Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Hackers: What handicap would make you not embarrassed about your handicap

jaxbeachpackerfan

Today, wrote a couple of long posts on the subject of "What is your true handicap", the gist of which was that I used to play on a course that was easier than it's rated, so my handicap was probably too low and now I play on a course that is way harder than rated, and my handicap is way higher, even though I think I have significantly improved overall as a golfer. My handicap is at the level where I am frankly embarrassed, at a level that I used to categorize in my mind as a hacker. Got me to thinking (I've already had two glasses of wine and a glass of white brandy (just saw that at the liquor store, never had it before and its VERY good) so I am waxing philosophical now). What handicap would I no longer be embarrassed to have? I think, as I look back to my days in Wisconsin on the easier course, a course handicap of 13 (maybe 14) would do it. I know that I tend to view any 9 score of 43 or below to be acceptable given my game and the time I'm able to devote to it (bad back severely limits practice time), and that translates pretty good to a 13 or 14. I'd strive for better, but I wouldn't feel embarrassed to walk up to the tee with strangers and announce that number (I have the distance to play any of the tees except the tips, my scores don't change much between tees).

You'll note I have not yet put my handicap in the signature. I'm a 14.6 index, course handicap 17. There you have it. I am "embarrassed". I feel somehow that I shouldn't be discussing merits of equipment and custom shafts and course strategy with 2, 3 or 6 handicappers. I know I have I educated opinions on things, that I love the consistency of steel irons over graphite, that I hit a stiff shaft much better than regular shafts and a TP driver much better than the regular and my drive on seven last Tuesday with a 3 wood, non-wind aided on a moist fairway went 258 yards perfectly straight, but damn, none of that matters with a 17 handicap.

Time for another white brandy.

I know every good golfer can play, and enjoy playing, with golfers of any reasonable playing ability (as long as they don't play slow, take dozens of practice swings and don't ****** about every bad shot as though they are surprised they hit one), but I can't help but feeling the "decent" golfer respect level is 3 or 4 strokes below my current handicap.

Ummm, that white brandy is a keeper.....

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

The whole point of the handicap system is to even the playing field, so I never got why people get embarrassed about their handicap. It's also an awesome way to judge how you are doing and to set goals to get better. IMO, it's kind of like finances, it's much worse if you don't look at it and pretend it's fine.

Personally, I think it's far more embarrassing to say you're a good player, and then shoot over 100.

Personally, I think it's far more embarrassing to say you're a good player, and then shoot over 100.

I agree with everything that WD said, I don't think anyone should be embarrassed about their handicap.

To touch on WDs comment above; someone who says they are good and shoots 100 is flat out lying. I don't think I've shot 100 since I was about 12 years old and never even really flirted with it when I was a 15 handicap. At a 5, I'm more disgusted than embarrassed, with anything over +10.

I think you're being way too hard on yourself.

I agree with everything that WD said, I don't think anyone should be embarrassed about their handicap.

To touch on WDs comment above; someone who says they are good and shoots 100 is flat out lying. I don't think I've shot 100 since I was about 12 years old and never even really flirted with it when I was a 15 handicap. At a 5, I'm more disgusted than embarrassed, with anything over +10.

I think you're being way too hard on yourself.

Kind of my point. The life of a 17 handicapper like me now is inconsistency. My current handicap card has an 81 and two 84's. It also has a 98 and a 104. I'd like to think I have some talent, I can actually hit lots of good shots (not lucky) shots in row or in a round. I can also have days where it goes south of the equator. I never know when the bad days are going to show up.

Kind of my point. The life of a 17 handicapper like me now is inconsistency. My current handicap card has an 81 and two 84's. It also has a 98 and a 104. I'd like to think I have some talent, I can actually hit lots of good shots (not lucky) shots in row or in a round. I can also have days where it goes south of the equator. I never know when the bad days are going to show up.

