TESTERS WANTED! ×

Thread "Ownership'?

RoverRick

The other day one of the guys said something about a topic that I had made a thread on several months ago. I "PMed" him the thread and he responded to it and life went on, but in my message, I said, here is "My thread" where we talked about that issue. Several times over the last year and a half I have referred to "My" or "Your" or someone else's thread.

Of course one of the most contentious issues is the putter ban and I have seen this type of thread go all over the place and seen people get really angry over it. I have been one of those people really angry over it, but am not necessarily referring to it now. I have seen threads twist and turn and start talking about one thing and change to something else, and have seen threads where people have become upset when the topic switched a bit. So my question is, Is it really our thread once we have posted it? or is it MGS community and free to go where it goes?

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I think that once you post it it open for all opinions but I think it should still have Somthing to do with the original topic.

Posts are free so if you want to go another direction you should start a new thread. Just my opinion

So whats is everybody's favorit Beer?...... Just Kidding.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

I would say we don't own the threads we start, ideally there would be some legalese at registration indicating that all posts are property of MGS, I don't know if MGS has this or not.

We are pretty much reliant on other's courtesy and the decisions of the admin team here. It is possible to delete or prune posts out of a thread and place them into a new thread if one wishes. I think to some extent it is the nature of having a forum discussion that things can get off track. Alot of sites have moderators in addition to the admin team to help manage the forums, keep posts clean, delete and archive old threads, etc.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Rover, to be fair that'll be me then!

Actually bad form on my behalf; I went on off topic. I reckon once you stick a topic out there it's a free for all - but it should stay on topic (yep will be trying to learn that lesson!)

some threads become personal conversations and that should move to PM really.

The good thing about this site is that we don't get to hung up on things though, bit of steering from the regulars is not a bad idea though if someone (well me I suppose) gets a bit off piste.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

I think to some extent it is the nature of having a forum discussion that things can get off track.

I agree with that.

I'll also say that oftentimes the threads that go off topic (or spiral helplessly out of control at times) often turn out to be the best threads!

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Rover, to be fair that'll be me then!

Actually bad form on my behalf; I went on off topic. I reckon once you stick a topic out there it's a free for all - but it should stay on topic (yep will be trying to learn that lesson!)

some threads become personal conversations and that should move to PM really.

The good thing about this site is that we don't get to hung up on things though, bit of steering from the regulars is not a bad idea though if someone (well me I suppose) gets a bit off piste.

No no, I realize we went off topic, you and I last week but this has nothing to do with that. I had forgotten about that and was just sort of thinking in general terms. I used the putter because I could not remember any really bad episodes in almost a year, but we did have one then.:lol: Thankfully, I had the good sense to delete instead of post or things would be different today.:lol:

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

The way I look at it is we're all just guests here. This is kinda like high school or college - we're here for a few years and then we move on, others take our place. Best we can do is enjoy each other's company, knowledge and wisdom and have a good time. And I like the concept of a thread as a spinning top - they go where they go...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Wise man - think before pressing post, a mistake I've made in the past.....

Now Did I mention I own 3 belly putters?

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Wise man - think before pressing post, a mistake I've made in the past.....

Now Did I mention I own 3 belly putters?

Really, which ones? I'll read it while I wait to get my clubs back from having new shafts put in! ;)

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I have seen threads twist and turn and start talking about one thing and change to something else

I think the most notorious out of these would be the Distinguished Gentlemen thread. I bet most wouldn't remember how it started in the first place without going back to the first page

Good question Rick. Some subjects are more open to "meandering" than others. Some are started for a singular purpose and others are started to encourage conversation in general. I asked Super Tuna a question in his thread and he answered which led to another question. At that point I figured I better start my own because doing that on his thread with its own subject matter, which was about him building his bag, would not be appropriate. If it had been more of a generic thread about equipment, I don't think it would have been out of place.

As far as ownership goes; I think that depends on the subject matter in the same way. MBP's Gentleman's thread has become everyone's. Congrats to him for what it's become. It started over an ad on the top of the page. Who woulda thunk it would still be going. But we've sure learned a lot about each other in it. That's gotta be the ultimate compliment for a thread- to say it has developed a life of its own. So in that case, although we won't forget who started it, it's all of our's at this point.

If you start a thread about something of "yours", whether that's equipment, mental strategies, your practice routine or whatever, that's different. That's when I think you keep ownership of it. If someone comes on and blasts you or takes it over with his own topic, you have the right to put a stop to that. If I had kept pestering Tuna about my own questions on his thread, he would have been entirely within his rights to ask me to PM him or start my own thread about it.

That's just my opinion though.

• SPY VIP

Good question Rick. Some subjects are more open to "meandering" than others. Some are started for a singular purpose and others are started to encourage conversation in general. I asked Super Tuna a question in his thread and he answered which led to another question. At that point I figured I better start my own because doing that on his thread with its own subject matter, which was about him building his bag, would not be appropriate. If it had been more of a generic thread about equipment, I don't think it would have been out of place.

As far as ownership goes; I think that depends on the subject matter in the same way. MBP's Gentleman's thread has become everyone's. Congrats to him for what it's become. It started over an ad on the top of the page. Who woulda thunk it would still be going. But we've sure learned a lot about each other in it. That's gotta be the ultimate compliment for a thread- to say it has developed a life of its own. So in that case, although we won't forget who started it, it's all of our's at this point.

If you start a thread about something of "yours", whether that's equipment, mental strategies, your practice routine or whatever, that's different. That's when I think you keep ownership of it. If someone comes on and blasts you or takes it over with his own topic, you have the right to put a stop to that. If I had kept pestering Tuna about my own questions on his thread, he would have been entirely within his rights to ask me to PM him or start my own thread about it.

That's just my opinion though.

Well written post Blade.

Does anyone remember the original name of the gentleman's thread?

See what I did there?

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Well written post Blade.

Does anyone remember the original name of the gentleman's thread?

See what I did there?

There ya go... takin over "Rick's" thread! :lol:

I came in just after you changed the name to get Richard out of trouble! I know the gist of what it was, but never saw the original name.

Even though you started it as a joke, we're all glad for what it's become and we won't let it disappear into oblivion!

I guess we better hand "Rick's" thread back to Rick though! :lol: :P

Thread drift happens on any forum, no matter the topic.

It doesn't bother me at all. To me, it's just natural to inject a little small talk along with the topic at hand. Sometimes the thread will just take another direction for a while. No biggie...... at least to me. ;)

Archived