Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

High Tech Swing Trainer Shootout 2013

Though just thinking about it makes me want to dive off my roof, it is time to start planning the second High Tech Swing Trainer Shootout. So I ask you, readers:

What devices do you want to see included?

What questions do you want answered?

What features are important to you?

What did you like about last year's shootout? What did you not like? What can be improved?

Do you want to hear from the manufacturers?

Would you prefer that I threw all the devices in a box, picked one at random, and declared it the best?

So let's hear it. You know what they say, if you don't vote, you can't complain...or in this case, if you don't answer my questions, you can't b**** about my review.

-Matt

PS: Even if you do answer my questions, no one wants to hear your b****ing. ;)

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

1362461468[/url]' post='93773']

Matt, for the first go around, how comparable were the numbers of the various devices compared to flightscope?

Not sure I understand your question. All the info from the first test is in that review.

I can't remember if I put this request in for the last round of testing, but I'm going to request the Ernest ES12 be reviewed. I'm also curious if any of the Zelocity products are any good.

My big question is if there are any small, portable devices that will give accurate distance on shots hit at the range. I'm really looking for an easy way to do a gap analysis in more realistic conditions (i.e. outdoors hitting off grass).

Other than that I'm just interested if anything has come out or been upgraded since the last review that is a significant improvement over what was on the market last year.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

The new device from Skygolf. Can't remember the name.......... Skypro?

I'd like to hear more about the extras they offer. Online community? Awards for achievements, almost like Playstation and Xbox? Pro feedback on uploaded swings?

Not sure I understand your question. All the info from the first test is in that review.

It was, but as a graded value. I was curious how much off things like ball speed were between these devices and flight scope? I've noticed a pretty big difference at times and a huge difference at other times (saying I have a swing speed of 120mph).

SwingTip & SkyPro are the two I'm most interested in, from what I've read about them, so far.

As to the earlier question about Zelocity, based on what I learned while I was researching golf simulators and launch monitors last year, I dont recommend them.

I'm not going to "tout" another golf blog here but I spent a lot of time reading about both simulators and launch monitors on a Candian golf blog that has a dedicated section devoted to them and Zelocity is not highly regarded there.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

1362495798[/url'>' post='93802']

I can't remember if I put this request in for the last round of testing, but I'm going to request the Ernest ES12 be reviewed. I'm also curious if any of the Zelocity products are any good.

My big question is if there are any small, portable devices that will give accurate distance on shots hit at the range. I'm really looking for an easy way to do a gap analysis in more realistic conditions (i.e. outdoors hitting off grass).

Other than that I'm just interested if anything has come out or been upgraded since the last review that is a significant improvement over what was on the market last year.

We talked to Ernest at the show and a review is a no go for them, unfortunately. Some people can't handle the truth. :)

1362506167' post='93837']

It was, but as a graded value. I was curious how much off things like ball speed were between these devices and flight scope? I've noticed a pretty big difference at times and a huge difference at other times (saying I have a swing speed of 120mph).

Putting numbers to those things may be something we look to do this year.

We talked to Ernest at the show and a review is a no go for them, unfortunately. Some people can't handle the truth. :)

I guess that sums it up pretty well then. ES12 is strictly in the "no buy" zone

Agreed, off the wishlist for me. :angry:

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I just ordered on yesterday, should be here by the end of the week. I'm gonna put it through the ringer and see how it stacks up

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I just ordered on yesterday, should be here by the end of the week. I'm gonna put it through the ringer and see how it stacks up

Cool, I'd love to read a review of it once you get a chance to put it through the paces. Especially how accurate it is with giving distance.

Cool, I'd love to read a review of it once you get a chance to put it through the paces. Especially how accurate it is with giving distance.

Will do, it'll be here tomorrow so hopefully I'll get to take it out

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

This may be in the literature but do any of them after monitoring the swings report back issues with the swing and give an analysis of what could be improved and drills to improve it? Maybe I am asking too much.....or am just plain lazy and not reading the available material??????

This may be in the literature but do any of them after monitoring the swings report back issues with the swing and give an analysis of what could be improved and drills to improve it? Maybe I am asking too much.....or am just plain lazy and not reading the available material??????

I'll take the opposite approach and would hate it if they did. The main reason is there are a million ways to fix a flaw and there's no way they have enough data to know your body type and capabilities. You need an instructor to help with that. That said, they do give you a lot of information and feedback if you are working on something

...assuming they give *correct* feedback of course...

