MSaternus, I'll start up a thread and see how it goes...

Might well be just you and me posting scores though :D

I was just looking for some short game practice plans, and came across this thread. Couple of drills in here that look great.

Definitely gonna give them a go!

Drill #1 for right handed golfers-

Chip with your right foot off the ground

Most golfers who are not good with short shots try to hit under the ball. The key to good contact is a decending blow and this is easily created with your weight positioned on the front foot.

Here's a pic of my buddy Todd performing the drill.

image.jpg

Yours was the only post that I read however I don't know if you currently do them though I believe that the "L" & "Y" drills are hands down not only the best short game drills, I think that they are the best ball striking drills, period.

These drills allow you to work in the two most critical factors in quality ball striking and they is distance & direction. You can start with green side chips and move I back.

They were good enough that Ben called them the two most important drills that he practiced, hence, they are also know as the "Hogan" drills.

I think that you might already be using them.

They are the only physical swing thoughts in the Tour Tempo books.

John Sr.'s thoughts are that if you can execute both drills effectively, them your swing's in fine shape and you can deal with the tempo.

Anyways, as always, the Best to ya Bro

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

Thanks, Richard.

My chipping technique is very much a Y-drill, while I could perhaps work harder on a L-drill type of action for my pitch shots.

But the "drills" I referred to is more of a practice plan, than a drill to ingrain a specific technique.

These drills in a nutshell are as follows:

The chipping drill

Chipping to a bag towel from about 5 feet, with the aim of landing the ball on the towel. Place a smaller item, like a tee, or a credit card in the middle of the towel to really focus on. Aim is to land 3 in a row on the towel. Move back to 6 feet, 7 feet etc as you manage to land the ball on the towel.

Two putting drills

The two putting drills consist of hitting putts from varying lengths and lines, and keeping a score to par. Aim is to finish the course at par, or under. Longer term is to better your personal best score.

The drill marked as putting drill #1 looks especially interesting, as you will have 9 holes to play. Each consecutive hole is on a different line, and of a different length. Seems like this drill would give good sense of distance control.

So I suspect a better name would be chipping practice plan, or a putting practice plan. But that is just semantics.

Thanks for the advice.

Drill #1 for right handed golfers-

Chip with your right foot off the ground

Most golfers who are not good with short shots try to hit under the ball. The key to good contact is a decending blow and this is easily created with your weight positioned on the front foot.

Here's a pic of my buddy Todd performing the drill.

image.jpg

Thanks, apprenti23. I like to think that my technique for chipping is pretty solid, but I will give this one a go next time I'm at the short game area.

My pro just posted this in his newsletter -- seems like a fun way to practice:

A game that I often play when I practice and suggest to my students is "21." You need three balls and a wedge. Hit a low, medium and high shot from 10, 15 and 20-yards and putt them out keeping track of your score. The Tour up-and-down percentage is 66% or 2 out of 3 which after nine holes equals 21. Try this with a few different wedges and when you go out and play, you'll laugh and find yourself saying, "This is a 10-yard chip... this is a 15-yard lob... this is a 20-yard pitch....