TESTERS WANTED! ×

Former Marine lies about combat duty in attempt to play pro golf

Moecat

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-marine-lies-pga-golf-20130221,0,3716075.story

A former Marine lied about his combat duty and sustaining a brain injury in an attempt to acquire sympathy and money in his pursuit of a professional golf career.

And it appears the media has again been duped without checking facts.

Michael Doyle Campbell, who was in the Marines from 2000 to 2004, admitted in federal court he told media outlets and military service organizations that he was injured in 2003 while on patrol in Fallujah, Iraq.

The former Marine told his tale of hoping to overcome a brain injury as he pursued a pro golf career to media outlets such as National Public Radio and Golf Magazine, aiding him in defrauding charitable organizations of $40,000, according to federal court records.

Among the gifts he received: money for a car and car insurance, living expenses and golf tournament entry fees as well as golf equipment from sporting goods companies.

Campbell, though, served his tour of duty here in the United States and was never injured, according to court records. The Dallas Morning News in 2010 was among the first media organizations to figure out his story didn't add up.

He has agreed in a plea deal to admit to mail fraud, which carries a penalty of up to 20 years in prison, a fine of up to $250,000 and payment of restitution to the charities and people he deceived. A judge must still approve the plea deal.

It's amazing to me that anybody would think they could get away with it in the first place.Sooner or later the truth is gonna come out.

Ping G430 Driver, 19° Hybrid, Ping Anser 23° Hybrid, Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-GW, Ping 54°&58° Glides, Scotty Cameron 5.5

Criminals are dumb.

Only the ones that get caught ;)

I agree it's disgraceful...for anyone..let alone a Marine. Thing is....Marines are human too....and there will always be bad people...no matter where you look.

One shouldn't let one bad guy ruin the reputation of the other 99.999% of the true Marines. I know it doesn't for me.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I really hope that he does some time, because what he did is dispicable. What I found surprising is that he was actually a marine. He obviously lacks the moral compass that a marine has.

Why doesn't it surprise me that once again the press fails to do it's job.

verify & validate.

Yea, right <_>

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

As usual RP right on point. I myself am a proud Navy vetern and will be eternally grateful to the US Marine Corp. That is another story for another day

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived