asbahhur

Wedge Opinions

Our Sponsors

Hi guys,

I need to get some new wedges this week but can't figure out which kind to get. Was considering being borig and picking up some sm4's, but I like the Cleveland's too. Any thoughts on which wedges are the best out there right now??

Hi guys,

I need to get some new wedges this week but can't figure out which kind to get. Was considering being borig and picking up some sm4's, but I like the Cleveland's too. Any thoughts on which wedges are the best out there right now??

They're both good wedges so either one isn't a bad choice, personally I like Vokeys. They both offer multiple bounce options per loft which is a plus for fitting. Vokeys are cast but still offer a soft feel. Clevelands are forged so those will be soft for sure. I'm not sure if the new Clevelands are using the Tour Concept or if they went back to the Dynamic Golds. The Vokeys use Dynamic Golds. The thing about wedges is that they feel pretty similar for the most part in my opinion a lot of it depends on what feels better, looks better, and gives you more confidence. So the Cleveland could be great for some but then suck for others and this applies to the Vokey as well. Hit them both and see what you think will give you the best results.

After using Clevelands for years (588, CG12, CG15) I have grown very partial to my Nike VR Pro forged wedges. I think their playability is just as good as the clevelands and they feel fantastic. They also come with S400 shafts which give them a heavier feel that I like. FWIW, I have the non conforming grooves and they put quite a bit of spin on the ball, not sure about the newer versions though.

I'm sure its been mentioned before, but wedges are a fairly personal choice, although with today's quality in all the different brands out there, you probably can't go wrong. The Carnahans reviewed by others look pretty nice.

WITB

Driver: Calloway Diablo Octane Tour, UST VTS Silver

Hybrids: 16* Taylormade RBZ Tour 16*, 21* TEE XCG-3

Irons: Adams CB1 4-PW, KBS C Taper Lite S

Wedges: Nike VR Pro Forged 52*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG3

Grips: Lamkin Crossline Midsize

Ball: Whatever I find, prefer Bridgestone

I personally pick a wedge for GRIND and BOUNCE first then look at manufacturing process of forged / cast for firmness of the feel. I don't worry about the stock shaft as it always gets pulled anyways and replaced.

For me I picked Mizuno MP T-11 Wedges last season in the Black Nickle finish.

~ 60-05, 56-10, 52-07 bounces and lofts reflect what I normally do with each wedge, the finish looked great and the wedges are forged plus got great reviews for spin numbers compared to other C-C grooves, I liked the grind pattern on them so I was sold pretty simple pick for me anyways.

KZG VC-420 ML (10.5* Loft & 0.2* Open Face Angle) @ 44.50" (2" Bore Depth) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7 Stiff

Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 16.5* @ 42.50" w/ RT Technologies Zeus (85g) Stiff (Tipped 1/2")

Srixon Z U45 19.0* @ 39.75" w/ KBS Tour-V X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)

Cleveland 588 MB 3-P @ 38.75" - 35.25" (0.25" under), 60.5* - 64.0* (0.5* upright), 22* - 48* (1* weak) w/ KBS Tour-V X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin (Blade) 54-12 @ 35.25", 64.00* w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold s400

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin (Blade) 60-10 @ 35.25", 64.00* w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold s400

Lamkin UTX Wrap, Including Grip Core: 1/32 over (top hand), 1/16 over (bottom hand)

Srixon Z-Star

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Im a big fan of Mizuno wedges. Ive played Vokeys and Ive played Clevelands and IMO, Mizuno's wedges are just as good, if not better.

Theyre very soft, they have sole grinds that make it easy to hit any kind of shot and they spin like anything else out there.

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?:

Woods: Titleist 913FD 13.5* 3-wood

Hybrid: Titleist 915HD 3H 

Irons: Titleist DCI 822 OS 6, 8 and PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 56*

Putter: Titleist Bullseye Standard

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

I used to play vokey, but now I've got Scor and you can't pull those things outta my hands

Basically shape. The R12s are round® & the 11s are a teardrop. Most of the older player line wedges were rounder.

