Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

"Distance Irons"

Blade

OK, I've, sort of, kept up with the Rocketbladez review thread. Not so much lately, but I did read the reviews. It seems, as butt ugly as they are, everyone is liking them enough to get past that. They do sound impressive. JBones' toe shot going straight and nearly as far as he planned for example says a lot. That compared to the quasi-blades I play could make a difference on the quality of mis-hits for sure. Definite advantage there!

Here's what got me wondering about this though, that new TM ad for them. All their staff players telling us they play "distance irons". Sergio, I think it was, saying his 7 iron goes 206 yds. OK. My question is: Is that a real advantage? Will that drop a score? Forgiveness? Yea, definitely a good thing. Crazy distance? I don't know. So Sergio's 7i is 206. Most of us wouldn't be that long, even with that club. But say that's what you got out of it. Where does that put your PW? 170? 4i at 240ish? C'mon. Are they appealing to people's desire for lower scores, or the ego boost of pulling three clubs less than their playing partner? Where do your wedges end up if the irons are so long? Seems like we're missing the point of what irons are for. It's not to hit them as far as possible. It's getting the RIGHT distance. It sounds like they're consistent distance wise as well. But do you end up with a properly gapped bag? Even someone who needs more distance would end up with a gapping problem on the bottom end it seems like.

So, you guys who already have them, how do they work with the rest of your bag? Is the distance a scoring advantage, or just cool to say you used a 7 iron when your buddy just used a 4 or 5 iron? Just wondering if the concept is something I would actually like. I play less forgiving clubs at this point because I want to improve my ball striking. Would switching to super forgiving clubs help my score? I'm sure it would to a point. Would 10-20 extra yards on each club help my score? I really doubt it. But what do you all think about them realistically?

That's one of the main reasons i switched from my Nike VR_S to the Adams MB2s. I couldn't stand that i had no real consistent gaps at the end of my bag. The MB2s are much harder to hit but when my ball striking is on then its no problem for me but to know that i can hit my 6 iron X yards on a consistent basis is worth sacrificing 10-20 extra yards.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I'll play devil's advocate here.......

Would you rather hit a 7 iron into the green or a 4 iron?

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I'll play devil's advocate here.......

Would you rather hit a 7 iron into the green or a 4 iron?

Depends on who I'm playing with lol. I'll say 4 iron because of the greater difficultly to hit over the 7 lol

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

I will add more to this tomorrow, but I'll add this for now.

Today my playing partner hit 4I into a 190yd par 3; his shot landed pin high, then ran through the green into the back bunker. I hit 7I and it the ball landed pin high and stayed pin high. If I swing hard, I can create some big gaps, but if I take a smooth 3/4 swing they are a pretty consistent 15yd gap.

Well, sure it's nice to have a short/mid iron into the green rather than a long iron, though I feel like golf still boils down to the "drive for show, putt for dough" mentality. Maybe we should all play normal sets with RocketBladez short irons replacing all the regular long irons...

I'm only half kidding about that too. I wouldn't do it, I didn't see as huge of a difference in distance considering that the Taylormades had jacked lofts and long shafts, though maybe a lot of people can. A lot of the fun in golf for me is in the appreciation of the physics (to quote Veldar Conehead loosely) and the constant strive for that "perfect" shot.

The persistence of marketing that's geared toward distance is a pretty classic appeal to human ego and emotion, which are two of the absolute most powerful motivators. I don't know that it's good for the game, but it's going to have to run it's course.

Paul

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

I will add more to this tomorrow, but I'll add this for now.

Today my playing partner hit 4I into a 190yd par 3; his shot landed pin high, then ran through the green into the back bunker. I hit 7I and it the ball landed pin high and stayed pin high. If I swing hard, I can create some big gaps, but if I take a smooth 3/4 swing they are a pretty consistent 15yd gap.

I sort of like this idea, but just in theory. I would like to hit a 7 iron to a 190 yard par 3. But let's think about this. A 15 yard gap between clubs and hit a 7 iron 190, That means you hit a 3 iron 250. And worse, you hit a PW 145. Really?

