Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

3 of My Favorites from the 2013 PGA Show

Tony Covey MGS

• SPY VIP

Small companies, and great finds are the heart of the PGA Show. Let's ignore Nike, Callaway, TaylorMade, and all the other big guys for just a minute to celebrate the little guy.

I wanted to share with you 3 of my favorite little things from the PGA show. With the exception of the Vibram shoes, these are inexpensive items that for one reason or another I like.

Flex-Head G2 Golf Tee

Visit Site

Indestructible. Guaranteed for life. Available in 6 different heights. I'm either a tee it up high, or stick it as close to the ground as I can guy, so I've only used the 2" and .5". They're slightly more expensive than your average golf tee, but if you break one, the company will replace it for free. This looks to be my tee for 2013.

PGA Show Finds -1.jpg

PGA Show Finds -2.jpg

PGA Show Finds -3.jpg

Vibram Speed XC Lite Shoes

Visit Site

I wear Vibram all summer long except when I'm on the golf course (and may pick up another pair or two this summer). They're simply awesome. The slightly studded XC Lite offers a bit more traction than the average Vibram. It's a beginning right? Give the tremendous response at the PGA Show, I expect we'll see a full-blown golf shoe by season's end.

PGA Show Finds -4.jpg

PGA Show Finds -5.jpg

PGA Show Finds -6.jpg

Real Steak Jerky

Visit Site

Billed as the best beef jerky in this country; based on my taste test at the PGA Show, I'm inclined to agree. Tender, juicy, and totally freakin' delicious. True story...passed the booth in a hurry on my way to an interview. Took me 20 minutes to find it again, but it was totally worth it. I didn't take any pictures of the product (I was too busy eating it), so you'll have to settle for these screen grabs and photos from elsewhere. Seriously...if you love beef jerky, order this...NOW!

PGA Show Finds-0.jpg

PGA Show Finds-1.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

The vibrams are awesome. All the people on the forum love the true linkswears and this is the next step. I think if they make golf shoes the will definitely be the next big thing.

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

I HATE the true links wear shoes- had a pair two or three years ago? It was like I was walking uphill all the time. For some reason the pair I had, idk if all are this way, but the pair I had placed me back on my heels at all times. I definitely did not like them at all! Are they still designed that way or have the changed it? They were okay for walking but I hated hitting balls in them because of where they forced my weight at address.

Again on the five toes- I hope they're crazy comfortable because they're more gay looking than crocs! By using the term gay I'm not saying homosexual but gay as in gay- out there, wacky, nerdy, etc.

I HATE the true links wear shoes- had a pair two or three years ago? It was like I was walking uphill all the time. For some reason the pair I had, idk if all are this way, but the pair I had placed me back on my heels at all times. I definitely did not like them at all! Are they still designed that way or have the changed it? They were okay for walking but I hated hitting balls in them because of where they forced my weight at address.

I got a pair of the Vibram 5-Fingers for Christmas, REALLY wanted to like them but they were the most uncomfortable things I'd ever put on my feet, I had to send them back.

I'm a huge fan of True Linkswear, and part of the reason I like them is BECAUSE of how they reposition my weight. It is a much more natural, neutral, and balanced position and very much more connected to the ground. Now, going back to my old "heeled" shoes I feel like I'm too tall and leaned way forward trying not to fall over during the swing! I do remember noticing the difference in the Trues when I first put them on, but for me it was a very positive change that took no time at all to get used to.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Again on the five toes- I hope they're crazy comfortable because they're more gay looking than crocs! By using the term gay I'm not saying homosexual but gay as in gay- out there, wacky, nerdy, etc.

It's not that TRUEs are funny, it's that every other shoe you've ever worn is. True's have very little (maybe zero?) heel rise, so it's like standing barefoot. Every other shoe elevates your heel.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I see what you guys are saying. So why the change now? I don't think true will be able to convince every shoe manufacturer that they've been doing it incorrectly for a hundred plus years... I don't feel like I'm walking uphill when I'm walking barefoot though - lol - are you sure the toe isn't raised a hair???

Back in the 1970's I had a pair of Earthshoe hiking boots......Once I got used to them they were terrific!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I see what you guys are saying. So why the change now? I don't think true will be able to convince every shoe manufacturer that they've been doing it incorrectly for a hundred plus years... I don't feel like I'm walking uphill when I'm walking barefoot though - lol - are you sure the toe isn't raised a hair???

I don't think the toe is raised but I'm open to being wrong. I think it may be different expectations barefoot vs. shoed.

If you don't think true can convince the other companies look at the shoe rack: Adidas barefoot, Nike free tws, Ecco bioms, etc.

Barefoot shoes like True and Vivo are "zero drop". Not raised in toe, heel or anywhere else. Flat sole, just a few mm thick. If you feel there's something wrong with the balance when wearing barefoot it's you, not the shoes.

