TESTERS WANTED! ×

Long irons consistency

Well, one last thing... feel like you start to release a little sooner and make sure that it's a full release. If the ball goes left because of a pull or hook then we can fix that. Until you can get a full proper release the club will not find a inside to outside path, it will always be a outside to inside path like it is currently.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JM, am I really coming out to in? looking at my feet stance, and the target, I am aiming at the target which is left, while the photo you showed me, the pro is aiming more right.\

I have always had the mindset to strike the ball in the inside quadrant. Just wondering.

Also... for long clubs like driver and 3 wood, if I drop it first, wouldn't I hit it fat?

JM, am I really coming out to in? looking at my feet stance, and the target, I am aiming at the target which is left, while the photo you showed me, the pro is aiming more right.\

I have always had the mindset to strike the ball in the inside quadrant. Just wondering.

Also... for long clubs like driver and 3 wood, if I drop it first, wouldn't I hit it fat?

Chicken wing + hands high = out to in = fade, when people hear out to in they think slice, out to in path could be as little as 0.5degrees from right to left compared to the target line.

No, lateral hip slide is designed to get the hands low before the body rotates, once the body starts to rotate it shallows out the arc. One-planners hold onto the angle in their wrists as long as they can two-planers need to let the wrist unhinge a lot sooner.

You might consider going to a local instructor that teaches a two-plane model and work with them.

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Sai-Jin

Quick question.

Do you lead your downswing with a left arm pull or push with your right?

Try this thought pattern. Turn and lift and pull with the left.

Sai-Jin, bargolf is Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting), he knows this stuff a lot better then I do as he is the guy I go to for instruction.

Here is his blog if you want to read some of his materials >> http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/

@JM: Understood. the local teachers here don't really suit me unfotunately. I've had better luck learning on my own and from tips ^^

@Bargolf: Hmmm... I would say it feels more like my right shoulder dips down to drop the club. For mid-short clubs, I try to imagine a table behind me and drop the club there. for longer clubs I'm thinking more of striking the ball in the inside quadrant because I'm rather afraid to dropit, and hit fat shots.

Turn life, pull with left... ok. So kinda like a tennis backhand?

@JM: Understood. the local teachers here don't really suit me unfortunately. I've had better luck learning on my own and from tips ^^

I completely understand, I am just trying to to screw you up worse.

I completely understand, I am just trying to to screw you up worse.

Not at all, I'm actually learning more from you than I did from the teacher in 2 lessons.

So I'm going to try to laterally slide, then drop the club, turn a lift / pull with left arm.

So I'm going to try to laterally slide, then drop the club, turn a lift / pull with left arm.

"Turn and lift and pull with the left" that's a sequence of motion for the swing.

Turn and lift = Backswing

pull with the left = Downswing

The hands drop as a result of the lateral slide they are not independent. Pulling your weight left will create lateral slide for you, pulling down with the left arm into impact will let the right arm be reactive rather then dominate.

@JM: AH! Yes, the turn shoulder then lift while dragging the club low is exactly what I felt in the back swing.

Ok. Yea, I noticed that my right is too dominating at times, so I try to relax the grip on the right more.

You know, I've always been afraid and don't trust my left side and because of my personality, I'm a little too controlling. I like control

JM, do you use skype?

Nice job guys.

The key phrase was "Also... for long clubs like driver and 3 wood, if I drop it first, wouldn't I hit it fat?"

The answer to that question for an upright player is, "Not if you pull the left and most certainly if you push with the right."

A tennis backhand with the left hand is not a bad analogy.

Nice job guys.

The key phrase was "Also... for long clubs like driver and 3 wood, if I drop it first, wouldn't I hit it fat?"

The answer to that question for an upright player is, "Not if you pull the left and most certainly if you push with the right."

A tennis backhand with the left hand is not a bad analogy.

Thank you. I can't wait to try these out. I think that one of the hardest thing for me would be my dominant right side, but I'll keep trying.

Well I have a few comments on possible FEEL you can try to work the left side harder in the downswing.

Weight shift

~ Feel like the inner thigh muscles of the left leg are pulling the weight towards the target while the hips stay passive (they FEEL like they don't rotate)

>> If this is done properly this will give you lateral slide without thinking about it.