I would need a bunch of wedges, because when my driver is working well, on my home course I would not even most of my irons. I think an 11 or 12 yard gap is much better. And further I do not want to hit my PW more than 120-125. This is not really a full swing like I take with the driver. I do want as much as I can get out of a driver but from that point on, I want specific distance now 17 more yards. That is a putt of 51 more feet. And 17 + 10 is an 81 foot putt. However, we would need bigger greens to have an 81 foot putt most of the time.

Depending on which set of clubs I use, and how many wedges I am carrying on a particular day, but I would rather hit a 4 iron to a par 3 190 yards than so that I have more options with lesser distances. If I need it to stop at 190 yards I will hit down on the ball and make it spin. If I want it to run I will hit more into the back of the ball with different wrist action to make it run.

I have many more 100 shots than 200 yard shots. So much so that I often have a gap at 200 yards so that I have a wedge for 100 yards.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I've moved from player's CBs to more forgiving irons that have "jacked lofts". I don't care about extra distance but the extra help I get from the lofts does a couple things. One, I can hit them farther if I needed to. Two, it can help mentally taking less club or taking a smoother swing with my normal club. And three, I'd rather take a 7 iron over 6 iron even if the same loft because in my head, I think of more precision with a 7 than 6. It's more mental than anything for me but there are those cases where it helps performance. Although with pros, they don't really need them because they hit far enough as it is.

After having read the Rocketbladez reviews, and noticing how much the guys loved the long irons, I decided to try out the 4i as an option of the tee.

This past weekend when I finally found my swing (only on hole 13 unfortunately), I hit some really good tee shots with it.

Sure, it had some good distance. If I had hit my MP53 4i flush, it would most likely have been in the same area. But the MP53 isn't as forgiving as the Rocketbladez. When I put a really bad swing on it, the ball still gets out there, going 150 yards easily, and more or less in the direction I point it. I will admit that I have had some big slices with this club, so it is definitely not a magic club.

But that added forgiveness off the tee, is helping me plenty. Does it go further than the 4i from my set? Maybe a few yards. But if it was a little shorter, and still had the same forgiveness, I would still be bagging it.

But as the other guys have mentioned, distance claims play to the ego. And we all have 'em.

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

2 things

1. According to shot link from two seasons ago the average 5 iron from the fairway on tour went ........... 185 - the 209 for a 7 iron comes in the final round with the greens baked firm and the heart rate running around 120 or so. Does that mean I haven't seen guys hit 7 iron 200 - of course it doesn't but I want us all to get back to reality here and recognize the reality of our golfing lives - with very few exceptions.

2. TMag doesn't want us to do that - they know that distance sells and that yes the overwhelming majority of people would prefer to talk about hitting a 7 from 200 after their round or for the rest of the season than they would breaking 80. They do focus groups when they work on their advertising and they are accutely aware of what will sell more clubs.

So as I see it this forum and this site exists to cut through number 2 - we can go to lots of other places to stoke us on number 2 - places where everyone on the site carries it 290 and hits and hit 8 from 195 routinely with their MP 64's. Understanding that it would no doubt be better to use a 7 from 190 than a 4 - that's why I would use a 4 hybrid from 190 and hold the friggin green with it or why I would hit my 5 hybrid, land it 15 yards short and let it run out.

I was actually going to go up to the Rocket bladz thread to say I hit some shots with the tour version yesterday and was incredibly impressed by it. It was a 7 iron with a Project x steel 5.5 shaft in it - very nice feel to the club, great trajectory, much thinner top line and sole - for me it went 150 which is the same distance as my current 7 iron or my last 7 iron or for that matter the 7 iron that I had before that one - going back to the set before that I was longer with that 7 iron than I am with any of these new ones - heck when I got out of college I could hit my Kroydon Paul Harney 9 iron 150 so that must be the best 9 iron I ever had. B)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

What difference does it make what you hit or if the loft of your 7 iron is the other guys 4, it is all the same, 24 degrees is 24 degrees, no matter what the number. In fact they should do away with numbers, it is just confusing, put lofts on instead. What is this game coming to, Taylor is just strong lofts and longer shafts and that is what it is about, it is not the fantastic top secret gizmo head, it is simply loft and length. Sure, there are spring faces now we didn't have years ago, but that again loft and length rules.

