Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What loft driver do you play and why?

MattF

I played today with a group of guys that I have not seen in a while so everyone was checking out the other guys sticks. When one guy saw that I had a 10.5 driver he sort of laughed, like he just found out he was more manly than I was, and he proudly displayed his 8.5* driver.

We get to our balls in the fairway on the first hole and he comments about how his 8.5* driver went a good 20 yards past my ball. I said yes it did, but I hit a 15.5* 3 wood. I out drove him all day because mine fits my swing, and his does not fit his swing.

ROFLMAO!

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I played today with a group of guys that I have not seen in a while so everyone was checking out the other guys sticks. When one guy saw that I had a 10.5 driver he sort of laughed, like he just found out he was more manly than I was, and he proudly displayed his 8.5* driver.

We get to our balls in the fairway on the first hole and he comments about how his 8.5* driver went a good 20 yards past my ball. I said yes it did, but I hit a 15.5* 3 wood. I out drove him all day because mine fits my swing, and his does not fit his swing.

ROFLMAO!

+1 That's great!!

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

If I tee the ball low it will come off at a lower launch angle

Have less back spin. If I tee it hgh it will come off at a higher launch angle, and have more back spin.

Launch angle is correct on these but I think you have the amount of spin reversed.

Basically I just don't pay attention to the numbers. I am not saying I don't pay attention to what shaft or loft I have. What i am trying to say is that if you play a 10.5 loft and you feel like you are not getting the height you are looking for, try teeing the ball up a little higher, you don't have to change your entire setup to change your launch angle.

Think of it like baseball, if you hit the bottom half of the ball, you will create more back spin, a higher launch angle and higher ball flight. If you hit the middle or top of the ball, you will create less back spin, a lower launch angle, and a lower more penetrating ball flight, I think what we all are looking for is the balance of both. You need a back spin, but you don't want it to balloon, you want to launch it lower for the penetrating ball flight. Just like a home run hitter we need the balance of both, a home run hitter must have back spin on the ball or it won't go out, but too much back spin will balloon the ball, and it becomes a lazy pop fly. It is the same in

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Based on these numbers, supposedly 80% of all amateurs play a driver whose loft is too low for them.Yet, I'm sure if you asked most amateurs, they would tell you that the have the appropriate loft.Hell, look at me, lol B) Fairways & Greens 4ever :mizuno-small:

These are launch angles not driver lofts. The loft on the face measure at physical center will be different then 1" high or center (more loft) or 1" low of center (less loft). The face has roll to it and the amount of roll changes depending on the model / manufacture.

I don't know. Those are launch angles, not driver lofts. Two guys with the same ball speed could end up with very different lofts and kick points in the shafts to get into the optimum window for launch angle. That chart doesn't mention the loft it takes to get there.

Bingo, well said.

Do all of these numbers matter really?

Yes they actually matter a lot, someone in the 170 ball speed range at over 3000rpm of spin will balloon the ball causing them a lot of total distance. If someone with a 150 ball speed has too little spin it will knuckle ball out of the sky robbing distance.

If I tee the ball low it will come off at a lower launch angle Have less back spin. If I tee it hgh it will come off at a higher launch angle, and have more back spin. So is the loft on the club the issue or something else.

It goes into the vertical gear effect on a ball. Anything struck lower the then true sweet spot lunches lower with MORE spin. Anything above the true sweet spot will launch higher with LESS spin. If you are going to miss hit a shot you are probably better off being higher on the face then the true sweet spot then lower for drivers.

I understand why someone who slices or hooks a golf ball regularly would want more loft, but have they tried playing around with ball position, or teeing height. Someone told me a long time ago that has stuck with me, back spin negates side spin. That's why is easier to play the 3 wood, and hybrids.

Whomever told you "backspin negates spidespin" doesn't understand the physics of a golf ball. It's absolutely incorrect, there is only ONE spin on a golf ball and that is backspin. A ball curves when the spin axis is tilted left or right. Only LM list sidespin as a way to relay the spin axis tilt to the machine.

Someone that slices or hooks the ball probably doesn't want more loft given that naturally more loft on the same swing speed creates more spin. I play PW, GW, SW, LW all to the same length so the swing speed should be pretty close on every club full but I get different carry and spin rates due to loft.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Currently playing a 9.5 RBZ with Aldila Rip'd NV. Arrived at this combo through a bunch of trial and error. Not sure what the head's actual loft is but it works for my swing. I used to have(and regret selling) a Callaway Big Bertha "The Deuce" which was a solid off the tee even if it did give up a few yards but as my swing speed crept up it started to balloon on me.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

Whomever told you "backspin negates spidespin" doesn't understand the physics of a golf ball. It's absolutely incorrect, there is only ONE spin on a golf ball and that is backspin. A ball curves when the spin axis is tilted left or right. Only LM list sidespin as a way to relay the spin axis tilt to it.

I believe I heard that on the Golf Channel, it was on playing lessons with the pros a few years back. I would think that a touring pro would know a little bit about the stuff. Referring to the "back spin negates spin."

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I've been fitted for 9.5, 10.5, 11.5 and 12.5 degree drivers.

I currently game both a 9.5 and a 12.5 degree driver depending upon the day and the track.

I was custom fit for both of these drivers, and I hit them both within about 5 to 10 yards of each other.

I game the one I'm most comfortable with that day (or I'll carry both and game the one I'm most comfortable with on the specific hole)

One has a shorter shaft and I feel like I have more control and can more likely put that one in play more consistently and if the track or hole is tighter.

I played the first round of the year, today. I had my 913 set at 10* and used the RIP Phenom shaft. I averaged around 255 yds. I kept 11 of 12 driving holes in the fairway.

Next time out I'm going to set it for 9.25 *. I also have the original RIP 60 shaft, which I love. I will try that in the next few rounds to see if I like the Phenom over it. So far, I'm really liking the Phenom.

Archived