TESTERS WANTED! ×

Why can't I find a bag like I like?

I'm looking for a new bag. Problem is, NO ONE seems to make what I'm looking for in a bag any more. I'm loooking for a cart bag (preferably one that can be put on a regular cart or a push cart) that has plenty of pocket access when on either type of cart. The 2 HUGE factors for me, though are these: I want a bag that doesn't have a 72 way top (or 14, or anything for individual clubs, I hate those, because unless there is a full length tube for the club, the grips end up twisted and you have to literally FIGHT with the bag to get clubs out, plus, IMO it causes grips to wear faster because of the friction around those individual openings). Factor #2 is that I want it to have an INDEPENDENT putter well. I am picky about my putters, and I want it to be alone so it is further protected.

Why does no one out there offer a bag that has those 2 features and plenty of pocket access? I don't care if it's got a cooler (yeah, it's a plus if it'll hold more than 1 beverage), but I can put a soft cooler in or on either type of cart. The biggest issues I have is finding a bag that doesn't have a 14-way top and has a putter well. And I like them to look nice too and last for a while, but again, looks is secondary to functionality for me currently, if I can find one with a 5-7 way top and putter well I'll be pretty happy. Heck, I've thought about buying another staff bag and creating a putter well where the umbrella goes from PVC.

I'm using a stand bag currently because it at least doesn't have the 14 way top, but it sits all catty-wompus on the carts and wants to twist.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Doesn't exactly fit the bill since it does have slots for individual clubs, but have you checked out the Bag Boy Revolver LE lineup yet? Since the top is actually a soft molded rubber/plastic type of compound I've never felt like the it was rubbing on the grips when pulling clubs out and shoving them in. Fits well on my cart or push cart, plus eliminated the bag chatter. Maybe you wouldn't have to use your headcovers on your new irons then :)

Has two external wells for clubs, I use it for my putter and 56° wedge. The only negative I've seen so far is that the external clip mechanism does rub black nickel shafts a little bit. Not a big deal, but I noticed some wear on my Piretti. I can get a replacement shaft for $20 if I ever wanted to sell it though. I haven't noticed any wear on non-plated shafts.

The other thing I like about the LE vs. the older models of these bags is that the external well has a sleeve that comes up to just over the grip. So even if the club came detached from the clip (which hasn't happened so far with a year of use) the club won't fall out of the bag.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Don't like the revolver or the concept. Moving parts=more for me to break

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I hear ya man, you'd think with all the options available there'd be something for everyone but it seems like every model has a serious flaw, especially when you want them to ride nicely on a push cart. I've been searching for years for a good one. I'm surprised you don't like the 14 way top though, I wouldn't consider a bag without one. Helps me see immediately if all my clubs are there. Help me out and start bugging ClicGear to put a putter well on their bag, if they'd do that, it would be pretty close to perfect.

I'll never buy another bag without loading it up and putting it on my push cart and making sure it rides nice. I spent close to $200 on my Sun Mountain C130 bag, I thought it was "the one". I even put it on the ClicGear in the store and it looked fine. Problem was once I got it loaded up and situated and played a couple rounds I noticed that it did not have enough support where it rested on the top ClicGear bag supports. Once it's bungied in it compresses the back club slots making it hard to get the clubs there in and out. I've made do with it by not strapping it in on the top, instead looping the clic gear straps through some plastic D-Rings on the bag and it works fine that way, but I should have taken it back immediately. However, I will say that it has held up better than any bag I've had previously.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Yeah I tried one of those MG's a while back. Fell apart and gave it to goodwill. (I won't say fell apart, the zipper busted and the material at the top started coming apart).

I wished Clic Gear's bag had a putter well. If it did, that's be the bag. Maybe there's releasing a new bag to go with the 3.5? I saw several places have dropped the price on the current bag to 200 bones or so.

In The Bag

I have been looking for some time for a bag with exactly these same features. The Burton Exec cart bag just about fits the bill. I'm wondering if the "hidden umbrella well" can double as a putter sleeve. Anyone know? I've never seen the bag in person.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

Found it. Check out the Sun Mountain S-One 7-way cart bag. May have to pick one up myself.

STX xForm 3, 35"

That's the bag I use.

How do you like it? Any pros and/or cons you can share with us?

STX xForm 3, 35"

I like it quite a bit. I was looking for a bag with individual tubes because I hate when my grips get stuck on each other, and fighting to get a club in the bag. The pockets hold a lot of stuff and the putter well is deep enough to keep your irons from smacking the putter head, at least in my case (33"). The putter well will accept the new jumbo grips, as well.

It's a well made bag. I'll probably keep this one a while.

edit: I'm sorry, I have the S-One, not the 7 way.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, bought the 2011 version on the Sun Mountain C-135. Why the 2011 version? Because I caught it on close out (white black and red) for $145 vs $299 for the 2013 version. Last one that Global Golf had too. It's big enough that I'm considering replacing my luggage with it.

In The Bag

Yep, bought the 2011 version on the Sun Mountain C-135. Why the 2011 version? Because I caught it on close out (white black and red) for $145 vs $299 for the 2013 version. Last one that Global Golf had too. It's big enough that I'm considering replacing my luggage with it.

Nice looking bag, good deal too.

Archived