This is where not only course management comes in, but also swing management. I have days where my swing is off and I'll play 3/4 punches around the course. I'm consistently good at chipping, so I know on days when I'm off and I have to manufacture a swing, I have a chance to score well with my chipping.

Exactly!

which brings me to 2 points....

First, the guy who says he's better than he is before the round usually gets all pissy when he plays to his real skill and is no fun to play with. Which leads to...

Second.....guys who are having fun and keep it positive are enjoyable to play with....even if they are not good golfers. I'll join these guys for a casual round any day!

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I don't think that ever changes. Heck look at even the pros....65 one day....75 the next.

I think once one starts honestly breaking 90 they have quite a good grasp on the game. They just have a few (or several) small things to work out that add up to many strokes on the course. It does not.......by any stretch of the imagination.....mean they are clueless.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

This is where not only course management comes in, but also swing management. I have days where my swing is off and I'll play 3/4 punches around the course. I'm consistently good at chipping, so I know on days when I'm off and I have to manufacture a swing, I have a chance to score well with my chipping.

I do have to admit I don't do that. I'm always trying to fix it, a fiddler with my swing. I used to have a really good punch three wood now that I think of it, but haven't tried that in years. Maybe I'll go practice that, along with my chipping, which has been abysmal lately.

On the other hand, if I had done that in my last round (the one that got this introspection started), I would have foregone one of my best 12 hole stretches ever. I had the lefts off the tee and had a triple and 3 doubles in the first six holes--at that pace I'm clearly headed to triple digits. In taking a few practice swings, I realized I was taking the club back too far inside. Boom, starting striking the ball great and went 5 over par the next 12 holes, and that with 2 three putts and 2 up and down in threes from the fringe (short game again). Rarely happens like that, but that's what keeps me trying to fix rather than scale back.

IMO, a 20 is where you shouldnt feel embarassed. If you can play bogey golf most of the time, thats nothing to sneeze at.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

At age 60, having started playing 9 summers ago, I worked hard to get to a 17.3 handicap ;) I just really started taking the game seriously about 5 years ago with the goal of becoming a bogey golfer. I got to that point about a year and a half ago and my new goal is to try to bring it down another 2-3 strokes this year. I'll never be a great golfer, but I'm happy with where I'm at now, as long as I keep having new goals each season and enjoy the company I'm playing with. I just try to be realistic about my game and happy to be playing it, although I wish someone had introduced it to me when I was a lot younger - lol

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I know it's easy for me to say this, though I can tell you that if you try to play by the rules, keep the pace up and are pleasent to be around, you can play in my foursome any day.

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

Great post Richard! Great way to sum it up too!

I know for myself, I'm more interested in becoming a better more consistent ball striker than what my actual score is right now. That's why I chose to play with blades, for now anyway. Feeling where I'm striking the ball on the face keeps me from thinking I'm doing better than I am which is what happens with SGI clubs that don't give you the feedback. Anyway, my point is, I go out to have fun more than compete. I don't like making bad shots anymore than the next guy. But does it really matter? Not really. Disappointing when you know you can do better, but losing your temper? Yea, that's hard to be around. Just have fun and keep moving. It's just a game after all!

What R.P. said!

I do know what you mean though JBPF (and welcome to the forum!). I don't really think it's necessarily about a specific number regarding handicap, there's just a certain point where you kind of feel like you are capable of getting around a golf course without embarrassing yourself. Where you might not score great all the time, but you're going to hit enough good shots, and even a few great ones where people give you a bit of credit for being able to play, where at least you're able to get into a bet and not be "dead weight", where you're able to get a birdie and not feel like it was luck, or a scramble for a tough par, get it up and down out of a bunker or chip one in on purpose. It's when the things that require actual GOOD golf shots start to happen, even though the bad shots still happen too often.

