TESTERS WANTED! ×

My Driver Fitting Experience

SoonerChris

I you know from a previous post I went for a driver fitting yesterday. Let me tell you, I haven't played much golf this season yet and I am sore today from hitting a TON on balls.

Here's my take on the fitting. (This is the first actual fitting I have ever done).

Started out by hitting around 30 balls from wedge all the way to driver outside to get warmed up.

Moved inside on to the aboutGolf ISU with all the bells and whistles. Balance, high speed cameras, etc.

Note: Throughout this entire process I was averaging between 102 - 108 MPH swing speed. As well, we were looking for a launch around 8 - 10* as I live in Oklahoma and it's normally REALLY dry on the courses I play.

Started out by hitting my driver R11 ATTAS elements MK 7X @ 8*) to get a baseline. I don't remember the numbers but they were fairly good for a two year old driver. If I remember correctly, ball speed was about 5 MPH lower than the driver I picked out.....you will have to read the rest to find out what that is.

First up, R1 with RIP Phenom in S set at 9.5* I believe.

To be honest, the new crown graphics really didn't bother me. It has a nice setup and looked good. But.....here's where the interesting stuff started to be known. I was spinning this thing like crazy. Like 4500 RPM if I remember correctly. I won't go any further with this one as we changed shafts.

R1 with 7M3 in S set down to 8.5*.

Shaft felt much better. Not as harsh but was still spinning and launching too high. I wanted to like this shaft as I have hit Matrix shafts before and really liked them.

Next,

R1 with Speeder VC 7.0 in stiff, still at 8.5*

Now we are getting somewhere. Still less harsh than the 7M3. I liked this shaft but spin was somewhere around 4500 RPM. Time to try the Titleist.

Titleist 913D3. Let me first say I have never owned a Titliest driver and the thought had never crossed my mind to own one. At this point my fitter said, "man, you are a HIGH spin/high launch player."

913D3 with Speeder 7.1 VC in stiff, 7.5 cranked to 6.75* @ 45"

Where have you been all my life. Absolutely loved this combo. Average of 105 MPH swing, 155 - 160 MPH ball speed, 10* launch, and under 2500 RPM backspin consistently with most around 2000 RPM. No harshness in this shaft. I could swing smooth or go after it and it didn't matter. They were all right down the middle.

913D3 with OBAN Devotion 7 in S @ 45.5"

I really liked this combo as well. Unfortunately they didn't have an X and the S was a little soft for me. Number on this were consistently 2 - 4 MPH slower on ball speed.

What's interesting about the Devotion vs. the Speeder is the Speeder was 2 - 4 MPH better ball speed consistently with a 1/2 inch shorter club.

All the hipe I had read about the Razr Fit Xterme I had to hit it.

RFE with 7M3 in S, 8.5* @ 46"

To be honest I thought this was going to feel great but compared to the 913 it just didn't. Granted I did get some out there with the Speeder combo but I had a tendency to balloon it sometimes. As well, the 7M3 was the only shaft they had other than the Trinity which we had already ruled out.

ON TO THE TRACKMAN OUTSIDE TO VERIFY

913D3 w/ Speeder

Consistantly low penetrating ballflight with a little draw. Again, smooth swing, going after it, it didn't matter. I bet I could lay a trashcan cover over these. 158 MPH ball speed average/2000 RPM spin/10* launch/average 270 yards into a 20 MPH wind.

RFE w/ 7M3

I hit some really good balls with this as well but I had a tendency to balloon again. And I most definitely didn't have as good as dispersion as with the 913. As well @ 46" ball speeds were still 2 - 3 slower than the Speeder @ 45".

Fitting over, going with the 913D3 7.5* w/ Fujikura Speeder Motore 7.1 VC-S.

Fast forward to today.

Looking in the current 2013 Custom Club Option book I don't see the Fuji Speeder 7.1 VC that I picked but I see it's still a current on Fuji's site so I assume it's still a current shaft. So I first have to find out about that.

As well, I see based on the Driver and Fairway Comparison chart that there are a couple lower spinning/launching shafts that the fitter didn't have. So....working to see if they can get them for me to try. I would like to have more combinations that cranking a 7.5* down as far as it will go to get optimal results. Here's the list that I hope they can get for me to try.

Fuji Speeder Motore 7.2 in S

Fuji Speeder Motore 7.2 Tour Spec in S

OBAN Devotion 7 in 05 flex

OBAN Kiyoshi Black

So I'm at a crossroads. IF, and I say IF, I can get the Speeder 7.1 VC I have to decide if I want to get it with the assumption that I have 1 option with the SureFit Tour Hosel. Or, if they can get the other shafts, I go back and hit the above shaft so I could work with more combos by not having to crank it down to 6.75*.

Decision, decision......

Thanks for reading.

P.S. As I finished this I just got a email from my fitter. To quote him directly,

"We have a baseline for what works for you but I'd like to explore some other options if I can get those. I'm not convinced by your launch numbers on the track man, ball speed was correct but your launch and spin sometimes didn't read correctly. I'm going to get the track man looked into and calibrated (they can do it from Denmark). Ball speed did jump with the softer shaft, we just have to find the right softness without increasing launch/spin, that's the dilemma. "

P.P.S So I went ahead and ordered the Speeder 7.2 tour spec with the 8.5*. Of course the shaft is on back order, early April delivery...

I you know from a previous post I went for a driver fitting yesterday. Let me tell you, I haven't played much golf this season yet and I am sore today from hitting a TON on balls.

Here's my take on the fitting. (This is the first actual fitting I have ever done).

Started out by hitting around 30 balls from wedge all the way to driver outside to get warmed up.