Cobra was the first with the King Cobra. I had a student that was hitting his wedge 135 to 140, WOW. After the lesson I went into my shop and checked the specs, the loft was a current 8 iron and the length was 1/2 long of std. for a wedge. No wonder, the guy was really hitting a 8 Iron. You can fool yourself all you want but if you really want to find something out go hit a 7 iron from the 70s and then a 7 iron from today, that will show you something. I can remember the days when a P/W was 50 loft, today a P/W is 44 or 45. Now there are some companies that make Tour Irons that are close to the old lofts, but even they are usually in the 48 degree range.

So you see, it is all done with smoke and mirrors and I hear every day how far guys are hitting their Irons, WOW a 170 yd. 7 iron, I just laugh cause it is my days 5 iron, big deal. By the way, anyone see the amount of ball run they were getting at Riviera? A 250 yd carry was resulting in a 305 yd. Drive. Make those fairways tight and hard for yardage, it all sells clubs, and that is what it is all about,,,,,,distance, not much about accuracy, but distance is King, no matter how you get it.

I sort of like this idea, but just in theory. I would like to hit a 7 iron to a 190 yard par 3. But let's think about this. A 15 yard gap between clubs and hit a 7 iron 190, That means you hit a 3 iron 250. And worse, you hit a PW 145. Really?

Well, if I had the 3I, it may get close to 250 off the tee and yes, I CAN hit this PW 145, but I don't regularly. Does that surprise you though, I mean, with my old set I could hit a 6i 200yds and a 9i 150yds and with these lofts, thats basically what the 7I and PW are. I really just take advantage of the forgiveness and try to play these irons to NORMAL distances, by taking a smooth 3/4 swing. On a regular playing day, I play the PW anywhere from 140yds down to 50yds. I can hit this 7I 200yds if I want to and when I do, it's the softest landing 200yd shot you've ever seen, but for the most part, I try to keep it around 180.

What difference does it make what you hit or if the loft of your 7 iron is the other guys 4, it is all the same, 24 degrees is 24 degrees, no matter what the number.

I'm going to disagree with this point. Yes, 24 degrees is 24 degrees, but there is a HUGE difference between a low launch 24* and a high launch 24*. I can hit the RBladez 4I farther than I could hit my old 3I and I don't have to worry about holding a green, because of the trajectory. The point of my post wasn't to brag about hitting my 7I the length that my playing partner hit 4I, it was that I held the green and he didn't. Lets say by chance he was able to hit the RBladez 6I the length of his current 4I, but with twice the trajectory and hold the green............wouldn't that be beneficial to his scoring?

Well, if I had the 3I, it may get close to 250 off the tee and yes, I CAN hit this PW 145, but I don't regularly. Does that surprise you though, I mean, with my old set I could hit a 6i 200yds and a 9i 150yds and with these lofts, thats basically what the 7I and PW are. I really just take advantage of the forgiveness and try to play these irons to NORMAL distances, by taking a smooth 3/4 swing. On a regular playing day, I play the PW anywhere from 140yds down to 50yds. I can hit this 7I 200yds if I want to and when I do, it's the softest landing 200yd shot you've ever seen, but for the most part, I try to keep it around 180.

My point is that after further thinking about it, I decided that I would rather have smaller gaps in my irons in the 100 to 175 range and larger in the 175 up range. This is what I am currently doing with the "Black Set" listed below. As I have stated many times when you get into the 200+ yard range there is usually some elevation change to deal with or wind or simply air temperature that will effect the distance the ball travels. This is why at least with this set I am going for tighter distances on the mid, short irons and have more wedges.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I'm going to disagree with this point. Yes, 24 degrees is 24 degrees, but there is a HUGE difference between a low launch 24* and a high launch 24*. I can hit the RBladez 4I farther than I could hit my old 3I and I don't have to worry about holding a green, because of the trajectory. The point of my post wasn't to brag about hitting my 7I the length that my playing partner hit 4I, it was that I held the green and he didn't. Lets say by chance he was able to hit the RBladez 6I the length of his current 4I, but with twice the trajectory and hold the green............wouldn't that be beneficial to his scoring?

