TESTERS WANTED! ×

Why do you play golf?

GolfSpy_X

First, it interested me. Now I am obsessing on getting better... Besides, it keeps me healthy. And a nice tan.

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

• SPY VIP

Plenty of vitamin D for sure...even with the ankle tan lines.

First, it interested me. Now I am obsessing on getting better... Besides, it keeps me healthy. And a nice tan.

#TruthDigest

I brag about my ankle tan lines. My feet are close to being able to glow in the dark...

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

Golf allows me to have "my time" away from work and family ... i.e., "sanity" check. Much better than having a mistress, if you think about it.

Then again, every now and then I have the need to fulfill "insane" equipment buying urges. I just rationalize this as "youthful" impulses ... something else that helps keep me sane.

I played hockey and wrecked my knees (five surgeries between the two) and my surgeons had a big pow wow about me and gave me the news I was finished. But, they told me they knew where I could now go. Being a smart keaster (at that time) I told them the bar as there is always room at the bar for an x-hockey player lol. They said no, go to the golf course and play golf as you will find x-competitive people like yourself.

I've been totally mesmerized and hooked ever since.

The real kicker in this little saga as my brothers and myself were growing up we were fortunate that our family belonged to two golf clubs and Dad wanted us to join as juniors.We thought golf was for older people and sissies so we were not interested (shaking my head).

• SPY VIP

Maybe it's a yin/yang thing. I need the frustration golf provides to balance my general happiness.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I enjoy the challenge of me against the golf course.

I'd rather be outdoors than indoors.

I'm old and retired and it's something to do.

I belong to an equity club. If I quit the game who's going to buy my membership in this economy?

I love the game.

Semper Fi

My Club

I love the never ending quest for improvement, I love that I will be able to play it the rest of my life, I love that I am skilled at it, and I love the good people and opportunities that I have found due to golf.

And that farmers tan doesn't hurt.

Golf for me is different I think than a lot of folks. Yes, I love the game, I love trying to play good and get better, but for me, it's time with my friends. Being married with kids now, we all have a lot less time together than we used to, so the golf course or a golf trip, is where we relax, and let our hair down(or what's left of it). I would rather play a round of golf with my friends, than with strangers. I look forward to our annual golf trips all year.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

This says it all...

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Few reasons…

1: I'm no good at it - I am an extremely competitive person and when I excel at something (be it CCGs, Bowling, Disc Golf, etc…) I tend to suck ALL the fun out of an activity as I strive to push myself harder and harder and turn the activity into a 'job' of sorts. I'm no good at golf so I can actually still find fun in it.

2: It's peaceful. I can relax, enjoy nature, the occasional amazing shot and unwind after a long stressful week.

I started because my Father and my brother both play, and I wanted to be able to go out and play with them... now it's a regular Sunday morning thing... Definitely a nice way to spend time with my family away from my family (wife and son)

Plus I love nature, and to me there is nothing better than being on a golf course alone with no one in front of me or behind me and just taking my time and relaxing...

I could care less about my score, but I would like to get better...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

I hear ya John :lol:

Golf for me is different I think than a lot of folks. Yes, I love the game, I love trying to play good and get better, but for me, it's time with my friends. Being married with kids now, we all have a lot less time together than we used to, so the golf course or a golf trip, is where we relax, and let our hair down(or what's left of it). I would rather play a round of golf with my friends, than with strangers. I look forward to our annual golf trips all year.

#TruthDigest

-- the challenge of doing my best and reaching my potential

-- get outdoors

-- the exercise when walking and carrying

-- the competition

-- the camaraderie

-- a break from the daily grind of life

There are a lot of reasons why I play golf, and that's why I love the game:

I can play golf by myself and enjoy the challenge of trying to beat the course.

I can play golf with my wife, my dad, my brother, my friends and enjoy the company.

I play golf to enjoy being outside.

I can play golf with a stranger and end up with a friend.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

I play golf because I will never master it. It represents the greatest puzzle that I can attempt. I love the idea that I can work on it for the next 40 years or so and enjoy the process more than the outcome.

Overall it is calming and soothing, although sometimes punctuated with loud profanity and a seven iron being buried in earth to the grip.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

There is always something you could do better. Nobody has that "Perfect" round... Always something more out there.

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

I play because Golf is hard. It will always be hard, no matter how much or how little I practice. I enjoy trying to pull off the difficult shot, even though the smart play is tho lay up. I enjoy being outside on a mown field of grass. I like spending time with golfers (see job). And there is only one thing better in the world than watching the sun set into the Pacific Ocean from the 4th tee at Pacific Dunes with 3 really good buddies after a 39 hole marathon......

Plenty of vitamin D for sure...even with the ankle tan lines.

Funny story..

Before we were married, my wife worked at the local pool as a lifeguard, and I went to visit one afternoon. She was busy, so I decided to take a swim. About 20 min later, she calls me over, laughing her ass off. She tells me that the rest of the guards are talking about "some guy" who is swimming with his socks on. Turns out it was me.... I wasn't wearing socks, just a sock tan.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Golf is just great, a sport you play till the day you die, that maybe the best part about it. Had my first 2 volleyball matches in a year Monday night, I can still barely walk!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Golf is just great, a sport you play till the day you die, that maybe the best part about it. Had my first 2 volleyball matches in a year Monday night, I can still barely walk!

Are you rocking '70's retro clothing on the court too???

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Like the 70's basketball shorts? :lol:

If he is, I do NOT want Pics....

One more reason I love the game:

No matter what level you are, good or bad, in every round you hit at least one shot that no pro, anywhere, could have hit better.....be it a wood, iron, wedge, or putt.

I love that about the game.

I play golf because I find it both relaxing and challenging. It also pays the bills so to speak.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

Peace and quiet,the challenge. Unlike a team sports when someone else makes a mistake it affects you as well, in golf, your on your own. The fact that you can hit the most beautiful perfect from 210 to 2 feet, then miss the putt. The game can never be mastered, yet you can always improve.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

I like that I have to think my way around a golf course. I like spending time with the fellas. I like being outdoors and the exercise when I walk (which is almost every time I play). And I like when the cart girl gives me cold adult beverages.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Archived