TESTERS WANTED! ×

TV Golf Coverage

Rickles

Is televising golf not a good deal financially for the major networks? I am now watching the golf coverage on CBS and I am having the sme issue I have had for the last three weeks. They are showing Men's NCAA basketball instead of the golf which has now started 20 minutes late. Why would they rather show the end of a Men's basketball game that was not even close or that people other than from that particular region over golf which has appeal all over the country. It doesn't make sense to me. Does anyone else know why they do this? Would more people rather watch the end of the basketball than golf?

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

November 17, 1968 NBC cut away from the ending of the Jets at the Raiders game. The allotted time was up and the Jets were winning 32-29 with less than 2 minutes to go so that they could broadcast the TV Movie of the week, Heidi. This became known as the Heidi Game. The Raiders scored two touchdowns and won 43-32 therefore no network will leave a game in progress. The viewers were very mad about this. On Sundays, they will not leave the golf tournament until play is finished for the day. Golf is a bit different on Thursday-Saturday because it does not matter who does what on those days, a winner is not declared until Sunday.

I am not sure if they have to do it contractually now or not but no network will cut away from a game now.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

November 17, 1968 NBC cut away from the ending of the Jets at the Raiders game. The allotted time was up and the Jets were winning 32-29 with less than 2 minutes to go so that they could broadcast the TV Movie of the week, Heidi. This became known as the Heidi Game. The Raiders scored two touchdowns and won 43-32 therefore no network will leave a game in progress. The viewers were very mad about this. On Sundays, they will not leave the golf tournament until play is finished for the day. Golf is a bit different on Thursday-Saturday because it does not matter who does what on those days, a winner is not declared until Sunday.

I am not sure if they have to do it contractually now or not but no network will cut away from a game now.

Exactly...the Heidi game :D :D

Could you imagine the social media blowup if they did that to a game nowadays :blink:

Here is a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJAn3cTMXW8

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

This is also the reason to TiVo it, or DVR or whatever. I have rarely watched live TV for the past 4 years. Sure, during the week if I am working, the golf channel is probably on but it is really just background noise. My wife has been busy in the evenings since Tuesday, so we have all the TV shows we normally watch recorded and will start watching them tonight. We will just about catch up to reality and will by then have more stuff to watch.

I recorded this tournament and started watching it about 20 minutes ago, and Fast Forwarded through the basketball game. Also the advertisements.

This is also the reason to TiVo it, or DVR or whatever. I have rarely watched live TV for the past 4 years. Sure, during the week if I am working, the golf channel is probably on but it is really just background noise. My wife has been busy in the evenings since Tuesday, so we have all the TV shows we normally watch recorded and will start watching them tonight. We will just about catch up to reality and will by then have more stuff to watch.

I recorded this tournament and started watching it about 20 minutes ago, and Fast Forwarded through the basketball game. Also the advertisements.

Unfortunately TV doesn't rank high on my priorities list. I don't even have cable much less a TiVo.

What's in my Bag:
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Let's change gears a little bit. What do you like or not like about TV golf coverage? Which networks and which commentators do you like best and why?

What's in my Bag:

Let's change gears a little bit. What do you like or not like about TV golf coverage? Which networks and which commentators do you like best and why?

I wish they would show some of the guys towards the bottom of the leaderboard occasionally just to see them hit some shots. As far as commentators go, Gary McCord makes a lot of random ass comments and it can be distracting at times, so I'm not a huge fan.

I know exactly the game you are talking about, it was Kentucky getting whipped by Tennessee, the problem was, t least on my television that was not the bballl game scheduled, that game had ended and they were showing bonus coverage of this game instead of golf, and this was Sunday afternoon, Northern trust open. I too thought this was totally stupid, not even the fans of those teams were watching that game, it was 75 to 40 with 5 minutes to go, what could possibly be missed, it ended something like 85 to 52.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I know exactly the game you are talking about, it was Kentucky getting whipped by Tennessee, the problem was, t least on my television that was not the bballl game scheduled, that game had ended and they were showing bonus coverage of this game instead of golf, and this was Sunday afternoon, Northern trust open. I too thought this was totally stupid, not even the fans of those teams were watching that game, it was 75 to 40 with 5 minutes to go, what could possibly be missed, it ended something like 85 to 52.

After the Heidi Game no TV operations people can or will make that judgement call. They are showing NCAA BBall for example and probably were showing the KY/TN game on the local station. Since it was not over, even if the score would seemingly say it was over, they will show the basketball until ALL the games are over. It makes no sense most weekends but wouldn't you be upset if on Sunday they did not show the playoff for the Northern Trust Open because it was past the allotted time? Or even the Hyundai Tournament of Champions with Dustin Johnson on the 17th hole with a 4 stroke lead because they ran over time? Or even worse, last year's Open Championship with Adam Scott having a 5 stroke lead with 4 holes to play, and they cut to 60 Minutes?

Anything of interest that happens at the beginning of a golf tournament is shown 2 or 3 more times anyway. Don't get me wrong, I do not watch or even like basketball. If the Maves and the Lakers were playing in my street I would not know them or care, but I do not want to miss the end of a golf tournament or other game that I am interested in. And I do not want some TV program director making the call of what I am interested in and not. I just record shows for longer than normal and make sure the shows I want to record and watch that come on after sporting events have the DVR set to appropriately.

You get one guess who remembers that game..... even though he was only 9 years old. :D

Silver and black? Raiders? Sorry...

Sincerely,

A Patriots Fan

Long Live The Tuck Rule! AKA - payback for Ben Dreith's Phantom Roughing the Passer call in 1976!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

And it was NOT roughing the passer!!!!

And it wouldn't have been an issue if Oakland could have picked up less than a yard on third down just a few moments before!

This is why football is a gas - who'd think this same argument would be raging 11 years later!

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

The Raiders had a hell of a run from the late 60's into the late 80's...that's nothing to sneeze at!

After 40 years of embarrassment with the Pats, the last 12 years or so have been something to appreciate...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

but this last decade has been a lesson in futilty for Raiders fans. :(

Shoulda never let go of Woodson....thanks for that though ;)

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Shoulda never let go of Woodson....thanks for that though

Unfortunately, Woodson was tagged twice. He was injured during the two years he was tagged. The last year, he basically made $10 million to ride the pine. I hated to see him go, but there was no choice after that. He's still one of my favorite Raiders.

The move was good for him. It rejuvenated his career. I enjoyed watching him with the Pack, but it was bittersweet.

Archived