It seems like this is the point that gets lost in most of these loft discussions. As many have mentioned accuracy is a very important factor for irons (distance and left to right) but isn't trajectory also a very important factor?

I have no problems with jacked up lofts because if the height a 43* PW gets is still more than a 47*, it will do the job. I also think feel players have less issue with strong lofts, because all you have to do is swing easier to get less distance.

WITB

Driver: Calloway Diablo Octane Tour, UST VTS Silver

Hybrids: 16* Taylormade RBZ Tour 16*, 21* TEE XCG-3

Irons: Adams CB1 4-PW, KBS C Taper Lite S

Wedges: Nike VR Pro Forged 52*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG3

Grips: Lamkin Crossline Midsize

Ball: Whatever I find, prefer Bridgestone

I also think feel players have less issue with strong lofts, because all you have to do is swing easier to get less distance.

Exactly. I'm a feel player and I don't care how far I can "hit" a certain iron. Sometimes I will pull the 7I for a 190yd shot, sometimes I'll pull it for a 120yd shot. I can tell you this; I can pull the 9i from this set from 100yds and take a "pitch" swing and stuff it. The versatility and forgiveness of these irons are unmatched by anything I've tried before.

In reality, I don't imagine that many average customers are going to ask what lofts the shiny new clubs are. Most are just keeping up with the Joneses. It's ok. Sure it feels great, especially at my size (5'7" 140lbs) to pull out a shorter club and hit yardages people don't think that I can hit. Most of that comes from my rotation though. I just found out at GolfTec at the MN Golf Show that I'm actually getting 100-110 degrees of shoulder rotation. However, I'm still more interested in mastering the most difficult clubs to hit because it's more gratifying to me to be able to hit a 2 iron 220 than a 6 iron 220 given the difficulty level. To each his own though.

I've hit the RocketBladez and I liked them, but I don't want to create gaps at crucial short yardages.

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

I can't hit anything other than driver 220 unless I'm visiting mom in Arizona or getting some serious run out.

When it comes to the shorter irons the general issue isn't flighting them higher its flighting them lower and spining them the right amount to get them to hit and stop or suck back to where they hit but not much more.

I certainly see the advantage of hitting 7 iron over 4 iron all things being equal but I don't think that's the goal of this marketing campaign - it's a keeping up with the Jones' sort of thing.

Lost in this too is that having now hit the Tour version of this iron I greatly and I do mean greatly prefer it even though it may be shorter and I do mean may.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I can't hit anything other than driver 220 unless I'm visiting mom in Arizona or getting some serious run out.

I'm sorry, that was meant to be hypothetical. I can't hit a 6 iron 220 either. I was just going from one extreme to the other.

• SPY VIP

OK, I've, sort of, kept up with the Rocketbladez review thread. Not so much lately, but I did read the reviews. It seems, as butt ugly as they are, everyone is liking them enough to get past that. They do sound impressive. JBones' toe shot going straight and nearly as far as he planned for example says a lot. That compared to the quasi-blades I play could make a difference on the quality of mis-hits for sure. Definite advantage there!

Here's what got me wondering about this though, that new TM ad for them. All their staff players telling us they play "distance irons". Sergio, I think it was, saying his 7 iron goes 206 yds. OK. My question is: Is that a real advantage? Will that drop a score? Forgiveness? Yea, definitely a good thing. Crazy distance? I don't know. So Sergio's 7i is 206. Most of us wouldn't be that long, even with that club. But say that's what you got out of it. Where does that put your PW? 170? 4i at 240ish? C'mon. Are they appealing to people's desire for lower scores, or the ego boost of pulling three clubs less than their playing partner? Where do your wedges end up if the irons are so long? Seems like we're missing the point of what irons are for. It's not to hit them as far as possible. It's getting the RIGHT distance. It sounds like they're consistent distance wise as well. But do you end up with a properly gapped bag? Even someone who needs more distance would end up with a gapping problem on the bottom end it seems like.

