TESTERS WANTED! ×

Floating course in the middle of the Indian Ocean

The Dansome

I'm curious how far from land it is. I have to admit I'm a little surprised at the Indian Ocean location, I would have picked Dubai for creating something like this.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'm curious how far from land it is. I have to admit I'm a little surprised at the Indian Ocean location, I would have picked Dubai for creating something like this.

I agree since Dubai is the place to waste time, money, and resources. But seriously this looks like an interesting concept, the green fees would be insane though.

I'm guessing the lighter blue ring is a reef system

That would be cool! I guess it's sort of like the proposed solution to ny's future flooding issues:

NY PROTECT.jpg

That actually could work quite well... and by well I mean well for the environment, because I imagine a course with that much water would not bode well for players.

How could it deal with tides, storms, and the flooding that would be guaranteed? It just doesn't make sense to me...

It would be awesome if it could deal, however.

This is in Maldavies. The entire country is made up of islands and the highest point is less than 8 feet above sea level. The difference in high and low tide is minimal that near the equator or their population would be swimming every day.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I'm thinking this is some kind of joke. Where will they find enough rich people to keep such an expensive facility alive ?

Shambles

When you average income per capita is less than $6000 annually, please define rich. If you have a country that has 1200 islands and a lot of cheap labor how hard is it to maintain a golf course?

This is in Maldavies. The entire country is made up of islands and the highest point is less than 8 feet above sea level. The difference in high and low tide is minimal that near the equator or their population would be swimming every day.

Which is also located in the Indian Ocean :P

I read about a similar project a few months ago and the idea is to make it float (duh!) with the tide. Picture the entire golf course built on a giant rubber raft. The course would rise and sink with the tide and remain unaffected by flooding.

Storms and hurricanes? Just throw a gigantic plastic cover over the course and you are done... I mean, you already built a monster floating raft... a matching cover doesn't sound that crazy :lol:

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

When you average income per capita is less than $6000 annually, please define rich. If you have a country that has 1200 islands and a lot of cheap labor how hard is it to maintain a golf course?

Life for the poor in India is bad to the extreme.

Granted that labor can be found even to the point of work for food, there are a lot of jobs on a golf course that require a fair amount of technical education, especially in this one which is situated on the ocean. I'm pretty sure the agronomist who deals with this course will be needing an extra large supply of fresh water and chemicals just trying to keep the grass alive. Machinery will suffer from salty air, as will the course, and it's very possible the course will suffer soggy fairways during the monsoon season. Offhand, with the shortened life of machinery and the competition from courses that are easier and cheaper to maintain, this course only future will be as a very exclusive highly luxurious playground. Not to say that is impossible, but it will be a very difficult project to sell and maintain unless there really are that many extremely wealthy people there.

Shambles

Life for the poor in India is bad to the extreme.

Granted that labor can be found even to the point of work for food, there are a lot of jobs on a golf course that require a fair amount of technical education, especially in this one which is situated on the ocean. I'm pretty sure the agronomist who deals with this course will be needing an extra large supply of fresh water and chemicals just trying to keep the grass alive. Machinery will suffer from salty air, as will the course, and it's very possible the course will suffer soggy fairways during the monsoon season. Offhand, with the shortened life of machinery and the competition from courses that are easier and cheaper to maintain, this course only future will be as a very exclusive highly luxurious playground. Not to say that is impossible, but it will be a very difficult project to sell and maintain unless there really are that many extremely wealthy people there.

Shambles

My neighbor who is a regular playing partner just went to Ireland last week. (Maybe he week before) but of course since he was there he was going to play golf. With caddy and green fees alone he said it cost them $400+ tip for the caddy. Renting clubs was extra. All totaled they spent over $500 each and were not even allowed to hit out of the fairway without placing the ball on AstroTurf. It was also wet, windy, and 40*.

He is not "rich" but he was there so he was going to play golf. I will point out that he spent more in a day playing there than I spent for a week in Florida and had much nicer weather and courses.

I understand your points but there are a lot of people in the world. Some of them even stupid enough to go to Ireland and play golf.

He only played once but there were guys in his group that played five times.

My neighbor who is a regular playing partner just went to Ireland last week. (Maybe he week before) but of course since he was there he was going to play golf. With caddy and green fees alone he said it cost them $400+ tip for the caddy. Renting clubs was extra. All totaled they spent over $500 each and were not even allowed to hit out of the fairway without placing the ball on AstroTurf. It was also wet, windy, and 40*.

He is not "rich" but he was there so he was going to play golf. I will point out that he spent more in a day playing there than I spent for a week in Florida and had much nicer weather and courses.

I understand your points but there are a lot of people in the world. Some of them even stupid enough to go to Ireland and play golf.

He only played once but there were guys in his group that played five times.

I understand such an attitude. I'm equally guilty at times. It's not necessarily stupid though rethinking the act at a later time would convince one that there was a distinct lack of sense in the act. Still and all, for the sake of the memory, we do things.

Shambles

I understand such an attitude. I'm equally guilty at times. It's not necessarily stupid though rethinking the act at a later time would convince one that there was a distinct lack of sense in the act. Still and all, for the sake of the memory, we do things.

Shambles

I too am guilty, I was working in Hawaii so I paid $250 to play a round of golf.

Archived