TESTERS WANTED! ×

High Tech Swing Trainer Shootout 2013

Interested to see how the golf sense, attached to a glove, montiors hip rotation????

also I would like to know if the shaft attachment gives better feedback than the glove. Not sure you guys can do that but curious to see.

I have the swing smart as mentions before and it shows exactly what I have seen on video in the 3d montioring of my swing. the shaft connection does tend to move a little but I like it far better than a glove conneciton (but then again I don't use a glove) :D

To check hip rotation, you have to put the GolfSense sensor on your belt instead of your glove

GolfSense must be used with a phone with gyroscope to measure hip rotation. Phone in pocket - GS still on glove. 100% accurate? No. Indication of what you're doing? Yes.

Thansk guys! still alittle skeptical about how it would portray what I am doing since the phone isn't really connect per se. if it is in my pocket the pocket woul dhave to be euro fit tight to my body to get any real correlation.

GolfSense must be used with a phone with gyroscope to measure hip rotation. Phone in pocket - GS still on glove. 100% accurate? No. Indication of what you're doing? Yes.

Really? I guess I've assumed it had to attach to your belt. Having your phone in your pocket do the measurement seems very prone to error.

• 1 month later...

Matt,

I think you did an excellent job on your initial effort. Just include the one made by Sky Caddie. I think many of us are holding off a purchase until we see your results and conclusions. I know it's a big job, but I hope you start soon.

We would like to include everyone but unfortunately it's not up to us. If you want to see a company participate (we are still waiting on sky golf and swing byte) please get on twitter and tell them you want to see them involved in the @mygolfspy high tech swing trainer Shootout.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

We would like to include everyone but unfortunately it's not up to us. If you want to see a company participate (we are still waiting on sky golf and swing byte) please get on twitter and tell them you want to see them involved in the @mygolfspy high tech swing trainer Shootout.

• 3 weeks later...

can't wait; what others have said...maybe throw all this in a big table?

my thoughts:

alignment and set up

switching clubs ease

stability

app and analysis

training (skypro seems to have a cool way to train you, do the others?)

accuracy vs. trackman/flightscope

power (swingbyte says battery lasts 4 hours, skypro 8...really that different?)

will it make me better (use with pro or on my own)

Putting (vs. industry standard ping app :) )

video and syncing with analysis of swing

support

return policy?

• 1 month later...

Had to join MGS since I enjoyed the initial Swing Trainer Shootout. Great job Matt and look forward to your update!

strolf has a good list going so here are my thoughts:

1. Hardware and software

Since these swing trainers are technology devices, it would be helpful if the review of each device is broken down based on i) hardware and ii) software. On hardware, a listing of the specific sensors, gyros, accelerometers being used after all, there are limitations on what a sensor can read, obsolete tech, lifespan, build quality, and durability in indoor / outdoor conditions. Also, details on stability, mounting effectiveness on particular steel, graphite shafts, and the diameter of shafts used in testing. On software, you can break it down based on UI, information displayed on Android, iOS devices (iPad, iPhone). Hardware is a fixed cost, but software can be improved with new app updates.

2. Accuracy compared to TrackMan

TrackMan is the PGA standard so if the data is off by x% then the results will be misleading. Testing should include outdoor grass conditions with golf balls, indoor mats with foam balls and no balls / brushing off the matt since a number of folks in the northeast will be relying on these swing trainers when winter rolls around. A primer on important metrics to look for in analyzing swings would be helpful for newbies.

3. Swing analyzers should encompass full swings to putting strokes

PING has the iPing cradle, app that utilizes the sensors in an iPhone, iPod. Rather than attaching a bulky device to your putter that alters the putter's swingweight, these lightweight swing trainers should be able to detect tempo, face angles, and transmit those results to your mobile device. Please add the iPing to the list.

4. Add the Noitom MySwing Golf Swing Analyzer to the list

Golfsmith has some positive reviews so may be a worthy contender.

5. Pre and post-sales support

These devices are not inexpensive and should last more than one season. A lot can happen with technology products. A company that is responsive to customer feedback / requests and acknowledges issues and stands behind their product wins my dollars.

• 10 months later...

I have the SwngTip and have used it a few times. When I first got it, it was almost unusable as there was an issue with their phone app for the android not registering swings with slower takeaways. A recent patch fixed that problem. I am not 100% sold on their face angle measurements but the swing path seems reasonably accurate.

I am interested to see your review and opinion.

• 3 years later...

After they have updated their app, SwingTip seems to work fine along with the app that gives you tips and instructions on how to improve your swing. I think it also works with latest iPhones based on their description here. How is this compared to Swingbyte?

Archived