It's just a personal preference.

Hit em both and you decide

Fairways & Greens 4ever

I've hit Mizuno wedges and while I wanted to like them, for some reason I feel like I'm going to shank them. It's something about the look when I'm about to hit.

Then I would definitely avoid 'em.

What are ya playin now?

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

Vokeys, tried the Cleveland 588s before and those didn't work. Vokeys give me the best results

I personally love my Mizzy wedges. I have two but only carry one on a daily basis, but then again I only carry two wedges in addition to my pitching wedge. I carry a Mizzy T11 56 with a DG Spinner shaft and a Vokey 64. I will be replacing the Vokey with a Mizzy before long, however, I recommend no matter what you get, you carry more wedges and nothing more that 60*(58* for higher handicaps.

I play everyday so I get lots of practice. I carried several wedges 52, 56,60 and 64 (All Vokey) for a number of years. Early last year I replaced the 52 and 56 with Mizzies. However, I found that I used the 56 almost all the time, but eventually settled on the 56 and 64 only. I added more long clubs in my bag. But once again, I get lots of practice.

Realistically, a high handicapper is not going to hit the greens from 200+ yards so it is more important to have wedges rather than the club you think you can hit the green with from 220. I can assure you that I make many more birdies on par 5's by laying up to a certain distance (75-85 yards) than I do by hitting the green from 200+.

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

I liked the Nike wedges, interesting what they are doing with the sole widths this season. I also like the Callaway wedges that I am putting in the bag this season.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

If you like Cleveland wedges, you should look at Callaway. Callaway wedges are now designed by Roger Cleveland. The last time I purchased wedges I looked long and hard to find some that "looked just right" to me. I got the Callaway X-Forged and am very pleased with them.

I used to play vokey, but now I've got Scor and you can't pull those things outta my hands

+1 on the SCOR's I'm using them in 42Ëš 46Ëš 50Ëš 54Ëš and 58Ëš

Before the SCOR I used Diamond Tour CNC Spin wedges with no complaints at all......they are probably the single best value in wedges: http://www.diamondtour.com/golf-components/club-heads/wedges/inazone-chrome-mist-cnc-spin-wedge.html

In my bag, August 2019
:mizuno-small: JPX900 Driver Kuro Kage Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small: JPX900 Fairway  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  850 Forged 4-PW; KBS Tour (Stiff Flex)
 :callaway-small: PM Grind Wedges
:nike-small: Method Core

:titelist-small:  ProV1X Balls
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 3.5 Push Cart

HDCP 8.9

What is the difference between the two wedges Mizuno has out right now??

Like R.P. said, shape. The Rs are more round and the Ts are a tear drop shape. Its mostly personal preference.

I used to have a mix of R-12s and T-11s and found the R to be easier to hit a variety of shots with.

Right now I play their JPX line of wedges and theyre great too. If a person had a set of cast GI irons, Id honestly suggest the JPX over the MP wedges because the JPX feels much more like a GI iron because it has a hotter face and is more forgiving than the MP wedges, which have a duller, softer feel. I also really like the triple-cut sole on the JPX. It makes it easier to hit a variety of shots without chunking or blading the shot. I had some reservations about the JPX wedges at first because they are cast but they are really great wedges for the right person (someone who plays GI irons and wants wedges that match the feel of their irons).

I'm a 2 handicap so I think I would go for the T4 based on jut pictures online. I'm going to go test it side by side with the SM4 and the 588 RTG today.

Like R.P. said, shape. The Rs are more round and the Ts are a tear drop shape. Its mostly personal preference.

I used to have a mix of R-12s and T-11s and found the R to be easier to hit a variety of shots with.

