TESTERS WANTED! ×

Home golf simulator

I was wondering if any one has any experiences with home golf simulators. I have been looking at the optishot, p3 pro and the unex. I would like to hear about experience with these devices or any thing similar.

Thanks

Eric

Hi Eric, Welcome to the site. I know that Skihippy started a thread asking about the Optishot vs the P3, and there were a few responses from guys that had used both, link HERE

Also, our manbearpig started a thread re setting up a hitting cage and there was a bunch of responses on there - Blade has a cage set up with the Optishot, so he may be able to give you a bit more of a run-down, link to MBP's thread HERE

I don't have any experience with them personally, but these threads might get you on the right track anyway.

All the best

Brad

Eric,

I only know of one site that has a section devoted to Home Simulators (although if anyone here is interested in starting one, I'll be glad to volunteer to help moderate - lol).

I wouldn't post a link here that leads to another golf forum, except in this case I don't know of any other site that has this kind of information.

I setup an GC2 based indoor simulator this winter after spending a lot of time reading and asking questions at http://forum.ottawagolf.com/forumdisplay.php?104-Home-Simulators

I haven't personally used any of the 3 sims you're asking about, but there are discussions on all launch monitors and simulator ongoing at the link.

To keep this discussion going on here, let me ask you what your budget is and what are the most important features you're looking for in a simulator?

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Eric,

I only know of one site that has a section devoted to Home Simulators (although if anyone here is interested in starting one, I'll be glad to volunteer to help moderate - lol).

I wouldn't post a link here that leads to another golf forum, except in this case I don't know of any other site that has this kind of information.

I setup an GC2 based indoor simulator this winter after spending a lot of time reading and asking questions at http://forum.ottawagolf.com/forumdisplay.php?104-Home-Simulators

I haven't personally used any of the 3 sims you're asking about, but there are discussions on all launch monitors and simulator ongoing at the link.

To keep this discussion going on here, let me ask you what your budget is and what are the most important features you're looking for in a simulator?

+1 for ottawa golf. I've mentioned them here before and they are the best you'll find for simulator questions.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I think it's really the ONLY forum of any kind that has a dedicated Home Simulator section. I know I had spend a few months trying to get some solid information and reviews for simulators before I found it.

On the other hand, that's really the only section of that site I've ever spent any time reading and posting at, for everything else I come here :lol:

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

How much do those run? Not 16k like a Trackman, right?

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

How much do those run? Not 16k like a Trackman, right?

Closer to $6700 new, but I was VERY fortunate than an indoor golf business closed up shop last year and was able to purchase the GC2 plus protective case, projector, computer, Range/Fitting software + 5 courses as a package that was less than the cost of the unit. There's a company that's produced software for the GC2 that I've seen "bundled" with it, instead of the Foresight licensed Red Chain software, that's less expensive but more entertainment oriented. Creative Golf 3D (CG3) Entertainment Software.

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

• 1 month later...

The GC2 is the way to go if you have the money. I was saving up to get one until amazon had a special on the Optishot for around $225 and couldn't pass it up to give it a shot. For the money its very good. Its never going to be as good as the GC2 or some of the other high dollar ones, but for $225 its hard to beat. It was just before Christmas last year when I got it. Maybe they will run the same special later this year. I still hope to get the GC2 someday.

• 11 months later...

The GC2 is the way to go if you have the money. I was saving up to get one until amazon had a special on the Optishot for around $225 and couldn't pass it up to give it a shot. For the money its very good. Its never going to be as good as the GC2 or some of the other high dollar ones, but for $225 its hard to beat. It was just before Christmas last year when I got it. Maybe they will run the same special later this year. I still hope to get the GC2 someday.

Totally agree...Just did a post on my Optishot experience. 

I think any simulator is about understanding the limitations and living with them.

Optishot is $400 or whatever you purchase it for on special. With that you need to accept that it isn't going to give you trackman data. 

Moving up to more expensive simulators will give you better numbers, but they still are limited in some form.

With Optishot, I know it doesn't do a great job with drivers (especially dark drivers and seems to have issues with size). I don't use my driver on Optishot for that reason. 

I also don't like to putt on any simulator since you are putting on a flat surface and the simulated green isn't flat. Distance is impossible to judge since you have no depth perception. I think you can actually hurt your putting on a simulator more then helping it.

By the way....One critical component for Optishot to work well is the lighting. Make sure you have that setup correctly or your results will not be consistent.

Currently gaming...

TM RBZ Tour 9 degree

Titleist 913FD 3 wood

TM Rescue 19 degree

Titleist 913 24 degree

Mizuno MP-54 5-PW

Titleist SM5 50, 54, 58

Scotty Select Newport 2

• 2 years later...

That Trugolf sim is pretty nice. Initially I was about to order the el cheapo model that's $9 grand but then decided... what the heck. I'll get the Vista 12. It's only $10 thousand more. Let me know when you guys get yours.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• 2 weeks later...

I've had experience with a few different simulators, and had one set up at my own indoor studio a few years ago.  The one I used was from GSA

The GSA simulator I used only involved the sensor pad...they were still working on tracking cameras at the time.  The sensor pad worked pretty well once you had the lighting set up properly.  It produced great information regarding club speed, swing path, face angle, etc.  I put the link in this post as I don't think many people are familar with them.  

An instructor friend of mine used the About Golf simulator and that was very cool, but also very expensive.

I taught at an indoor tennis club where the owner purchased a used Full Swing Golf simulator.  It worked ok, but given that it was probably ten years old, I'll have to give it a pass on its mediocre performance at the time.  

I've also checked out the Optishot 2 and P3ProSwing and both have their pros and cons as well.  

Bottom line is that you will get what you pay for.  If you just want to have a little fun at home and don't have a ton of room, then just get the Optishot.  If you want to also work on full swing at home, then you need to at least step up to the P3ProSwing.  If you have $60K or more to spend, then any of the big name brands will fit the bill!  

Scott

Archived