Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

RBZ Stage 2 Fairway and Hybrid Forum Member Reviews!

GolfSpy WD

I'll say I have a solid initial impression of these clubs now. One thing in particular was not unexpected, but I didn't expect it to this degree.

As crappy as the weather has been, it does make for some interesting lie and terrible ground conditions that can only help our reviews!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dun dun dun.

Something wicked this way comes...

What would that be?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I'll say I have a solid initial impression of these clubs now. One thing in particular was not unexpected, but I didn't expect it to this degree.

As crappy as the weather has been, it does make for some interesting lie and terrible ground conditions that can only help our reviews!

Hey RP,

Nothing meant by that comment I was just stating the facts. I know each person has the free will to divulge what they would like.

• 2 weeks later...

Why, have they ever edited one of your posts?

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

no, not on the forum. But newsletter probably gets some editing before its finalised I'd say. Heck, I wouldn't even let me write an article for a widely distributed newsletter without some form of editing lol

Man, I'm gonna go do some editing. I put this up at 10PM last night after a long night at church and I had a headache. Mad Typos!

Also if anybody has any questions just ask and I'll do my best to answer you.

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

Great review Rickles!

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

Really nice review my brother!

It's funny but to me the head of the stage 2 three wood looks shallower than the original - sort of inbetween the RBZ and the R11s three wood. Also the head on the hybrid looks so large but you seemed to be able to handle it fine.

I have to get this in there sometime, somewhere so I'm making my confession here - I like the white crown. I have very sensitive eyes and the Florida sun just kills me off of a traditional head - not the white - I love the look of my R11s driver and can't wait to pick up a RBZ and put that head on my current shaft so that I have what my fitter wanted me to have - I killed that combo in my fitting.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Really nice review my brother!

It's funny but to me the head of the stage 2 three wood looks shallower than the original - sort of inbetween the RBZ and the R11s three wood. Also the head on the hybrid looks so large but you seemed to be able to handle it fine.

I have to get this in there sometime, somewhere so I'm making my confession here - I like the white crown. I have very sensitive eyes and the Florida sun just kills me off of a traditional head - not the white - I love the look of my R11s driver and can't wait to pick up a RBZ and put that head on my current shaft so that I have what my fitter wanted me to have - I killed that combo in my fitting.

Thanks for the kind words. I like the three wood so much I would definately like to look into an RBZ Stage 2 driver as a custom fit option. I just have no money right now. Maybe after you buy my clubs.

What's in my Bag:
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Rickles, that was a really good review.

I do not even carry hybrids or fairway woods anymore, most of the time, because I just do not get dependable performance out of them. I, therefore, had no real desire to even read the reviews about them. Last weekend, for giggles, I hit a friends RBZ2 3 wood and was very impressed. So I thought I would read your review. I thoroughly impressed. You captured and kept my interest in a subject that I have very little interest in.

The first time I hit this club I got great results. The next time, however, I felt like I made a good swing and good contact but did not get the expected results. That is my gripe about the FMs anyway. I do not get consistent results time after time. 250 one time and 200 the next and 260 then next time. They are so dependent on the lie to me. I can get very dependable results with the 2 & 3 irons several times per round. Maybe not the distance of a FM, but if I can not reach the green with a 2 iron than I probably am better off hitting a 7 iron and wedge, so I would rather carry an extra wedge instead of the FM. Hybrids, like you said go left, bad left, really far left, when they miss behave and I fear that. Irons are short and a little right and more manageable misses.

Great review.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Awesome reviews by everyone, great pics (including Miss Upton). Job well done.

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

Rickles, that was a really good review.

I do not even carry hybrids or fairway woods anymore, most of the time, because I just do not get dependable performance out of them. I, therefore, had no real desire to even read the reviews about them. Last weekend, for giggles, I hit a friends RBZ2 3 wood and was very impressed. So I thought I would read your review. I thoroughly impressed. You captured and kept my interest in a subject that I have very little interest in.

The first time I hit this club I got great results. The next time, however, I felt like I made a good swing and good contact but did not get the expected results. That is my gripe about the FMs anyway. I do not get consistent results time after time. 250 one time and 200 the next and 260 then next time. They are so dependent on the lie to me. I can get very dependable results with the 2 & 3 irons several times per round. Maybe not the distance of a FM, but if I can not reach the green with a 2 iron than I probably am better off hitting a 7 iron and wedge, so I would rather carry an extra wedge instead of the FM. Hybrids, like you said go left, bad left, really far left, when they miss behave and I fear that. Irons are short and a little right and more manageable misses.

Great review.

I think the incositency you are talking about is probably just the longer shaft. The longer the club the more likely I am to miss hit it too. And fairway woods have gotten freakishly long. I think you ought to do a test. I too fear the hook and so I went out and got a shaft specifically geared to make a hook less likely in my driver. You should get an old three wood you have lying around and rehshaft it at like 40 or 41 inches with a shaft that fights the hook. Heck, put a steel shaft that matches your irons. If you still hook the crap out of it, just kiss the fairway wood good bye forever.

What's in my Bag:

Both of my three woods are half an inch shorter than standard what ever the heck standard is anymore - that suits me just fine - what happens if that occasional 235 comes when I wanted 215 anyway?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I think the incositency you are talking about is probably just the longer shaft. The longer the club the more likely I am to miss hit it too. And fairway woods have gotten freakishly long. I think you ought to do a test. I too fear the hook and so I went out and got a shaft specifically geared to make a hook less likely in my driver. You should get an old three wood you have lying around and rehshaft it at like 40 or 41 inches with a shaft that fights the hook. Heck, put a steel shaft that matches your irons. If you still hook the crap out of it, just kiss the fairway wood good bye forever.

Both of my three woods are half an inch shorter than standard what ever the heck standard is anymore - that suits me just fine - what happens if that occasional 235 comes when I wanted 215 anyway?

I agree it is partly the longer shaft. I have a long shaft in the driver, but then I am hitting the driver off a perfect lie every time. I generate a lot of spin with my R11 3 wood, and actually hit the 2 iron farther off the tee, I have a Titleist 909F that I hit father off the tee, maybe 10 yards, but it is pretty finicky about fairway lies, but the bottom line is that at these distances, I only use the 3 wood when I have not hit a very good drive or into the wind. So after considerable deliberation and testing, I have discovered that if I have to hit a fairway metal, than I really need to lay up to a perfect wedge distance. Phil and Tiger can fire at the flag from 250 but I need to hit 7 iron and wedge from there to have any real chance of getting in the hole in 3 more shots. Typically, if I missed the green but still hit a good shot I am in a more difficult bunker or side hill lie.

I have steel shafts in my hybrids, that I do not carry very often, and have tried them in 3 Wood. I simply do not get the distance and consistency out of every lie that I do with an iron. But I will say that I am a solid iron player. I have worked hard on that over the last year and have seen great improvements over the last month even. I am often hitting 14 - 15 GIR per round now.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Archived