Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Truth in Advertising

MikeG

Watching GC this morning, X-Hot iron commercial comes on. Towards the end, I saw a little disclaimer on the bottom of the screen. It wasn't an HD TV, so I couldn't read it perfectly, but the gist was "Luke List plays Calloway musclebacks in competition"

I know it's a small thing, but compared to "I play a distance iron" over at the TM commercial, I'm really happy to see a "little" truth, even if it is in a disclaimer.

If you look at the fine print of the TMaG distance claims they also have disclaimers to keep from getting sued over false advertisement.

The TMaG fairway woods are one example I know off the top of my head:

"The 17yards additional distance of the RBZ was compared to the R9 at 150mpg ball speed". Not many AMs can reach 150mph ball speed on a driver let alone a fairway metal. The PGA Tour ball speed average is something like 165 on the driver a 157 on a fairway metal if that tells you anything.

Every company has marketing slight of hand and when they do you'll get some kind of disclaimer in the fine print of an ad for legal reasons.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I'm glad to hear that there is, at least, a disclaimer these days. You look backwards at the ads and you'll see the same old 10 more yards in one form or another from every manufacturer, and without a disclaimer. It's well know there is no such thing as a magic club but that silly and inconvenient fact is not going to stop us from continuing to search. :)

Shambles

• SPY VIP

Always read the fine print. That said, having spoken with more than one OEM on the issue, I can assure you that any claim (usually of the distance variety) that makes into an advertisement is basically bulletproof. Legal departments scrutinize the hell out of that stuff, and are often much more conservative than the product and marketing teams would like to be.

Using last year's RocketBallz as an specific example. Yeah...the 150 Ballspeed with a fairway thing is significant, however; what the product guys told me is that they believed most golfers (even those sub-150 off a fairway wood) would see the 17 yards. The 150*...that's what it took for legal to be comfortable.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Noticed in this year's ads they're saying "better players" saw an extra 17 yards with last year's RBZ? Don't remember the "better player" disclaimer in last year's ads...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• SPY VIP

Noticed in this year's ads they're saying "better players" saw an extra 17 yards with last year's RBZ? Don't remember the "better player" disclaimer in last year's ads...

It was there. "Better players" was in the main text. The fine print went on to describe better players as those who generate 150+MPH ball speed with a fairway wood.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Never noticed it last year -- I couldn't get past the "17 extra yards" to pay attention. Part of me was saying "no way," and the other part was saying, "hey now..."

As they say, "the mind is a terrible thing!"

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Does anyone really seriously believe anything that they see in an ad for anything?

As a youth and young adult I played my golf at Fairchild Wheeler in Bridgeport CT (it might actually be in Fairfield its right on the line). The course was right up the street from the PT Barnum museum.

You know what he'd say about those who buy into these ads uncritically. ;)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Does anyone really seriously believe anything that they see in an ad for anything?

As a youth and young adult I played my golf at Fairchild Wheeler in Bridgeport CT (it might actually be in Fairfield its right on the line). The course was right up the street from the PT Barnum museum.

You know what he'd say about those who buy into these ads uncritically. ;)

Seems to me that the primary objective of an ad campaign is to bring the brand name to the attention of the consumer. Repetition and proliferation accomplishes that very well. Further, repetition and successfully penetrating public awareness has a way of lending credibility to a brand. Outrageous claims do not buy credibility but they do plant the seed of possibility and that, often enough, earns the product a look see and a swing which brings up the possibility of a sale. Consider the technical difficulties that were behind the S2H2 design. It never truly delivered in performance, but it sold considerably because of the added attention. Those clubs got a lot of look see and swing action that led to sales.

Shambles

I would just like it to be know that while I make every effort to ensure the accuracy of my posts, I assume no responsibility of errors, omissions, or damage therein caused, and past performance is not indicative to current or future results. This post is not approved by anyone.:lol: TT&L not included/nor are batteries.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I would just like it to be know that while I make every effort to ensure the accuracy of my posts, I assume no responsibility of errors, omissions, or damage therein caused, and past performance is not indicative to current or future results. This post is not approved by anyone.:lol: TT&L not included/nor are batteries.

Would you like approval from my legal department?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived