TESTERS WANTED! ×

Swing mechanics change causing havoc

JSHIBONE

Good day everyone.

I am pretty new to this forum but I would like to share my story to get some help from you experts out there~ (basically everyone except me)

Recently I have changed my swing mechanics from "somewhat" forceful to more of "smooth" swing. This caused slower clubhead speed but so does it lessen burden on my left shoulder which I had surgery not too long ago. Driver clubhead speed went from 110-115 down to 95-100 but I no longer have pain on my left shoulder from extending it fully.

I had to go get fitted again for my driver shaft since it didn't work for me with changed swing mechanic (as well as swing speed). Costing more money and effort to change swing than moving to a new house........

I don't know how bad this will impact my game but I would like to find out if smooth swing mechanic will slowly build up my swing speed in near future or not. I certainly feel less pain physically but this seems like I will experience intolerable pain on my score card this year.

Driver: Callaway RAZR FIT 9.5 with Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 Stiff

Wood: Titleist 910FD 13.5 with Aldila RIP Reg

Hybrids: Ping G10 15 with TFC stiff; Titleist 910H 24 with MR Ahina Stiff

Iron: Nike VR II Pro Combo 5-PW

Wedges: Ping G15 54 degree, Scratch 8620 56 degree, Cleveland Tour Action 900 60 degree low bounce

Putter: Odyssey ProType PT10

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or/and Titleist V1

Glove: Callaway Diablo

Shoes: Adidas Powerband 3.0

I had the same issue (shoulder surgery) and had to smooth things out. I'm up to around 105 mph. with the driver. I don't think I'll get any more speed, at this point.

I had my shoulder repaired 5 years ago. It doesn't hurt to swing a bit harder now, but I've gotten used to a smoother swing. I think my game has actually improved because of it.

Good day everyone.

I am pretty new to this forum but I would like to share my story to get some help from you experts out there~ (basically everyone except me)

Welcome to the forum you might find some helpful information towards the bottom of the forum on swing mechanics in the University section. I know I have a ton of posts on various things in that section.

Recently I have changed my swing mechanics from "somewhat" forceful to more of "smooth" swing. This caused slower clubhead speed but so does it lessen burden on my left shoulder which I had surgery not too long ago. Driver clubhead speed went from 110-115 down to 95-100 but I no longer have pain on my left shoulder from extending it fully.

I am assuming that you are talking about changing your tempo not really swing mechanics if you are talking about "forceful" and "smooth". I could speculate a few reasons for the pain and loss of club head speed other then a simple tempo change.

I had to go get fitted again for my driver shaft since it didn't work for me with changed swing mechanic (as well as swing speed). Costing more money and effort to change swing than moving to a new house........

I don't know how bad this will impact my game but I would like to find out if smooth swing mechanic will slowly build up my swing speed in near future or not. I certainly feel less pain physically but this seems like I will experience intolerable pain on my score card this year.

It depends on how you define smooth. If you are talking about any 3:1 ratio (look up TourTempo for more information), and then you have a proper swing sequence then yea you should technically get more distance not less. I have no idea what your handicap happens to be. Majority of AMs are "forceful" starting at the top of the swing, they try to "hit" the shot right off the rip starting down rather then letting it build up like a whip.

If you leave the hands passive in the first move of the down swing and start with the lower body (exact moves would depend on the swing model / plane) then let the energy come into the arms, wrists, down through the club in the head, the head should be traveling at it's fastest point right at impact and just after.

I said earlier I might be able to guess why the club head speed drop and the pain in the left shoulder is happening. My guess would be that you are releasing with the upper body and thus when you slowed down the movements of that part of your body you lost club head speed. The pain is probably from not allowing the left arm to fold under the right allow the forearms to make an X after impact and some sort of chicken wing happens.

This is all speculation without ever seeing your swing on video. It is a good idea to find a local teaching professional and work with them on a proper swing sequence / release.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

wow.

Just came back from a lesson. This was my third session with local CPGA Pro who showed me the "smooth" tempo. Like R.P. Jacobs II mentioned, I thought about going through lessons (its been 6 years since I actually had a swing lesson from a pro) and it worked out great. Only to find out that my swing speed is down ........ to the point where I had to change my shafts from X to S. As per jmiller065's post, I am slowly but surely finding comfort from smooth swing tempo yet not patient enough to get myself used to this "smooth" swing.