Here's my current list of invitees, please tell me who I'm missing:

Swing Smart

Swing Byte

Golf Sense

Swing TIP

Sky Pro (Sky Caddie product, I think that's the right name)

3Bays GSA

Great list so far. I bought the swing smart after last years review. here is my feedback. after two uses I had to send back the main body as it would not charge properly. Customer service sent me a new without any beef. I had some of my swings in the 120 range with the driver in january on a bad knee and I know that wasn't the fact. I never reached above 105 in my life. I would like to see if they could add some things to the app. such as picking up ball speed (not sure if it is possible...alogrithm??) also the angle of attack and the path (as mentioned in the review)building the product in one hurdle keeping it new and fresh with aded features would be something to see. I would also like to see a better way to view each shot. can't wait

I'll take the opposite approach and would hate it if they did. The main reason is there are a million ways to fix a flaw and there's no way they have enough data to know your body type and capabilities. You need an instructor to help with that. That said, they do give you a lot of information and feedback if you are working on something

...assuming they give *correct* feedback of course...

agreed. if there was something like this is would have to be developed around one teachers approach to the golf swing. many different approaches to many differnt methods of the swing. this would drive people bonkers. not to mention bloat handicaps :o Also, look at guys like furyk, no not that we all have loops and play on tour, but lets say a guy was a 1 capper and had a loop this thing would be recommending changes in the swing plane yet the dude is striping it.

• 2 weeks later...

All the companies have been contacted and all six:

Swing Smart

Swing Byte

Golf Sense

Swing TIP

Sky Pro

3Bays GSA

have given verbal commitments to participate in the 2013 HTSTS.

So back to the original point of this thread: WHAT DO YOU WANT TO SEE IN THIS REVIEW? What features do you care about? What couldn't matter less?

Would like to know;

Attaching to shaft/glove? Does it stay in place? Any weak parts in the design?

Do they have an online community? Possible to upload swings to internet? Show as movie on youtube? Share on facebook?

I'm interested in their use with a putting stroke.

I would find it difficult to actually purchase a unit that doesn't support both Android & IOS. Of course, quality data is essential before considering ANY of them.

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

• SPY VIP

Don't want to steal too much of Matt's Thunder, but...

The manufacturers participating in the test were given the option of sending out additional samples to other members of the staff. Think of it as 2nd or 3rd or 4th opinions as well as a source for notes and what not that will be included in Matt's final product.

To be brutally honest, prior to this I've had ZERO interest in these devices, but after looking at the websites, and reading about the reported capabilities of these things, I'll confess to being a little excited to see what they're all about, what works, what doesn't, etc.

Anyway, the first of the devices showed up on my doorstep yesterday. My two year old thinks it's a phone (she used it to call her mother who was sitting on the couch 4 feet away). I'm pretty sure we don't have a category for toddler appeal, but anyway, here's a few pics of the GolfSense device, which unlike most, attaches to the glove rather than the shaft. I'll be checking it out for the first time tomorrow while hitting balls for our driver test.

Although I haven't used the app yet, downloading and registering was simple. It's free in the app store (obviously you need the device for it to matter), but not having to deal with codes or serial numbers is nice.

golfsense-2.jpg

golfsense-4.jpg

golfsense-5.jpg

golfsense-6.jpg

golfsense-11.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

New software for GolfSense today. Registers hip rotation on Android too. And they've fixed a few bugs + better algorithm for club speed. GolfSense is my favourite if you want to keep it simple.

New software for GolfSense today. Registers hip rotation on Android too. And they've fixed a few bugs + better algorithm for club speed. GolfSense is my favourite if you want to keep it simple.

I'm going to have to try it again. One of the reasons I asked Matt about how these sort of units compare to flightscope is I was seeing numbers that were completely off with GolfSense, sometimes showing 120mph swing speed when I know I'm in the low 100s.

I still worry that these sort of sensors will give bad positive feedback. For example you tweak your swing so it gives good feedback, but the *way* you tweak it is also bad. The medicus swing meter was notoriously easy to trick to get it to register high swing speeds.

Interested to see how the golf sense, attached to a glove, montiors hip rotation????

also I would like to know if the shaft attachment gives better feedback than the glove. Not sure you guys can do that but curious to see.

I have the swing smart as mentions before and it shows exactly what I have seen on video in the 3d montioring of my swing. the shaft connection does tend to move a little but I like it far better than a glove conneciton (but then again I don't use a glove) :D

Archived