So, you guys who already have them, how do they work with the rest of your bag? Is the distance a scoring advantage, or just cool to say you used a 7 iron when your buddy just used a 4 or 5 iron? Just wondering if the concept is something I would actually like. I play less forgiving clubs at this point because I want to improve my ball striking. Would switching to super forgiving clubs help my score? I'm sure it would to a point. Would 10-20 extra yards on each club help my score? I really doubt it. But what do you all think about them realistically?

Straight up Blade I will lower my scores this season but I will have to become better acclimated to my distances. I shall elaborate.

Flushed the RBlZ's go like a bat out of hell, but you don't always know exactly how much extra, I'm sure it's within 3-5 yards though. I played 2 weeks ago (first time since December) in the foggy rain, freezing cold and it took 8 hole to get the swing clicking. I was only 3 over at the time and I know that technology was keeping me in the game, less 'leaked' shots overall. Early on until I got fully turning all my irons were consistent and always up where I needed them. With my forged irons I'd be hitting those weak fades or draws just off the greens and having to use less loft/trajectory to do it. Now I'm sure on an off day having a 7 in hand over a 6 is a big mental hurdle leaped. I had a scenario where I was 195 in the rough, over water and and that 4 irons took off with ease. That thing didn't move at all and landed pin high. I also figured out during this round, as JBones has already said that playing smooth 3/4 shots matches up to my other irons distances pretty spot on making getting around the course that much easier. The gap wedge in these can easily be used from 130 yards and in. Point is if you want "help" via technology it IS available.

Now I'm not saying it's the end all. Is there an adjustment and tradeoffs? Yes. You get clunkier looking clubs, these are not yo grand-daddy's blades. I'd rather be looking down at a players cavity etc but that isn't what these are. Are the trajectory's low? No, these are designed to get up and go, I do hit them mid flight however. And you can "knock" em down and work the height enough though. You can draw or fade them but it's not as predictable because tech is saying the ball should go straighter. These are what they are - game improvement irons.

But really all in all what do I like? The point and shoot capabilities. Golf has not been as fun the last few years other than playing with the Mrs.MBP because my swing is in a rebuild state and I can't always hit em where I want to. With these game improver's I've been given the ability to slow it down and just hit em. Most of the time they are right on target. And for me this is what I want at this moment. Sure my swing will improve and I don't doubt that my forged cavities will revisit the bag again so I can play with shots and work it more. But for now I'm just going to enjoy the benefits of getting around the course with less stress.

Everybody in this thread has valid points about game improvement clubs and what they can/can't do for you. I'm not at all promoting these to the point of you should run out and buy them. They ARE NOT everyone's cup of tea. All I'm saying is that if you want more help without immediately having to improve your swing the equipment is there to help you along.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

My pro had a great comeback when I told him I wasn't happy with my pitching wedge distance. He said "why worry about hitting your pitching wedge further when they give you a 9 iron in the set?"

I stopped worrying about hitting my irons farther after that. However, hitting my 7-iron 165-170 does make me feel more manly.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Just looked up the TM rocketbladez tour specs, and what read is different than what I am reading here. The loft is 1 degree off of the standard for the average from 2000-present, which makes all of the other clubs 1 degree stronger, standard for 3 iron is 20*, standard for RBLDZ tour is 19*, but the real difference is the length that as been stated here, standard for 3 iron is 39" for steel, and 39.5" for graph. The RBLDZ tour 3 iron is 38.75". While the loft is stronger the length is shorter, so basically you will get extra distance for the lower loft, 7 iron is 33.75*, that is only .25* different from standard. The claim by TM to get all of this extra disance really makes no sense. The show these guys hitting these clubs on commercials, yet if you read the bottom of the screen really close, you will read that the player who they are showing actually does not use these clubs they use different clubs. Callaway does te same thing, and I am sure Mizuno, Adams, titleist, and many others do the same. My take on it is, find some clubs that feel good in your hands and play them, so what if you can't hit a 7 iron 209 yards, very few if any would actually pay that anyway. Find a club yu can hit to 209 and use it. Tim Clark is a perfect example to go by if you are a shorter hitter.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

• SPY VIP

TM claims isn't because of the degree of loft or iron length. There basing it on their "Speed Pocket" I think.

