TESTERS WANTED! ×

What loft driver do you play and why?

MattF

Don't know if it's been asked before, but I was wondering what loft driver you play and why?

Were you fitted for that one or did you just hit it and like it?

I currently have 2 drivers, a Ping G5 10.5* Aldila NV 65-S and an 07 Burner 9.5* Reax 55 R cut 1/2" short.

I'm in the market for a new driver and I'm thinking of a 12* ( this one actually ) with an Adila NVS 65-R cut -1/2 short.

I believe that the 12* will help me off the tee, especially with the side spin.

Matt

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Think this has been covered in a lot of detail already... http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/8142-driver-loft-fitting/page__st__15

I play a Adams Fast 12 LS (Tour Head) @ 9.3* (measured at center of the face). Because it gives me the optimal carry and roll combination for spin and launch conditions through a fitting.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I have two drivers in rotation a R11 stamped 10.5 and a Cobra LV4 stamped 11.5 and just hit them the best at the time of purchase.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

I have three Drivers at current;

Powerbilt AFO 10.5* reg Fujikura shaft

Powerbilt AFO WMD 10.5* reg Project X 5.0 shaft

Callaway FTiz 11* reg Project X 5.0 shaft

I play the Powerbilt AFO WMD as it both has the most distance and stays in the fairway.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

10.5*. Ive tried various lofts and 10.5* gives me the best performance.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

My R11s is set at 9.75 neutral - it's stamped 9.0. In light of a recent review of driver lofts who the heck knows what that means. It's what I was fit for and in drawing all of the loft combos on this driver it's clearly my best one.

We have certainly covered this before but sometimes it's hard to unearth old threads so I'd say if you can't find the thread start it - thanks for starting this one MattF.

Since you started the thread I'm wondering why you think you need 12 degrees? Just because someone else hits it farther doesn't necessary mean you will - do you know what your AoA is? Have you been fitted for a 12? If side spin is your issue is it because of your swing or your equipment or a little of both? Would a draw bias - more weight in the toe, a closed face be the ticket? Could it be that the length of the shaft on your driver is too long for you to handle - that's a very common problem even if the shaft is cut half inch short - many drivers are 46" a half inch often is not enough. 44.5 or 44" could be the ticket for you.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy just trying to say - have you considered these other possibilities?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

We have certainly covered this before but sometimes it's hard to unearth old threads so I'd say if you can't find the thread start it - thanks for starting this one MattF.

Since you started the thread I'm wondering why you think you need 12 degrees? Just because someone else hits it farther doesn't necessary mean you will - do you know what your AoA is? Have you been fitted for a 12? If side spin is your issue is it because of your swing or your equipment or a little of both? Would a draw bias - more weight in the toe, a closed face be the ticket? Could it be that the length of the shaft on your driver is too long for you to handle - that's a very common problem even if the shaft is cut half inch short - many drivers are 46" a half inch often is not enough. 44.5 or 44" could be the ticket for you.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy just trying to say - have you considered these other possibilities?

No, I have not been fitted for a 12. My reasoning for the change is through reading (for what it's worth) and results.

My Burner is 9.5* cut to 44.5" (I believe that it was originally 46" standard). My Ping G5 is 10.5* standard length, but I grip down 1/2 - 1" and I hit it straighter and further than the burner.

So, to me at least, the higher loft is helping. I have no idea what my AoA is to be honest.

I would say that it's a little of both with my problem, but I do hit my irons and hybrids well...it's just the driver that's giving me fits. Maybe it's the space between my ears that's the biggest problem! ;)

My thought process is 44.5" length and 12* "may" be the ticket...but maybe I'm just drinking the kool-aid from what I've been reading.

BTW, I don't really care if someone is longer off the tee than me, I'm now trying to play smarter golf, not bomb and gouge.

But it is interesting to see what others are using and how they arrived at that particular decision.

Matt

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

When I got my driver fitted a couple of years ago, my fitter contacted Adams to check their stock for a head that was a close to 13* as they could. It's marked 12.5*

I've got both a slow swing and a steep angle of attack and get the best results with it I've ever had.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I play a 7* driver and have for the last five years. Back in college i used to play a 7.5*. Every once in awhile I'll try an 8.5* but it never works. With my launch angle, spin rate, and club head speed, a 7* driver is optimal for my shitty golf swing.

For the past five seasons or so my go to has been an Adams Speedline Prototype Classic Deep Face. I actually have 6 of them because they never came to production and well I'm a hoarder. My gamer has an Altus 2007 Proto, but I have one with a Fubuki, one with a black ops, one with a new bimatrix, one with a kiyoshi, and another that's just head only.

My new driver for the 2013 season, well the one to try for bag time, is the Callaway XHot 7* LD Pro driver. Right now I have a Graphite Design DI 7x and a ust vts spx black 7x shaft both with double cog tips. I also have a udesign rfe 8.5 in all black with matrix black tie 7m3 x that is supposed to ship in 3-4 weeks.

I'm so bored of playing the same driver year in and year out. I hope I like this new callaway one! I also hope the rfe is as low launch and spin as everyone claims it to be!