The moment of Impact has changed significantly. I don't know how to describe this but I just don't feel that Sweet yet Smack when hitting the ball. All I can feel when I pure it is that of "softest" feel of ....... wedge shot should I call it?

Instead of feeling shaft bend and recoiling on its impact, I feel more of throwing rope type of feel. Maybe I am ranting instead of inquiring but two things for sure,

1) carry distance is down at least 12 yards, and

2) ball/tee position is about an inch further left (aligned with my left middle toe instead of back of my left hill) which does not "FEEL" right.

Changes were huge. Not just tempo change but grip, address, take-off, impact, and to follow through had to be all overhauled. All due to my shoulder problem. One thing for sure though even though distance shortened a bit dispersion has gotten a bit better. I expect to adopt this swing (well.... no choice now after the surgery) which will take me a good month or so of hitting the ball everyday.

Just when I thought my game was going towards single digit, catastrophic even happened and hope this doesn't throw everything back to 90's..........

Thanks for all your great suggestions and support. MGS is great!

Salute~

Wedges: Ping G15 54 degree, Scratch 8620 56 degree, Cleveland Tour Action 900 60 degree low bounce

Just wanted to toss in my 02 cents here and re-comment on some things.

As per jmiller065's post, I am slowly but surely finding comfort from smooth swing tempo yet not patient enough to get myself used to this "smooth" swing.

I was trying to understand what you were saying is all, tempo and swing mechanics are two different things. You can swing "smooth" without changing your previous mechanics at all.

The moment of Impact has changed significantly. I don't know how to describe this but I just don't feel that Sweet yet Smack when hitting the ball. All I can feel when I pure it is that of "softest" feel of ....... wedge shot should I call it?

In other words you hear impact you don't really feel impact. Normally most people when they hit the sweet spot this is the situation that they are in no feel of the impact in their hands they only hear it.

Instead of feeling shaft bend and recoiling on its impact, I feel more of throwing rope type of feel. Maybe I am ranting instead of inquiring but two things for sure,

1) carry distance is down at least 12 yards, and

2) ball/tee position is about an inch further left (aligned with my left middle toe instead of back of my left hill) which does not "FEEL" right.

I have not seen your swing, so I can't say for sure if distance will come back or not. My guess is that it will with a proper release and sequence and you get more conferable with timing the down swing properly.

I suggest using the upper body as a ball position reference. The feet can move around a lot to stabilize the upper body your head and shoulder position at address should stay static or close to it. I use my left (lead) shoulder, left ear, noise, right eye, right ear as ball position references for Driver down to wedges.

Changes were huge. Not just tempo change but grip, address, take-off, impact, and to follow through had to be all overhauled. All due to my shoulder problem. One thing for sure though even though distance shortened a bit dispersion has gotten a bit better. I expect to adopt this swing (well.... no choice now after the surgery) which will take me a good month or so of hitting the ball everyday.

Grip is probably the hardest thing to change, was it a strong grip to a neutral grip position?

Address, was it your posture being slouched or wrong?

Take-off (I'm assuming that means takeaway) probably too far to the inside?

impact, probably wide open body position?

follow-through was with the body and no wrist action putting strain on the left shoulder?

Just when I thought my game was going towards single digit, catastrophic even happened and hope this doesn't throw everything back to 90's..........

Sometimes we go backwards before moving forward sort of the nature of the beast.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Great analysis and good points everywhere.

As per your saying, grip and posture was the top priority to be changed in last three days. I was a bit slouched but not too much. Yet that caused my right elbow to depart further out from my core which caused earlier opening of my belt (body). But that was not too bad of change. I had to change all my clubs to mid-sized grip to start with. Then I was gripping too hard (bad habit). Learning how to almost let go~ was the hardest which caused my follow swing to lose itself around Andromeda.

Anyway, it is slowly getting better yet I still can't get used to this IMPACT feeling.

Thanks again for your great analysis and suggestions. Much appreciated.

Salute~

Archived