TM:

The Speed Pocket flexes and rebounds at impact, increasing the speed of the face to promote faster ball speed and a higher, stronger ball flight that lands on a steep, quick-stopping descent angle.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

You know what's funny about the speed pocket - I remember Wilson having something like that back in the late 70's.

Nothing new under the sun

There is a difference between the regular Rocket Bldz and the tour version - the tour version has a much cleaner look and I believe it also has a bit more loft. For those who don't like the look of the regular Bldz I think the tour version would be well worth a try. It's a nice comprimise.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

There is a difference between the regular Rocket Bldz and the tour version - the tour version has a much cleaner look and I believe it also has a bit more loft. For those who don't like the look of the regular Bldz I think the tour version would be well worth a try. It's a nice comprimise.

Like I said, I really do like the RocketBladez (particularly the Tours). I think they're a huge step forward from the Tour Preferred line. I could even see them in my bag based on a lot of factors, though the one thing that will keep them out of my bag is that I'd feel like just another person with the same irons. It's kind of a superficial reason to not bag clubs, but I do still like the feel of what I have more. Hopefully that's the way it stays because I really should cool it with my club ho-ing.

TM claims isn't because of the degree of loft or iron length. There basing it on their "Speed Pocket" I think.

TM:

The Speed Pocket flexes and rebounds at impact, increasing the speed of the face to promote faster ball speed and a higher, stronger ball flight that lands on a steep, quick-stopping descent angle.

My recent post was based on the previous posts in the thread, there was talk about the specs being very different, I just decked out what the actual numbers were. Although standard is relative new ads cease all manufacturers are different.

Compare my MP68 3 iron to the RBLDZ 3 iron, length is te same, but loft is 2 degrees different, 68's 21 degrees, RBLDZ tour is 19 degrees, it would make sense that you would hit the lower loft farther, but you will also sacrifice control. Just my thoughts on the subject that's all. If you like them play them.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I wonder how these would play if you ordered the tour version of the RBZ but had the lofts weakened to match the traditional lofts how much extra distance you would have because of the speed slot

I wonder how these would play if you ordered the tour version of the RBZ but had the lofts weakened to match the traditional lofts how much extra distance you would have because of the speed slot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLMsAoe7PME

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Good to see I'm not the only one watching his videos... His "Weekly Fix" videos are really great.

This is (by far) one of my favorite posts about the TM ad machine. In some ways, their focus on reaching out to golfers whose ball striking is poor enough (I know "the majority") to require an equipment change for distance is both brilliant and infuriating at the same time. I was thinking about this in the same context the other day after seeing that exact commercial with Sergio commenting about 200+ distance with a club that, most of us (again, "the majority" ) should realistically hit between 155 - 175. Who really wants a 9 iron that goes 177? Have TM and SCORE wedges conspired against all of us? Should we soon be looking at a proposed change in the rule that limits the number of clubs that one carries to account for the additional "wedges" we will be forced to order to fill in the gap between our PW that goes 150 and our traditional GW that still goes 100? [i'm sure someone at SCORE has a prototype already (or it likely exists)] In any event, I think the real point ought to be that TM has sold so many drivers and fairways that promise increased distance that they have mistakenly determined that that is what (the "majority") wants in all of their equipment. In my opinion, the most important traits of irons include; feedback, accuracy, playability, and shot-shaping control. I'm pretty sure the best iron strikers in the game (say for this argument Luke Donald or Jason Dufner) are not chomping at the bit to trade in their forged 712's and Mp 64's (that don't sport a "power slot") so they can add yards of obnoxious distance. In the same way most of us should not be looking to trade in familiar distances, feedback and control for something that makes us in (the "majority") appear to be in the minority. Unfortunately, that will reveal too many other parts of our game that cannot be masked by technology. In the end, if you are in the market for a club change the smartest thing you can do is be fitted. If you are someone who hits your 7i 123 and thinks that Rocketblades are the way to "equalize" the playing field in your favor (ie. the new NIKE Covert Driver "I'm Back!" commercial) by all means try them out. However, I certainly think that there are much more important characteristics one should look for in a set of irons than absolutely absurd distance.........but then again it got me talking about them ....."Damit TM, you've done it again!!!! "

Archived