 006 I like this portion MUCH better on the 612.

Toe side: the space between the topline and toe side shoulder is great.

Topline: thin and great to use as a perpendicular alignment. The toe side is slanted back to look shorter at address. The topline is also 2 degrees up going towards toe side.

Cavity: not deep at all. Makes for more material behind impact for a softer steel feel.

Bumpers: some pronounced height, but keep some thickness in the middle of the flange for 365 gram versions.

Shoulders: perfect angles relating to topline with softened transitions into bumpers- not a hard crisp step, but still a step.

Neck: perfect barrel length adds some heel side weight. Neck has trailing side beveling.

Specs are what you order, face milling options, stamps, head cover, grip etc.

Center shaft mid mallet. As for manufacturer, Id have to go with Mizuno. The Mizuno MP Craft S103 was the sweetest putter Ive ever owned. Very soft.

I like my Cleveland Classic 5.5 a lot but, well, compared to the MP Craft you can tell its a $70 putter instead of a $300 putter. Thats not to say that it isnt a very good putter, it is and at that price its a great value but it doesnt have the same level of quality and attention to details that the MP Craft had.

For the longest time, all I liked was an Anser 2 style putter. I found Byron's 006 to be my favorite. In the last couple years, I've branched out. My gamer is either a Bettinardi SS11 or a Byron Epic Day. I think Byron's interpretations of classic shapes are as good as anyone's.

I have always liked 8802 and George Low style putters. But there is a very, very fine line between a putter that looks good and one with that tiny something that just doesn't fit your eye. There are many putters that look great INSIDE, but look entirely different when you get them outside on the putting green or course. Finding a putter that sets up square easily is sometimes a challenge, but you never know for sure until you get it outside.

I would love to order a custom Byron Morgan, but I can never pull the trigger because I'm concerned that it won't look right to me when I get it on a putting green. The best putter for me currently is a Titleist SC Studio Design #2. It has a sight dot and a line on the flange running from heel to toe. I may try other designs, but I always come back to this one. I would be a better putter if I dumped everything else I own and used this putter exclusively. But I enjoy trying different putters too much to stick with just one.

• Like 1

Heel shafted mallet for me! I like the oversize ones, in particular the new Spider and Nome. Bettinardi Fatso was beautiful too, but I don't think those can be had anymore...

Center shafted mallet with a single sight line. I've used a Bettinardi big Ben for over 10 years. It may never leave my bag. Big ugly blocks of metal all day. You keep your anser and I'll take your money :lol: !

Center shafted mallet with a single sight line. I've used a Bettinardi big Ben for over 10 years. It may never leave my bag. Big ugly blocks of metal all day. You keep your anser and I'll take your money :lol: !

I used a Baby Ben for a couple of years. Like the looks of blade type putters -- 8802 and #9 types -- and iPing says I have a modest arc. Using a Coutour Gullane currently - like it a LOT - and it's kind of a baby-mallet. The fit was the thing, 31.5" and a 365 gram head.

coutour 1.jpg

coutour 2.jpg

I like a smallish lighter center shaft mallet. Been gaming an STX Envision model for many years. I've benched it a few times, but it doesn't sit long usually.

Love my Yes! Tracy, face balanced. It's been in the bag since I started playing and at this stage, it won't be replaced.