For me, I think that feeling started to come when I was around a 15-17 index. That just seems be the point at which a person has the skill to do all aspects of the game well, but is still struggling to put it all together. At that point it seems the game changes a bit, at that point, a player has the fundamentals of the game, they're developing a repeatable swing, starting to get a predictable ball flight and starting to expect the ball to do what they want it to do. At that point the game moves a bit from the physical to the mental. Then it starts to be more about if the player has the discipline to play the smarter shot, can they conquer the nerves in a pressure situation, can they start to cut back the penalties, and can they at least sometimes get themselves out of trouble and save bad hole?

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Great post Richard! Great way to sum it up too!

I know for myself, I'm more interested in becoming a better more consistent ball striker than what my actual score is right now. That's why I chose to play with blades, for now anyway. Feeling where I'm striking the ball on the face keeps me from thinking I'm doing better than I am which is what happens with SGI clubs that don't give you the feedback. Anyway, my point is, I go out to have fun more than compete. I don't like making bad shots anymore than the next guy. But does it really matter? Not really. Disappointing when you know you can do better, but losing your temper? Yea, that's hard to be around. Just have fun and keep moving. It's just a game after all!

Blade and Richard--I agree, great comments. But just to be clear, my dilemma or embarrassment is not with worrying whether I'm worthy to tee it up with the low handicappers or whether they really would not rather play with me. I comply with and embrace the fast play, good attitude, good times regimens and our group ranges from 4 to a 21. I don't doubt that most that played with me would not hesitate to play with me again. I'm referring to the pride thing that when you introduce your game level, what's the initial visceral reaction (not that that is really important). To get to the level where if I hit a long drive or stick an iron with good "soar factor" (e.g. it's a good looking shot), that the "good shot" compliment is not said with a hint of surprise. Where I could comment on the spin characteristics of a certain ball (yes, I spin and back up 7 irons on down), without feeling that "they" are thinking, what the f*** does a x handicap know about spinning a ball, or a certain shaft or whatnot.

It's not how does a high handicap cope, it's what handicap do you have to have to cross the threshold where you're not a "high handicap" in others' minds? Me thinks its 14.

Interesting thread, Jax.

I'm currently a 27, and have been taking my golf much more seriously (maybe even to the detriment of my scores actually...) over the last year. I have taken quite a few lessons, although I could do with a few more. And I do try to practice regularly. But my regular is not the same as another guy's regular. With a one year old at home, golf is about #3 on my priority list, with the wife and kid fighting it out for the top spot.

Anyway, while I wouldn't say I am embarrassed with my hacker handicap, I don't always enjoy the looks I get when playing with someone I haven't played with, and I'm asked for my handicap.

The initial reaction seems all too often, to be one of almost disdain, where my playing partners kind of wonder if I'm inflating my HC for betting purposes. I have even had people questioning me if I ever post my scores, if I start off a round well.

Personally, I would be happy if I could shoot scores around the 90 mark, some under, some over, on a regular basis. With the amount of time I spend on my game, that would be a level of play that I could live with.

But my aim for this year is to get below 90, and stay there. I just need to be creative with my time management, so I can get in the practice time required.

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

First, bear in mind that roughly 98% of EVERY golfer that tees it up, be it a in cow pasture, a manicured muni, resort course or private club, fails to break 100. That being said, I do not think that it is fair or productive to say where "decent" golf begins and life as a "chop" ends. I believe that there are many factors that are much more important, at least to me, as to a person's desirability as a playing partner, and pure playing ability/handicap is at best, fourth on that list.

Number one, and what I'll look for is a player's desire to play by and abide by the rules of the game, and I'm speaking of the spirit, not the letter, because I've played for 45+ years, and I damn sure don't know all of the rules, so I do not expect this of others. I do expect them to play fairly & honorably, regardless of ability. I have a much higher tolerance for a newer player or a higher handicapper and their lack of knowledge of the rules than I do for an experienced player or low capper. In those, I see it as a character flaw.

