Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Mizuno Shaft Optimizer (VIDEO)

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Definitely curious to check this system out. My irons fittings were done by basically eyeballing ball flight and tempo. I'd love to see what the technology says.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I have an appointment to get fitted with one the 14th with the Mizuno rep... I'll be sure to report back...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

We have this system at the shop, and everybody that I have put on it has been fit spot on. I covered this in another thread, but I currently play 6.5 project x, and the Shaft Optimizer put me into KBS tour X soft stepped, or 6.0 project x, or S300. I know that my current shafts are a bit too stiff, but had never liked the KBS. Now I have ordered them in my Adams irons. The thing is smarter than me...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I'm going to be seeking out a Mizuno demo day very hard so that I can get on this. I really like my KBS Tour's, but I'd love to have this kind of confirmation that I'm playing the right shaft.

Let me know when you find one - I would love to check this out. Currently swinging DG-S300 in my irons.

I need to find someone with one, should Golf Galaxy's have these?

I know the Golf Galaxy by me has one...

You can check here to see when the store near you is having a "Fitting Day"

http://www.golfgalaxy.com/galaxy/dept.asp?dept_id=207

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

It is a really cool system, probably the best innovation in fitting in a long time. I went through it myself and it came out to the shafts that I am using (KBS 6.5 soft stepped).

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

Since I'm new to the whole changing shafts thing... about how much does it cost to have a set of irons re-shafted?

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

They have the system set up at the Schaumburg GG, I think I'm going to head over there and check it out.

Sweet as soon as my foot heals I will have to go check it out!

Since I'm new to the whole changing shafts thing... about how much does it cost to have a set of irons re-shafted?

It depends on where you're doing it at, but lets assume Golfsmith (personally I would not go there)

Price includes old shaft removal, new shaft & grip installation.

$19.99 per iron (discount on 6+ irons of 20%)

So figure in the cost of the shaft (say $25) and the grip (say $8) you are looking at $50 per iron or thereabouts. Plus an additional cost if you want the shafts PUREd or anything like that.

It depends on the shafts.. We charge anywhere from $15 to $30per club + grip for TT shafts. PJX and KBS could be more...

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Sweet as soon as my foot heals I will have to go check it out!

It depends on where you're doing it at, but lets assume Golfsmith (personally I would not go there)

Price includes old shaft removal, new shaft & grip installation.

$19.99 per iron (discount on 6+ irons of 20%)

So figure in the cost of the shaft (say $25) and the grip (say $8) you are looking at $50 per iron or thereabouts. Plus an additional cost if you want the shafts PUREd or anything like that.

Thanks for the breakdown... Thats about what I expected...

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

It depends on the shafts.. We charge anywhere from $15 to $30per club + grip for TT shafts. PJX and KBS could be more...

Thanks...

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Thanks...

anytime sir....Just be sure that the guy doing the work knows what he is doing...

anytime sir....Just be sure that the guy doing the work knows what he is doing...

A prime reason that I do my own club work. I've had one head fly off a club that someone else built, and that's one too many in my book. Never had that problem on one that I built.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

A prime reason that I do my own club work. I've had one head fly off a club that someone else built, and that's one too many in my book. Never had that problem on one that I built.

I used to do all my own, but I trust my on staff club builder. He has been doing it every day for 22 years.... He could be a smidge better than me...

• SPY VIP

I stopped by Northway 8 Golf this afternoon on my way home from work. For those of you anywhere near Albany, NY it's far and away the best pro shop (and driving range) in the area. Anyway, they were kind enough to run me through the Mizuno shaft optimizer even though I had no intention of buying anything (I'll be reviewing a set of irons shortly and wanted to make sure I ask for the best fit possible).

I play Project X 5.5 shafts now. I played 6.0 shafts before those. I wouldn't want to guess which is a better fit since my swing has come a long way since I switched to the softer shaft. Anyway, my numbers were absolutely identical on every swing (score one for consistency I suppose). The analyzer spit back the following:

KBS Tour X-flex (soft stepped)

Project X 6.0

Dynamic Gold X-100 (soft stepped)

I've never tried soft stepping, so if nothing else, this could be interesting.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

I stopped by Northway 8 Golf this afternoon on my way home from work. For those of you anywhere near Albany, NY it's far and away the best pro shop (and driving range) in the area. Anyway, they were kind enough to run me through the Mizuno shaft optimizer even though I had no intention of buying anything (I'll be reviewing a set of irons shortly and wanted to make sure I ask for the best fit possible).

I play Project X 5.5 shafts now. I played 6.0 shafts before those. I wouldn't want to guess which is a better fit since my swing has come a long way since I switched to the softer shaft. Anyway, my numbers were absolutely identical on every swing (score one for consistency I suppose). The analyzer spit back the following:

KBS Tour X-flex (soft stepped)

Project X 6.0

Dynamic Gold X-100 (soft stepped)

I've never tried soft stepping, so if nothing else, this could be interesting.

Were your #'s something like 91 6 4 5 6 ??

• SPY VIP

Were your #'s something like 91 6 4 5 6 ??

You'd think I would have had the good sense to right that down. I know the swing speed was 90 (90 and "go" look almost identical on the unit so that was causing confusion).

I think the numbers were 5 4 5 5, but they could have been 6 4 5 5 or 5 4 5 6. Damn...should have put that in my phone along with the shaft choices.

I went through this today and thought it was pretty darned cool. My numbers were:

82 4 4 8

Their #3 recommendation was KBS Tour Stiff softstepped which is what I play now (minus the softstepping). #2 was Nippon 950 stiff and #1 was Dynalite Gold XP stiff soft stepped. This seems right on point, because I feel like the KBS are a touch stiff since I have a medium tempo and don't go after the ball very hard. I'm very impressed with the system...now I just need to decide if I want to make the change.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

You'd think I would have had the good sense to right that down. I know the swing speed was 90 (90 and "go" look almost identical on the unit so that was causing confusion).

I think the numbers were 5 4 5 5, but they could have been 6 4 5 5 or 5 4 5 6. Damn...should have put that in my phone along with the shaft choices.

I wasn't too far off though....

Archived