Into impact

~ Just pull with the left arm and allow the right arm to react.

>> The right arm will feel pretty passive as the only job it has is to extend, impact / face is controlled with the upper hand (left hand).

EDIT 1: The tennis backhand thing is pretty useful as well, I used that in college a few times to people that actually have played tennis just sort of didn't think about it.

EDIT 2: Yes I have Skype.

Well I have a few comments on possible FEEL you can try to work the left side harder in the downswing.

Weight shift

~ Feel like the inner thigh muscles of the left leg are pulling the weight towards the target while the hips stay passive (they FEEL like they don't rotate)

>> If this is done properly this will give you lateral slide without thinking about it.

Into impact

~ Just pull with the left arm and allow the right arm to react.

>> The right arm will feel pretty passive as the only job it has is to extend, impact / face is controlled with the upper hand (left hand).

EDIT 1: The tennis backhand thing is pretty useful as well, I used that in college a few times to people that actually have played tennis just sort of didn't think about it.

EDIT 2: Yes I have Skype.

This kinda gives me the sensation that my head is hanging back, based on what I've felt before, yes? But of course make sure that my weight is not hanging back.

Ah, yes, I played tennis for the regional team.

Mind PMing me your skype?

The upper body is passive in transition yes if that's what you are asking.

These relax / passive grip and arms is so hard to do, specially when I'm trying to nail the ball...

I have to say that the first 40 balls or so it's doable and I'm hitting beautiful 3i and hybrid shots all the way down to PW, but after that

I became tired and I started either hitting it fat or pull hooks.

Hitting a driver like this is not working for me though =\

Getting tired means you are not taking breaks between swings. On the range make sure to take at least a 20second to 30second break between swings to allow the body to recover. If you don't take breaks you'll wear yourself down and then practice becomes pointless.

It should feel like you are practicing effortlessly, if you had to hit 1000 balls in a single day how many balls would you get through before you couldn't swing anymore? If you hit one shot per 45sec it would take you about 12 hours to hit all 1000 balls something like that.

I like to practice with no more then 35 balls, I spend about 1.25 to 1.5 hours hitting all the balls. Hitting one shot every 2 to 3 minutes or so giving 100% of my focus to every shot like I was on the course. I find that 5 balls get me warmed up and the other 30 are the real practice.

You do not have to swing hard to make it go far in fact its really the opposite a smoother proper sequence swing with a pure strike will go just as for with far more control over the shot.

I actually was running and training for 1.5 hours 30 min before I hit the range. So that made me feel like I lost muscle control over my body. very quickly.

but yes, normally I just hit 30-40 balls when I practice, I'm just a little impatient because I want to improve.

Btw, on the 15th ball, I started hitting drivers and I flip hook everything... it's the only club I can't hit without using my brute strength from my right side.

But then again, right dominant = push and fade for me.

Well, there is your answer. You can't improve if you have no gas in the tank left, it will cause more harm then good to practice tired. It pretty much always leads to bad habits and bad swings.

I like to practice with no more then 35 balls, I spend about 1.25 to 1.5 hours hitting all the balls. Hitting one shot every 2 to 3 minutes or so giving 100% of my focus to every shot like I was on the course. I find that 5 balls get me warmed up and the other 30 are the real practice.

I like the sound of your method of only hitting 35 golf balls, less physical work but sounds like it's better overall because you put more focus into each shot which is what I need to do. I have a couple questions though.

- Which clubs do you hit and how many balls per club? Just out of curiosity

- In between shots, do you just focus on the next shot for the whole 2-3 minutes?

For me I tend to hit 3 balls with 3i, 5i, 7i, pw, then Hybrid, then Driver, then Putting / Chipping, and lastly I cycle back with 3i to re-confirm my good swings then finish the rest with Driver and Hybrid.

@JM: I know what you mean, I still had some energy left, but not much, since I got tired very quickly.

That being said, why wasn't I able to hit the driver with the same swing I tried? I flipped and felt no power at all, unless I muscle it with my dominant right side.