Number Two is a player's attitude on the course. Regardless of ability, how do they carry themselves. It is so true that you can tell a lot about a man/woman by playing a round of golf with them. Club throwing, slamming, swearing, sulking and what not tells a lot about a person. And I'm not speaking of playing in competition or a tournament. That is different. I am speaking of a non-tournament/swat round. I quess the word would be a "social" round, even if a little money is on the line. Big money? That's like a tournament/swat. Competition. Different game. In a social game, do they conduct themselves as a gentleman/lady? Regardless of how they're playing, and especially if they're playing poorly.

The third area could possibly overlap in the first two, though it is my biggest pet peeve so it gets it's own paragraph. What I'm speaking of is "pace of play." I don't care what your handicap, be you chop or scratch, take an appropriate amount of time to hit your shot. If you went into the woods or can't find your ball, go on the clock immediately. If you're outa the hole, pick your ball up, unless your playing partners insist that you hit & play it. I went out again after our swat last year and one of the guys was a 23-25 capper. Nice guy. Newer member. A little intimidated, I thought. Anyway, he sprayed a few and got caught in the trees and had hit three shots(Par 4) before he got to the 200 marker. Anyways, I see him come walkin across the fairway and I knew his ball hadn't come this way & I asked him what was up? He said that he was just picking up cuz he was holding us up.

Two things. #1, there were guys on the green, so I & the other guy couldn't hit, and #2, this guy might hit a lot of shots, however, he played quickly, I thought, a little too quickly. I told him to drop a ball and take his time, breathe, enjoy the round. Just relax. Long story short, he hit the ball better. He was so uptight about playing with better players that he was in a rush to "get it over with," and just "be done with it," in his words. It was an enjoyable round and he hit the ball better, actually beating his handicap on the next 17 holes.

My point is, if you're out there for fun, just keep your pace of play at an appropriate pace, try to play by the rules and all's good. If you're a 20, 25, 30+ however you're trying and playing/practicing to improve, just remember one thing. Every single one of us has been there. Every one.

I know it's easy for me to say this, though I can tell you that if you try to play by the rules, keep the pace up and are pleasent to be around, you can play in my foursome any day.

And JPF, welcome to the forum. Great thread!

Have a great season

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Thank you for this response Richard!

I play to a 22 at the moment, but I like to think that I play exactly like Richard posted.

Sure, I get on myself for hitting bad shots, but that is because I believe I can play better than the ball I hit indicates.

Unless you're in a tournament or playing for money, what does it matter what your handicap is? As long as you are having fun, you shouldn't be embarrassed by a +, 2, 8, 15 22, or 36 handicap.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Personally, I would be happy if I could shoot scores around the 90 mark, some under, some over, on a regular basis. With the amount of time I spend on my game, that would be a level of play that I could live with.

No you won't :lol:. You may think that now, but the desire to break 80 is stronger than breaking 90 because you feel like you've broken a similar barrier before.

I have the opinion that the golfer that holds a TRUE handicap and reports all scores plus plays by the rules of golf should be very PROUD of whatever the number is. An honest handicap is so rare in golf anymore you would be a minority, this is a personality trait that you should be proud to represent.

If you really think about it I would say majority of golfers have some degree of a VANITY handicap. Lets be honest how many golfers do one of the following then report the score for handicap reasons? This list could get longer then what I have I'm just hitting the big ones:

~ Gimme putts (you can't give putts in stroke play only match play and match play scores can't be used for handicap consideration)

~ Mulligan (two off the first tee very popular practice if you need it)

~ OB played like a lateral hazard (or a variation like 2 strokes and a drop)

~ Unplayable lie given a free relief (instead of a stroke and drop)

~ Preferred lies all year around from everywhere (winter rules taken to an extreme, roll it up baby)

~ Picking up after X amount of strokes (more a pace of play thing then anything and handicap kicks out hole scores too high anyways)

Sandbagging is actually a lot more rare you only run into these golfers in money games and net handicap tournaments

~ Commonly only report their high scores for handicap consideration

~ Also possible that they will report a gross score that's not hole by hole of say 80 where it would be reduced to 78 sine one hole was a quad bogey.