I play a Titleist 913 D3 at 10*. I've played it as low as 8.5*. I don't have any trouble getting the ball up, so I tend to play with the loft a bit. I like the higher loft in Spring and early Summer. I take it down a bit in July and August for a little more roll out.

Both my gamers are 10.5 a TMag R9 Super Deep and an R11.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Matt - do yourself a favor and go get fitted - seriously - you won't regret it - you could be dead on with the more loft thing.

AoA is Angle of attack - I struggle with the abreviations all the time and sorry that I used one here where it could have been misconstrued - if your angle of attack is up you create more loft and less spin (assuming its up and you're hitting the ball squarely).

Your thinking is sound but its best to know if that advice fits you for sure - I'm a pretty accomplished golfer and found out that more loft was causing me more problems even though I have moderate swing speed. Less loft, better trajectory, less spin, less curve, more carry and run out (when I hit it right).

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I forgot to tell why I play a 10.5. Because a 9.5 is too low for me. :rolleyes:

I hit the ball pretty low most of the time. Since I play in predominantly windy conditions this is generally good. But I am a low launch high spin guy. Most shafts are high launch high spin or low/low. Although over the past couple of years it has greatly improved.

The higher loft gives me a more optimal launch angle and I can use the lower spinning and lower launching shafts and still achieve a more optimal launch. I have recently added the Super Deep, which is a lower spinning head to the arsenal and i must say the results are awesome.

Matt - do yourself a favor and go get fitted - seriously - you won't regret it - you could be dead on with the more loft thing.

AoA is Angle of attack - I struggle with the abreviations all the time and sorry that I used one here where it could have been misconstrued - if your angle of attack is up you create more loft and less spin (assuming its up and you're hitting the ball squarely).

Your thinking is sound but its best to know if that advice fits you for sure - I'm a pretty accomplished golfer and found out that more loft was causing me more problems even though I have moderate swing speed. Less loft, better trajectory, less spin, less curve, more carry and run out (when I hit it right).

I will get a driver fitting...best to get sound facts rather than me half arse guessing. I'll just hit my 2 hybrid off the tee for the time being, as I know I hit that well and it would leave me in the short stuff.

I did know what AoA meant, I just have absolutely no idea what mine is. Obviously another thing to find out at a fitting. :)

In the bag:

Bag: 

When getting fit for loft I'm not sure you read the post I made in the topic I linked.

Pretty much all drivers have "roll" to the face. This just means from the bottom edge of the face to the crown edge the face rolls backwards and will have different loft at the sole point then the crown point.

If you measure a driver head at the physical center lets say it comes out to 9.3* (my driver has this loft at the physical center). Then you find the physical sweet spot where the Center of Gravity of the club allows it to balance on the back of a pen clamped vertically. Given that almost every driver has a LOW CoG the balance point will be higher then the physical center of the face. Thus the loft at the TRUE sweet spot is MORE then the measured loft in the center of the face. My 9.3* at the center of the face could be something like 11.5* at the sweet spot roughly thanks to the roll of the face.

So what you need for a proper fitting is three main things:

~ Your Angle of Attack (AoA)

~ The measured loft at the true sweet spot (1" to 1.5" high normally on most heads)

~ A shaft that will provide you with the best results and pair will with the head.

here are some ideal launch numbers, but it would need fine tuned for your swing.

Ball Speed 	Launch Angle 	Back Spin (rpm's)   Carry Distance
170 mph 	11.5-15.5+* 	2000-2400 	    289 yards
160 mph 	12-16+* 	2200-2650 	    271 yards
150 mph 	13-16.5+* 	2300-2800 	    252 yards
140 mph 	14-17+* 	2350-2950 	    233 yards
130 mph 	14.5-17* 	2400-3100 	    215 yards
120 mph 	15-17* 	        2500-3300 	    196 yards

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I think the new drivers offering multiple loft settings are fantastic. I was lucky to win a new R1 in one of Taylormade's recent giveaways. First time I've had an adjustable driver. I initially thought my Titleist 909D3 10.5 with ATTAS T2 shaft would be hard to kick out of the bag but I was wrong. I wasn't fitted, but I went to the range and tried different settings until I found the perfect combination of trajectory and ball flight. 10 degrees upright. I've tightened my dispersion considerably and am hitting the R1 longer. And that is all with the stock Aldila Phenom shaft which is entirely different from the shaft I've been playing. Anyone buying a new driver should try the R1. I'm really impressed with it.

When getting fit for loft I'm not sure you read the post I made in the topic I linked.

Pretty much all drivers have "roll" to the face. This just means from the bottom edge of the face to the crown edge the face rolls backwards and will have different loft at the sole point then the crown point.

If you measure a driver head at the physical center lets say it comes out to 9.3* (my driver has this loft at the physical center). Then you find the physical sweet spot where the Center of Gravity of the club allows it to balance on the back of a pen clamped vertically. Given that almost every driver has a LOW CoG the balance point will be higher then the physical center of the face. Thus the loft at the TRUE sweet spot is MORE then the measured loft in the center of the face. My 9.3* at the center of the face could be something like 11.5* at the sweet spot roughly thanks to the roll of the face.