- Which clubs do you hit and how many balls per club? Just out of curiosity

I play a 9 hole round in my mind, I pick either the front 9 or back 9 and play it, both have 2 par 3s and two par 5s, rest are par 4s so a par 36. I would only need 18 swings to hit every GIR on a single 9 holes, I really don't even need 30-35 I could do 22-25 honestly. IF you miss every GIR and get up and down each hole you looking at 18 swings + 9 short game shots so max you should only have to hit 27 golf balls playing 9 holes. I go to the extent of even hitting pitch shots if i feel I would have missed the green on my approach shot.

- In between shots, do you just focus on the next shot for the whole 2-3 minutes?

Nope, given I am playing 9 holes on my home course (in my mind, not literally), I am imagining walking up to my next shot picking a club, going through my normal routine as I would on the course, I let my mind wounder not thinking about golf for at least 1minute. Enjoy the nice day outside take a drink of water, clean my club, put it back in the bag, etc. Basically I try to mimic on the course conditions as best as possible.

Practice is a lot more effective if you practice like you play. I am actually a bigger fan of playing 9 holes over hitting balls on the range. On the course puts an extra little urgency of getting what you are attempting to do correctly.

Golf is a game of repetitiveness, without repeating a process before each shot how can you know for sure you are doing the same things or something different? I actually practice my process more then I practice my mechanics of the swing for the most part.

When you do this mentally playing 9 holes on the range, pick the next club based on how you hit the previous club. Act like you were walking down the range to hit the next shot.

For example at Duke University my home course on Hole 1 it's a Dog Leg left, anything right and through the dog leg is dead (270 through straight out from the tips), I hit my 4wood up the left side hoping to play a little draw. The approach shot is to an elevated green it plays about 1/2 club to 1 club longer then the distance.

If I pull off the little draw then I have roughly 150-170 yards into the hole depending on how much it runs, I would pick my 8i or 7iron based on how I felt contact was and the shot shape looked.

If I end up screwing up and go straight then I'll have 7i or 6i into the green so I hit one of those two irons depending, so that's what i pull out of my bag for the next shot.

If I hit a cut the biggest mistake possible I'll be in the fairway still with roughly 190-210 into the green so something like a 5i, 4i, 3i, 2hybrid might come out of the bag for the next shot.

I have played my course enough to know my distances when I make the proper shot and when I mess up and leave myself in a good place to recover. I have course management built into what club I am playing off the tee. Then I use course management where I want to miss the green depending on pin location, that miss side then picks my shot shape. Just a little thinking around the course and not automatically pulling out a club goes a long way.

It is just about the most common thing I hear / see from mid to high handicaps to "grip it and rip it", "nail it", "kill it", etc.

I would argue that you can't find a guy that has been successful on tour that doesn't swing inside themselves meaning they don't go 120% every swing. Bubba Watson plays a 44.50" driver, that probably suggests even with as long as he hits it that he feels a shorter length gives him control. John Daily has won 2 majors you don't do that hitting it all over the golf course.

Golf is a game of efficiency and finesse then raw power, if you want to score well at least it is. I have talked about this so many times now on this website.

To shot lower scores faster:

~ Putting / Short Game

>> Fastest way to drop strokes is eliminate 3 putts or worse and get up and down more often.

~ Eliminate the big number

>> A bogey is far better then double, triple etc.

>> Keep the ball out of any situation that involves a penalty stroke

>> AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL... Play every shot with a specific target / distance, this includes the tee shot.

~ Pre-shot / Pre-putt routine that allows happens

>> Golf is repetitive, repeat yourself with process.

Mechanics honestly don't mean a damn thing on the golf course, play golf not a swing: http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2013/01/play-swing-or-play-golf.html

If you want to work on your swing then do it on the range and if you're on the course working on your swing then don't keep score as score is not the objective.

I think it's a personality thing too, based on my experience.

The only reason I got down to 11 is because of my short game and putting.

But tee shots and fairway shots are just not fun if I don't feel like I'm muscling it. And the bad is that... I know I score better when I'm relaxed and just swing naturally, but I still want

to muscle shots because it feels good.

Sigh... maybe I'm just insane... lol

Archived