>> little things that purposely balloon the real net score.

I am not sure what percentage of golfers have an HONEST handicap anymore, I can tell you it is a minority and a rare bread of player. I respect a person that is HONEST about their handicap more then someone that lies about it in either direction. For me the vanity golfer is more annoying then the sandbagging golfer.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

HaHa, Dude, great to see ya join the discussion :)

You stated it much more eloquently & succinctly than I, lol.

You'd think that I'd pick somethin up from readin your posts, HaHa

Have a good one

Fairways & Greens 4ever

I get to meet 100s of people a year randomly paired with them playing golf. I literally never ask for anyone's handicap, because i don't care about the number. I am going to judge you for your personality traits not some silly number.

As the old saying goes or something like this:

"You can tell more about a person in 18 holes of golf then you will in three months of business negotiations." This is why some people still do business deals on the golf course.

For me the number won't stick out in my mind, the fact you gave me an HONEST number or a FAKE is what stands out more. The two are drastic differences in someone's personality.

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

R.P.

Here's a recollection of a typical conversation from our group when I first started playing, when we were getting the 5:30 am times at the local muni's and didn't have handicaps and a good score was breaking 100.

Ha, Ha--outdrove you!

So, what, only 5 yards, besides, it was a whomp-click.

Don't care, still beat you.

Much rather have good soar factor than a whomp-click.

How many practice swings you going to take?

(for the uninitiated, a whomp-click is the shot with the driver off the tee where you hit the ground a few inches behind the ball. Tends to straighten out the club face and you often end of with a decent hit).

• SPY VIP

Handicap is no big deal to me anymore and I'll admit I used to get caught up in it as an image thing. I like to keep one to see where things average out, but lemme tell ya I've shot 71-108 over the past 4 years. Golf has become an outing for me and like it has been said above; just playing with good people who play by the rules and are serious enough makes for a great day. Besides why not be a 14, who on any given day could break out and take an extra $5 off your playing partners.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

And regarding "soar factor," I gotta admit, 45+ years in and that's the first time that I've heard that phrase used as a barometer. I prefer to stick with how far a guy/gal's approach ends up from their target. Whether they're a +3 or a 23, if they stick a shot at 10-15', I believe that they both obviously had the ability to hit the shot, it's just that one has a better mental image of the swing needed to produce the shot versus the other on a consistent basis.

Well said Richard.

Regarding spin, I definitely would not equate one's ability to "spin it" with handicap, as I am a low spin player and I know of two pluses that I play with, one who's played at and will again play this year at Augusta(Nathan Smith) who are "low" spinners also, and I find that those who sit around and talk about "spinnin it" or "curvin it," if we all walked out to the range, with all of us standing there watching em, they'd be lucky to make solid contact and not vomit on themselves, much less "spin" or "curve" it at will.

I about spit out my drink when I read the part about vomiting on themselves. It seems like one of those biggest myths in golf that great players are all also high spin players as well.

I think the myth really started from watching pga tour players on TV seeing how much "action" / "spin" as the announcers put it on the ball. Well you take a 8000rpm spinning ball have it land on a green speed of 3, 6, 9, 12, 15 (stimp meter reasdings) you'll get way more roll / movement out of the 15 and 12 then the 3 and 6 speeds. Tour players play on green speed ranging from 10 to 16 (average of 12-13 non-majors around 14 for majors), average public courses are 4 to 8 in terms of stimp speeds. You're of course not going to get as much roll from the ball after the spin grabs on a slower green then the tour players play on.

Also, spin/skid is one physical state of the ball, true roll is a different state of the ball. Once the ball grabs it is no longer skidding / spinning it is technically rolling. It is sort of like someone yelling "bite" or "spin" when a putt is already rolling across the green. It doesn't change direction from forward to backwards in middle of a roll, unless someone/thing forces it to.