Right now I play their JPX line of wedges and theyre great too. If a person had a set of cast GI irons, Id honestly suggest the JPX over the MP wedges because the JPX feels much more like a GI iron because it has a hotter face and is more forgiving than the MP wedges, which have a duller, softer feel. I also really like the triple-cut sole on the JPX. It makes it easier to hit a variety of shots without chunking or blading the shot. I had some reservations about the JPX wedges at first because they are cast but they are really great wedges for the right person (someone who plays GI irons and wants wedges that match the feel of their irons).

The leading edge, it's thickness and it's shape plays a reasonably important role in the short game for new guys as against very well experienced and practiced guys. Very slightly thicker and reasonably straight leading edges are helpful to the new guy who does not have a lot of practice time in pointing the chip and pitch. The thin and round leading edge definitely lends itself to more short game shot making but is also more demanding as to the accuracy of the swing, especially where the ground is tight but a bit too soft. In short, I think straight and very slightly thicker is more forgiving but can make some shots a little more difficult to pull off.

It's difficult to say which will work better for any specific person. You really need to look at what you have and identify the features that make life difficult for you so you can look for a design feature that might work better for you. It's personal and the decision is in your court.

Shambles

The leading edge, it's thickness and it's shape plays a reasonably important role in the short game for new guys as against very well experienced and practiced guys. Very slightly thicker and reasonably straight leading edges are helpful to the new guy who does not have a lot of practice time in pointing the chip and pitch. The thin and round leading edge definitely lends itself to more short game shot making but is also more demanding as to the accuracy of the swing, especially where the ground is tight but a bit too soft. In short, I think straight and very slightly thicker is more forgiving but can make some shots a little more difficult to pull off.

It's difficult to say which will work better for any specific person. You really need to look at what you have and identify the features that make life difficult for you so you can look for a design feature that might work better for you. It's personal and the decision is in your court.

Shambles

Funny you say that because the JPX wedges, which are designed to be a GI wedge, have a more rounded leading edge. Also, as a 20 capper, I find a rounded wedge to be much easier to hit a variety of shots with.

Please dont misunderstand me, Im not saying youre wrong Im just saying its interesting.

You can't go wrong with any modern wedge. As long as it's properly fit and suits your eye, that's what matters. Because wedges are one place where confidence plays a HUGE role.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Nice write-up on the JPX and great thought process. If more guys objectively looked at their game, clubs and how they best fit together like you do, they would probably shave some strokes.

But between the ego and just beein sheep, they make a decision based on faulty information & thought process.

Fairwways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

I think its difficult because the OEMs push the tour stuff and push whats used on tour but really for most people, tour stuff isnt whats right for them.

Im not so different. For a long time I tried to play MP woods, hybrids, irons and wedges before I got sick of playing so-so golf and went with JPX/MX clubs. Had my first range session today with the new sticks and it just proved to me that it was the right decision for me. Even a bad shot with the MX-1000s is a pretty good shot.

Funny you say that because the JPX wedges, which are designed to be a GI wedge, have a more rounded leading edge. Also, as a 20 capper, I find a rounded wedge to be much easier to hit a variety of shots with.

Please dont misunderstand me, Im not saying youre wrong Im just saying its interesting.

Please read my post again. I try to say much in as few words as possible but I'm pretty sure I specifically described, reasonably straight and very slightly thicker as elements that make a wedge a bit more forgiving. I also stated that the thin round leading edge definitely lends itself to more shot making. I'm not familiar with the JPX wedges but I presume their configuration in this aspect is somewhere in between.

I cannot claim to be right about this but I do believe the leading edge plays a more important part in wedge play than we give it credit for. If you don't have a lot of practice time some of those very pro wedge designs can have you chili dipping often. There is also the thing that new guys and not so experienced guys do not have all that many shots available to them so the added flexibility is not going to come into play or, if it does, the player won't know how to use it. It's good to have wedges that allow you plenty of flexible use but there are some trade offs in design so your decision needs a bit of a balance act.

Shambles