So what you need for a proper fitting is three main things:

~ Your Angle of Attack (AoA)

~ The measured loft at the true sweet spot (1" to 1.5" high normally on most heads)

~ A shaft that will provide you with the best results and pair will with the head.

here are some ideal launch numbers, but it would need fine tuned for your swing.

Ball Speed 	Launch Angle 	Back Spin (rpm's)   Carry Distance
170 mph 	11.5-15.5+* 	2000-2400 	    289 yards
160 mph 	12-16+* 	2200-2650 	    271 yards
150 mph 	13-16.5+* 	2300-2800 	    252 yards
140 mph 	14-17+* 	2350-2950 	    233 yards
130 mph 	14.5-17* 	2400-3100 	    215 yards
120 mph 	15-17* 	        2500-3300 	    196 yards

I did read that, but thank you for explaining it again...it sunk in this time around.

I'm going to go to Windmill Lakes Training Center here in Ohio and have a Trackman Driver Fitting, it should be an interesting and enlightening experience.

In the bag:

Bag: 

Enjoy that fitting - tell us how it goes!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Enjoy that fitting - tell us how it goes!

Will do!

In the bag:

Bag: 

10.75 with a face that 2* closed at 44" length and D2.5 along with -1/64th grip has been proven to be my sweet spot. Down to 10 or up to 11 can be dealt with, it just alters the numbers a bit.

Of course having those numbers means I very precisely don't use them yet :lol:. In the mean time, the R11 seems to deputize well.

Getting the parts in to finally make it happen though.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I play the R 11 set at 8.5 degrees on the R9 tip. Reason being, I try to keep the ball down a little, since I am a high ball hitter.

I play around with the settings from time to time, just to see if I can get a little better flight on the ball. I haven't been fitted for a driver and don't plan on it, I figure I hit the ball as well as guys half my age, and just as far, so I will take it.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

My TxxxL Superface 2.0 v2 LCG has a marked loft of 8.5 degrees, is actually 9.1 degrees (at most recent measure) and site 3.7 degrees open (again, at last measure). It's shafted currently with a ProjectX PXv 6.0 tipped 1/2" and at 44.5" playing length.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Based on these numbers, supposedly 80% of all amateurs play a driver whose loft is too low for them.

Yet, I'm sure if you asked most amateurs, they would tell you that the have the appropriate loft.

Hell, look at me, lol B)

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

I don't know. Those are launch angles, not driver lofts. Two guys with the same ball speed could end up with very different lofts and kick points in the shafts to get into the optimum window for launch angle. That chart doesn't mention the loft it takes to get there.

Do all of these numbers matter really? If I tee the ball low it will come off at a lower launch angle

Have less back spin. If I tee it hgh it will come off at a higher launch angle, and have more back spin.

So is the loft on the club the issue or something else. I understand why someone who slices or hooks a golf ball regularly would want more loft, but have they tried playing around with ball position, or teeing height.

Someone told me a long time ago that has stuck with me, back spin negates side spin. That's why is easier to play the 3 wood, and hybrids.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I used to play 10.5 with regular off the rack shafts for a while, which gave me a ballooning flight.

Then I changed my shafts around to bring the backspin #s down. Still, I was hitting it a bit higher than

I wanted to. So I traded my 10.5 head to 9.5 head (RAZR FIT). Backspin #s linger around low 2000s (2100 - 2300)

and I love the low penetrating flight. I recently tried Ping I20 which I loved but in that driver, I would

get myself 10.5 loft. Tried all three lofts and (with Black Tie Stiff) 9.5 was a bit lower than my likings. Back spin #s are around 2200 - 2500 rpm and it was the most "gripping" impact that I've felt in a very long time. But I wasn't ready to change my driver since I am very very confident and comfortable with what I can do with my current driver. However, I was extremely impressed with PING driver's performance. I will definitely consider putting PING on my list for next shopping spree....... in 3-4 years.

I believe each driver gives off a bit different flight but for what I have (RAZR FIT, 44.75", 12g Toe, 2g hill, Square Setting, with

Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 Stiff), I am very satisfied with 9.5 loft.

Driver: Callaway RAZR FIT 9.5 with Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 Stiff

Wood: Titleist 910FD 13.5 with Aldila RIP Reg

Hybrids: Ping G10 15 with TFC stiff; Titleist 910H 24 with MR Ahina Stiff

Iron: Nike VR II Pro Combo 5-PW

Wedges: Ping G15 54 degree, Scratch 8620 56 degree, Cleveland Tour Action 900 60 degree low bounce

Putter: Odyssey ProType PT10

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or/and Titleist V1

Glove: Callaway Diablo

Shoes: Adidas Powerband 3.0

I played today with a group of guys that I have not seen in a while so everyone was checking out the other guys sticks. When one guy saw that I had a 10.5 driver he sort of laughed, like he just found out he was more manly than I was, and he proudly displayed his 8.5* driver.

We get to our balls in the fairway on the first hole and he comments about how his 8.5* driver went a good 20 yards past my ball. I said yes it did, but I hit a 15.5* 3 wood. I out drove him all day because mine fits my swing, and his does not fit his swing.

Archived