In short "backspin" is only a function of the friction between the ball and green as it lands, once it "grabs" is when the ball transfer into a roll state instead of a skid/spin combo.

Regarding spin, I definitely would not equate one's ability to "spin it" with handicap, as I am a low spin player and I know of two plusses that I play with, one who's played at and will again play this year at Augusta(Nathan Smith) who are "low" spinners also, and I find that those who sit around and talk about "spinnin it" or "curvin it," if we all walked ou to the range, with all of us standin there watchin em, they'd be lucky to make solid contact and not vomit on themselves, much less "spin" or "curve" it at will.

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Ha Ha! Boy ain't that the truth! It's cool to be able to spin it, back it up to the pin and all. Yea, "impressive". I can't count the times I've landed a ball within a few feet of the pin and spun it back to the front of the green though! Or look at Kyle Stanley's shot that landed by the pin and spun back off the green into the water and he lost the tournament over it. It's only "good" if you plan on overshooting the pin and backing up to it. What counts is where the ball stops. Not where it lands. I'm doing much better at just stopping it where it landed compared to over spinning it back. But yea, just the ability to put good spin on a ball doesn't equate with handicap whatsoever.

Ok, good points on the spin. Reason that I mentioned it is that HHs often scoop or slash their irons, or can't hit them at all. Just trying to say that I hit down on the ball and the ball goes up. I don't have to rework my swingpath or swingplane to significantly lower my handicap. Lower body coordination, short game, staying and/or hitting out of the rough, that's a different matter.

I've stayed out of this one because I figured it was for higher handicappers but I see that went out the window a while ago so I'll take a hack at it.

From my perspective I really don't care what the guy/gals handicap as so long as he/she doesn't sulk too long after a bad shot, moves along and is versed in ettiquette. As to the line of demarkation between high and mid-handicap who knows - around 18 I guess - anytime I'm doing anything competitive with higher handicappers its a team sort of thing where you need them on your team so I'm happy to have them there - there's always the potential that they'll go off!

I'm wondering more and more about golf as the measure of a person's character though and here's why - I have a friend, a college roomate and one of my very best friends - off the golf course he is honest to a fault, generous, kind, really lots of fun to be around - on the course?

It's like jeckle and hyde it really is. He will drop second balls even when the course is packed (although we've just about broken him of that nasty habit), he is up and down like a roller coaster based solely on his game, he says he's a 9 when if he recorded every stroke he'd be closer to a 15 or 16, he's constantly berating our other roomate who is a very, very tough 22 (there are times where I think the 22 could take him even up because he's much tougher mentally), last year he hit my driver and threw it - yeah you read that one right - he once broke the shaft of my 8 iron on the driving range warming up - that was a joy because it was a Ping back when it took the entire season to get the stupid thing reshafted. Oh and he's so slow you would think he was making a video for how not to play ready golf. Have you ever seen a guy wait for his turn, address the ball for a 35 yard pitch, stop and grab his laser to make sure he had the right yardage? Again I'm serious about this. The first time he pulled that one I started laughing because I thought he was kidding around. Man did I get the look.

I got him out of the drop the ball habit and so now those who play with him regularly (I just get him 3 or 4 times a year on buddy trips) want me to talk about the slow play next - as if he's my project. He's not - I just live with it because I love the guy the entire rest of the time I'm around him.

Sorry for the vent but you've really never seen anything like this one. :(

Oh as for the difference between tournament or bigger money golf matches and casual stuff I don't think that a tournament or more moeny are excuses for people to act like jerks - it's okay to be upset about a bad shot but not so upset that it disturbs your playing partners - you should be fun to play with regardless of what's at stake - that's my goal at least - I want the people whom I play with to have a great time and play their best golf - I want to beat them don't get me wrong but I don't want them to have a bad time while I'm beating them.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Well here is one high handicapper's take on this subject:

You can see in my signature that it shows me as a 25 (although right now I am down to about a 23.5 but I figure that's not enough difference to change anything) I usually will shoot a score somewhere between 95 to 100 but there are times when I can have a little better day and get down closer to 90. Then there are those other days I can really stink it up and go as high as 115 or 120.