Vibrams are cool :)

Do they make the Vibrams without the "glove" toe? I like the overall concept of them....but the individual toe holes is a no-go!!!

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Good point Matt! Every company is now making spikeless, and there are talks off more minimalist style shoes. Maybe my balance is f-d up and ive been the problem! Wouldn't be a first!

So you guys were saying there is a bit of a break-in period with these style shoes? Meaning it takes some getting used to but eventually goes away? I wore the trues but probably not enough.

Ive been on this health kick for awhile and I'm planning on walking most of my rounds of golf this year for the first time since college so I'm all for something that's better for me.

I too wish they made some without the five toe slots.

Good point Matt! Every company is now making spikeless, and there are talks off more minimalist style shoes. Maybe my balance is f-d up and ive been the problem! Wouldn't be a first!

So you guys were saying there is a bit of a break-in period with these style shoes? Meaning it takes some getting used to but eventually goes away? I wore the trues but probably not enough.

Ive been on this health kick for awhile and I'm planning on walking most of my rounds of golf this year for the first time since college so I'm all for something that's better for me.

I too wish they made some without the five toe slots.

I wouldn't blame your balance, just a long time being conditioned to wearing something different.

There's definitely a break-in period for your body, particularly the muscles in your feet and legs, to adjust. With runners, I think they say you shouldn't do more than 10% of your mileage in barefoot shoes for the first week or so. Not sure how that translates to golf other than "take it easy,." :)

Overall, I really like minimalist shoes, but I don't know that they are necessarily "better" for everyone. I actually saw an article (don't remember what or where) about runners developing different kinds of injuries from barefoot shoes. As with so many things (instruction, club fitting), it's probably best to get individualized advice from a doctor or trainer.

I have a pair of the origional true tours and a pair of the stealths. I actually think the old sole is more comfortable tha the new sole. I hope they fixed that with the ninja outsole. I also recently tried on a pair of the sensei's. They might be the most comfortable shoe I have ever put on. If I wasn't broke I would have already bought them. All I know is that before I wore trues I never had a pair of golf shoes that didn't hurt my feet after a round. I have always walked the majority of my rounds and I'm fat so they have been a small scale miracle for me.

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

Do they make the Vibrams without the "glove" toe? I like the overall concept of them....but the individual toe holes is a no-go!!!

Yep, I'm the same BK - overall they look comfortable and I like some of the minimalist shoes but I don't know if I could get away with toe pockets in my shoes. Probably the only time I'd consider the 5-toe vibrams would be for rock-hopping on the coast.

I have 2 pairs of vibrams I wear for working out, really like them for that. I'd give em a shot.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

T,

Are you using or have you used the Flex Tee's?

I usually use the Friction Tee's because they are pretty tough, but I might give the Flex Tee's a shot.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

• SPY VIP

T,

Are you using or have you used the Flex Tee's?

I usually use the Friction Tee's because they are pretty tough, but I might give the Flex Tee's a shot.

I used the Flex Tee for a couple of rounds down in Florida after the PGA Show. I like it quite a bit. I do wish they made a taller one for guys who like to tee it really hight. Also, the smallest height version is definitely taller thanI would play with an iron (I generally tee iron shots very low). That said, while it's also taller than what I normally play with a hybrid or fairway off the tee, I tried it out for hybrid tee shots and the results, as Matt would likely attest, were really good, so I'm probably going to stick with it for that as well.

Apart from that taller size I mentioned, I personally only use the tallest (blue) and the shortest (yellow).

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

I used the Flex Tee for a couple of rounds down in Florida after the PGA Show. I like it quite a bit. I do wish they made a taller one for guys who like to tee it really hight. Also, the smallest height version is definitely taller thanI would play with an iron (I generally tee iron shots very low). That said, while it's also taller than what I normally play with a hybrid or fairway off the tee, I tried it out for hybrid tee shots and the results, as Matt would likely attest, were really good, so I'm probably going to stick with it for that as well.

Apart from that taller size I mentioned, I personally only use the tallest (blue) and the shortest (yellow).

Thanks for the reply...exactly what I was looking for.

I think I'll get the "trial" pack and see what I like the best and then get the "custom" pack.

Matt

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

• SPY VIP

Thanks for the reply...exactly what I was looking for.

I think I'll get the "trial" pack and see what I like the best and then get the "custom" pack.

Matt

Definitely worth a try. I may also pick up the driving range mat version for some of testing (although what we use now is pretty solid...and adjustable).

All of that said, I want everyone to hear me on this:

TRY THE DAMNED BEEF JERKY.

Definitely worth a try. I may also pick up the driving range mat version for some of testing (although what we use now is pretty solid...and adjustable).

All of that said, I want everyone to hear me on this:

TRY THE DAMNED BEEF JERKY.

I don't see a driving mat version on their site. I can insert a tee in my my in my garage, so I just cut one of my normal tees down and use that.

I will try the jerky!

In the bag:

Bag: 

Archived