Moved inside on to the aboutGolf ISU with all the bells and whistles. Balance, high speed cameras, etc.

Note: Throughout this entire process I was averaging between 102 - 108 MPH swing speed. As well, we were looking for a launch around 8 - 10* as I live in Oklahoma and it's normally REALLY dry on the courses I play.

Started out by hitting my driver R11 ATTAS elements MK 7X @ 8*) to get a baseline. I don't remember the numbers but they were fairly good for a two year old driver. If I remember correctly, ball speed was about 5 MPH lower than the driver I picked out.....you will have to read the rest to find out what that is.

First up, R1 with RIP Phenom in S set at 9.5* I believe.

To be honest, the new crown graphics really didn't bother me. It has a nice setup and looked good. But.....here's where the interesting stuff started to be known. I was spinning this thing like crazy. Like 4500 RPM if I remember correctly. I won't go any further with this one as we changed shafts.

R1 with 7M3 in S set down to 8.5*.

Shaft felt much better. Not as harsh but was still spinning and launching too high. I wanted to like this shaft as I have hit Matrix shafts before and really liked them.

Next,

R1 with Speeder VC 7.0 in stiff, still at 8.5*

Now we are getting somewhere. Still less harsh than the 7M3. I liked this shaft but spin was somewhere around 4500 RPM. Time to try the Titleist.

Titleist 913D3. Let me first say I have never owned a Titliest driver and the thought had never crossed my mind to own one. At this point my fitter said, "man, you are a HIGH spin/high launch player."

913D3 with Speeder 7.1 VC in stiff, 7.5 cranked to 6.75* @ 45"

Where have you been all my life. Absolutely loved this combo. Average of 105 MPH swing, 155 - 160 MPH ball speed, 10* launch, and under 2500 RPM backspin consistently with most around 2000 RPM. No harshness in this shaft. I could swing smooth or go after it and it didn't matter. They were all right down the middle.

913D3 with OBAN Devotion 7 in S @ 45.5"

I really liked this combo as well. Unfortunately they didn't have an X and the S was a little soft for me. Number on this were consistently 2 - 4 MPH slower on ball speed.

What's interesting about the Devotion vs. the Speeder is the Speeder was 2 - 4 MPH better ball speed consistently with a 1/2 inch shorter club.

All the hipe I had read about the Razr Fit Xterme I had to hit it.

RFE with 7M3 in S, 8.5* @ 46"

To be honest I thought this was going to feel great but compared to the 913 it just didn't. Granted I did get some out there with the Speeder combo but I had a tendency to balloon it sometimes. As well, the 7M3 was the only shaft they had other than the Trinity which we had already ruled out.

ON TO THE TRACKMAN OUTSIDE TO VERIFY

913D3 w/ Speeder

Consistantly low penetrating ballflight with a little draw. Again, smooth swing, going after it, it didn't matter. I bet I could lay a trashcan cover over these. 158 MPH ball speed average/2000 RPM spin/10* launch/average 270 yards into a 20 MPH wind.

RFE w/ 7M3

I hit some really good balls with this as well but I had a tendency to balloon again. And I most definitely didn't have as good as dispersion as with the 913. As well @ 46" ball speeds were still 2 - 3 slower than the Speeder @ 45".

Fitting over, going with the 913D3 7.5* w/ Fujikura Speeder Motore 7.1 VC-S.

Fast forward to today.

Looking in the current 2013 Custom Club Option book I don't see the Fuji Speeder 7.1 VC that I picked but I see it's still a current on Fuji's site so I assume it's still a current shaft. So I first have to find out about that.

As well, I see based on the Driver and Fairway Comparison chart that there are a couple lower spinning/launching shafts that the fitter didn't have. So....working to see if they can get them for me to try. I would like to have more combinations that cranking a 7.5* down as far as it will go to get optimal results. Here's the list that I hope they can get for me to try.

Fuji Speeder Motore 7.2 in S

Fuji Speeder Motore 7.2 Tour Spec in S

OBAN Devotion 7 in 05 flex

OBAN Kiyoshi Black

So I'm at a crossroads. IF, and I say IF, I can get the Speeder 7.1 VC I have to decide if I want to get it with the assumption that I have 1 option with the SureFit Tour Hosel. Or, if they can get the other shafts, I go back and hit the above shaft so I could work with more combos by not having to crank it down to 6.75*.

Decision, decision......

Thanks for reading.

P.S. As I finished this I just got a email from my fitter. To quote him directly,

"We have a baseline for what works for you but I'd like to explore some other options if I can get those. I'm not convinced by your launch numbers on the track man, ball speed was correct but your launch and spin sometimes didn't read correctly. I'm going to get the track man looked into and calibrated (they can do it from Denmark). Ball speed did jump with the softer shaft, we just have to find the right softness without increasing launch/spin, that's the dilemma. "

P.P.S So I went ahead and ordered the Speeder 7.2 tour spec with the 8.5*. Of course the shaft is on back order, early April delivery...

Nice right up but I am curious. you made the decision on the 7.2 tour spec and higher loft without hitting it? is your fitter that good that he knew it would be a perfect match? the kyoshi is a beast of a shaft but if you are looking for kick I am not sure it will give it. haven't tried the others. just curious.

Nice right up but I am curious. you made the decision on the 7.2 tour spec and higher loft without hitting it? is your fitter that good that he knew it would be a perfect match? the kyoshi is a beast of a shaft but if you are looking for kick I am not sure it will give it. haven't tried the others. just curious.

I will have the chance to verify numbers before purchase but from everything I have read and his consultation with the master club fitter on property they think it will be the correct match.

Archived