Am I embarassed? In one sense, yes I am very much so because I have a competetive nature and this is nowhere close to where I want my game to be.

On the other hand, I have a beautiful wife and two beautiful daughters at home that I enjoy spending time with. I also have a job that requires 40 plus hours a week of my time(emphasis on the plus)

I say this to say that although I try to work on my game at any and every opportunity that I have, I am finding it very hard to do enough to improve to my satisfaction. I guess I think if I could get down to around a 15-17 that I wouldn't be embarrassed but then I realize that probably would not be enough to satisfy me either.

Anyway, as most of my family and close friends could tell you, I am obsessed with the game and enjoy learning more and more about it every day. All you low cappers out there look out, I plan to continue improving and I am coming to kick your butts!!

Today, I will do what others will not so that...

Tomorrow, I will do what others can not

Another thought provoking thread....

I have a job, so golf is for fun. If I've learned anything over the past year - and believe it or not, that ProMental Golf Coach software we got to review last year helped a lot - is to enjoy the experience. I'm an 11, want to be a single digit, try not to vanity-up my handicap, can't hit the ball as long as I used to and will probably need to play the whites more than the blues in the coming years although my ego hates it.

Let's play golf and have fun -- if we're about the same maybe a couple of bets to make it fun. If we're way different in our abilities then let's just have a nice time...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

No, there is never a valid reason to be rude, offensive or act like a jerk, regardless of what's at stake. What I meant for me, is that when I play in these swats or tournaments, even when I play the mixed pro/am with Madison, I wear my earbuds, listen to my iPod and walk by myself and stay to myself, thinking only of what's in front if me. That's the only way that I can play.

However, I'll always answer if addressed by a competitor & I'll always help them look for their ball without being asked & I'm always a gentleman, it's just that I can't "socialize" as I do in a "sh*ts & giggles" round such as we'd play together or as I'll be playing in Van this summer. That's for fun, comraderie & the memories.

Tournaments, at least for me, are not played for fun. If I play well and do well, then it's fun, though unfortunately for me I can only tell you in hindsight if it was fun. Sometimes I wish it could be different, however it is what it is.

Though there is never an excuse for rudeness or poor sportsmanship. I tied for 2nd in the Tennessee Pee-Wee(10-12yo) Championships as a 10yo and I went double bogey/bogie to lose by one stroke.

Anyways, I slammed my putter against my bag and stormed off without shaking the other boy's hand. This tournament was in July. My grandmother took my clubs and I wasn't allowed to play again until the following July 1st.

To this day, I've never not approached the individual, win or lose, to offer my congratulations or empathy. That was a very long year.

Fairways & Greens 4ever

You got a little Hogan in ya, dude...and that's not a bad thing at all.

I've only played in "friendly" tournaments - never really competitively with anything on the line. I'm guessing I'd be different, but you're right, there's never a a reason to be unpleasant, especially on a golf course.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

However, there is a part of me that really wants to backspin a LW 6-8' and leave it 12-18" from the hole. Hell, I'd even settle for spinnin it back offa the front of the green. But then, when I start thinkin like that, I've sorta forgotten the object of the game.

So ya see, there's not that much difference between me thinkin like a player and then thinkin like an *sshole. With me, it's a real fine line B)

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Ha Ha! Dude, you crack me up sometimes! :P But you're right. Play your own game. Not someone else's. When you can play at the level you're at, who cares how much spin you put on the ball? You're getting it in the hole in fewer strokes than I do! However, like I say, I pay good money to play. So if I take more shots, I'm getting more for my money!!! :lol:

Archived