What are the short-game drills that you use that you think are most effective?

My favorite thing to do is to go to the practice green with 1 ball, my 60*, my PW, and my putter and just try to get up and down from as many different spots as possible. Not a "drill" per se, but it's great practice and it simulates the situation that a lot of us find ourselves in most of the time.

My favorite thing to do is to go to the practice green with 1 ball, my 60*, my PW, and my putter and just try to get up and down from as many different spots as possible. Not a "drill" per se, but it's great practice and it simulates the situation that a lot of us find ourselves in most of the time.

Great idea - gives you the follow through on getting it close and putting it in. I'm into this one!

In the off season I practice with my wedge in the basement using those firm foam balls. I hit off a small rectangle of astroturf and put chalk lines on the wall at different heights and "climb the ladder" for practice. It really gives me a great feel for how small changes in grip, stance, speed, etc effect the trajectory and spin of the shot. Last winter I was practicing by putting the ball right on the trailing edge of the mat, so I had to pick it precisely clean or I'd stub the club into the edge of the mat or hit it thin. This gave me a really good feel for the depth of the clubhead coming through. Its really really helped this year avoid stubbed shots around the green. On a tight lie, I just think of that mat, and about maintaining the same level through the swing, I'm getting alot purer contact and alot of more spin control because of this.

I place 4 tees around the hole, 5 feet away on each side, and I hit about 50 shots each with my PW, 54, and 58 from about 20-25yds.

What are the short-game drills that you use that you think are most effective?

It's not a drill, but I was shocked when I took a lesson and the high-speed slo-mo of my putting stroke was eye-opening. It was the perfect excuse to buy a Casio EX FH-20. Everyone videos their full-swing but never bothers with their putting stroke. Combine it with a cheap tripod from Radio Shack and it will be of more value to you than any drill. FYI, the tripod is a MUCH better idea than asking a friend or God-forbid, the wife to video your putting stroke. Take it from the voice of experience. :angry:

Well I've got a number of drills that I practice daily. Not sure if anyone's interested...

Putting Drill #1

In my experience, 99% of golfers don't practice their short game enough, those that do, do it wrong! How's that for a first post statement! :wacko:

Putting Drill #1.jpg

Hey... I like that putting drill Pugh... I'm going to steal that one. :)

Please do :)

I've more if you're interested...

I try and mix it up whilst I'm practicing short game, a mixture of putting and chipping, target stuff and scoring to keep my mind sharp.

How about a chipping one...

Anyone had a go at the above drills? I'd love to hear any feedback before posting some more up :blink:

Assuming our putting green has been cut recently, today I will be mainly holing lots and lots of short putts :D

junk2006-1.jpg?t=1277522461

junk2005-1.jpg?t=1277522460

You can just about make out the feint blue chalk line between the alignment sticks. Can only find blue chalk here so far, I'm guessing white would be better but from above the ball the blue is still very visable.

The tee is in the back of the hole to give me a nice small target to aim at.

Anyone wanting to improve on those 3 - 4 footers should give this a go. It's hard not to follow the symmetrical lines and get into a good rhythm of rolling putts in.

As a side note, I never 'see' the ball go in, instead I hear it drop and can just about 'sense' it out of the corner of my vision. Listening to the ball drop (or not as the case may be) is one of the best putting tips I ever picked up in my youth! :blink:

Anyone had a go at the above drills? I'd love to hear any feedback before posting some more up :blink:

I did you 18 holes putting game yesterday and shot 1 under (made a 36 footer, 2 putted everything else). I enjoyed the constant changing of distances, and I'll definitely do it again. Keep the drills coming!

I did the chipping drill #1 starting at 5 paces. Heh.. hit the towel on my first chip. *ahem* then I woke up.

I finally made it back to all balls at 6 paces and had to stop. It took a few shots. I didn't count, but lets just say I started over more than once. :blink:

I did the chipping drill #1 starting at 5 paces. Heh.. hit the towel on my first chip. *ahem* then I woke up.

I finally made it back to all balls at 6 paces and had to stop. It took a few shots. I didn't count, but lets just say I started over more than once. :D

Good to hear Mike :)

It's not a race, it's more about taking time over each shot as though it actually means something, hence the need to get all 3 on, each shot counts and the 'pressure' grows with each ball landed on the towel. Beats standing there aimlessly chipping 50 balls or so towards a flag. :D

I'm not surprised it took a few goes either, keep the distance short enough that you can complete the drill (all 4 wedges / clubs) reasonably easily rather than trying to get too far away and constantly seeing the ball miss. The idea is to keep getting positive feedback by seeing the ball go where you want. As you improve, move back, challenge yourself...

As you get better not only will you complete the drill with less attempts but you will also begin to actually hit the smaller target a few times too. I managed to hit the gum box 3 times yesterday.

The next chipping drill is waaaaaaaaay harder! ;) :D

I did you 18 holes putting game yesterday and shot 1 under (made a 36 footer, 2 putted everything else). I enjoyed the constant changing of distances, and I'll definitely do it again. Keep the drills coming!

-1 is a great score! Imagine playing 18 holes each time and never 3 putting! I don't buy into this 'putt into a dustbin lid' theory. As Rotella wrote in "Putting Out Of Your Mind", why aim to miss the hole!? Starting close in and putting from similar lines but longer putts each time encourages the feeling of trying to make the longer ones.

I like to keep a 'best score' in my head that I try and beat each time I visit the putting green. Alternatively, challenge another golfer to '18 holes' and see who has to buy the drinks :D Nothing beats a bit of competitive practice.

Chipping Drill #2 coming soon....