Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Wedge Opinions

asbahhur

I'm also inclined to believe we are deeper into the subject of what makes a better wedge than being OT. We are just dealing with specific details about wedges rather than enumerating brands and models.

Turning into an excellent thread!

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I need to get some new wedges this week but can't figure out which kind to get. Was considering being borig and picking up some sm4's, but I like the Cleveland's too. Any thoughts on which wedges are the best out there right now??

I am in the same boat as you. I got new irons last season and was left with too much of a loft gap between my AW and my SW. I won a vokey sm4 in a closest to the pin scramble. I tried it for several rounds and it just was not the best feeling club to me. I am very much a feel player. I have been going to Golf Galaxy and trying out wedges lately, I live in MI. so I can only hit simulators for now. I have tried several and I am leaning towards the Cleveland 588 RTX. My spin on 1/2 shots is better and I seem to hit them purer than I do the Vokey wedges. Definitely try before you buy, preferably in a driving range or short game setting. Hit ALL the shots, pitches, chips, bunker blasts and lob shots. Pay attention to your shot dispersion relative to your chosen target and choose the one that yields the best combination of accuracy and distance control.

I am in the same boat as you. I got new irons last season and was left with too much of a loft gap between my AW and my SW. I won a vokey sm4 in a closest to the pin scramble. I tried it for several rounds and it just was not the best feeling club to me. I am very much a feel player. I have been going to Golf Galaxy and trying out wedges lately, I live in MI. so I can only hit simulators for now. I have tried several and I am leaning towards the Cleveland 588 RTX. My spin on 1/2 shots is better and I seem to hit them purer than I do the Vokey wedges. Definitely try before you buy, preferably in a driving range or short game setting. Hit ALL the shots, pitches, chips, bunker blasts and lob shots. Pay attention to your shot dispersion relative to your chosen target and choose the one that yields the best combination of accuracy and distance control.

Hey all,

didn't have much time to read all the posts but I wanted to weigh in on the bounce subject. i recently added a 61 wedge to my bag this year. I like low bounce because I play some pretty dry courses in the summer. Anyways, its not summer and the ground is soggy so the first couple goes I had at the wedge didn't perform the way I wanted. I was trying to hit higher shots over bunkers and such but coming up just a bit short. I took it to the practice area to figure out the issue. since the club has low bounce it was digging a bit much and causing to grab a little turf between ball and face therefore lack of the distance control. I went up a club (vokey SM4 with a little more bounce) and opened the face. playing the bounce and a little explosion shot helped control distance perfect. I went from a 10-12 foot range now to 2-5 foot range on 10-20 yards shots over bunkers and such. now as the ground hardens I might have to adjust but that's golf.

when I bought the vokeys I asked for low bounce and was told they have the M grind (TV don't adjust bounce on these which pissed me off since they are in the Wedgeworks shop CUSTOM HELLO) which was proven to play from all lies and surfaces. I havent' had much trouble but I do get the occasional back edge bouncing too soon and a little much of the ball with some shots but I think this is more technique than anything since its not really common. Maybe once every 20-25 shots...BRAINFART!!!!! :unsure:

The 61 is deadly on the halfies and three quarter shots between 30-65 yards and was a great addition

• 2 months later...

Nice write-up on the JPX and great thought process. If more guys objectively looked at their game, clubs and how they best fit together like you do, they would probably shave some strokes.

But between the ego and just beein sheep, they make a decision based on faulty information & thought process.

Fairwways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

I use to think the modern wedges were better until I stumbled across a mint Hogan 5808 wedge. The APEX shaft and the head shape and softness are as good or better than alot of the modern wedges. I am testing out a 56* Colonial, a 53*, a 51* and a 6004 now as well.

I do think the TVD Vokeys are superior to the retail versions, and the best of all the wedges I have tested (Fourteen v4, Scratch SS forged, Mizuno, Callaway X Forged, Nike VR and several other premier wedges) is the Miura 1957. The turf interaction and versatility from this wedge is outstanding. Soft and solid at the same time. But you know, the Hogan is right there with them.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I recently purchase a 3 wedge set of Hopkin's Golf black stain wedges.  My pitching wedge is an Adams 44 Degree a12os so I purchase a 48-08 full sole, 52-08 shelf grind, and a 56-14 channel grind with the Hopkins OTM Steel wedge flex shafts and Hopkins Lamkin stock grip.  They came last week but I've had to wait five days to try out due to the wet cold weather we been having here in Virginia.  So this Monday 12/15 we get a break in the weather so I off to try them out.  A frost delay till 10:30 am before the temperature finally gets to 38 degrees in sun.  So I know the ground is going to hard. 

Short of the 1st green about 15 yards, I use the 52 dig the toe in and pull the club face open had to yell for my playing partner to get out of way as the ball flies by his chest and over the green.  Now I am wondering what I've done?  Second chip back on to the green about 12 yards away and roll to about 6 feet from hole.  Whew, better.  I as play the round I ended up in a lot of traps fall in love the 56 channel grind.  A few approach shots with good results with the 48 full sole.  But mixed results with the 52 shelf grind, until the second nine.  Then I begin to get the hang of this club.  I end up dropping 8 strokes between the front nine and the back nine.  Mostly due to my better than usual wedge play on the back nine.

This clubs have a great weight, the clubs feel heavier than my old Vokeys but I like the balance and weight. The black stain chrome looks great and held up well in the sand play.  The club head does feel harder than the Vokeys.  This was a surprise feel but by the end of the round I liked the feel as the feedback was not harsh and seem to be easier to identify where on the club face I hit the ball.  The sound at Impact was louder, however by the end of the round I had quit noticing the sound.   The head is slightly more compact than my Vokey 200's. 

From my initial results I think I am really going to enjoy this set.  Looking forward to improving my wedge play and lowering my scores.  Anyone who is in the market for wedges especially custom grinds would be well served to look at these Hopkins Wedges closely.  You can try them out for 30 days and return for full credit if you don't customize the back with your name or other optional designs.  Be sure to check out their Facebook page for promo codes.  I found one for buy two wedges get the third free. 

NIce write-up Bear!  Welcome to the forums and keep us up to date on your journey with the Hopkins!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived