Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How far have you driven for a round of golf?

RoverRick

I remember as a wee lad loading into my dad's suburban at the crack of dawn with our golf gear and picking up his buddies and heading out for a day of golf up into the mountains of Oklahoma. Ok, so I was not really a wee lad. I was 18 years old and I only went with them that one summer. Before that I worked on weekends and after that I no longer at home, but this is my story, and it is includes my dad and while he is no longer with us, he never once let a little thing like a few facts stand in the way of a good story. Often the stories were much more interesting than actually doing it. Also, “mountains” is a very generous term for the elevated ground in Eastern Oklahoma. But they would load up and drive up to three hours away and play golf and come back home and then all go out to dinner with the wives. A full day, I can assure you.

The guys I play with now, seldom want to go more than an hour away to play golf. But I was just wondering, how far you would travel to play golf.

I would also like to make an appeal to the spies in Washington, Oregon, and Northern California and other surrounding areas ( I thought this included Idaho and Montana) to take a road trip and join us in Vancouver.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Years ago, I had a client who had a successful business and the opportunity as an owner to take a lot of time off. He usually played 300+ rounds a year. He lived in Milwaukee!! In the Milwaukee offseason (which was for him, rather short--i.e. if there wasn't snow on the ground, he'd play), he and a buddy or two would head as far south as they needed to go to find bare ground to play. Usually, southern Illinois was as far as he needed to go. He'd do this several times a week.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

How far would I drive to play 1 round in a day? About 2 hours.

How far have I gone to play a couple of times? About 6-8 hours.

I'll stick with the 2 hours at this stage, unless I go somewhere in winter to play.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Plan on driving about 22 miles or so to MSP International in June, and then flying the other 1,800 or so to Vancouver.....

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

We've been known to head south to escape cold weather, sometimes 100-150 miles makes the difference between playing and not! That's about as far as we'll consider going for a day trip, and we have to be jonesing for golf pretty bad to do it, usually only happens once a year or so.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

For one round of golf, generally up to an hour......since there are more courses than "Carter's got liver pills" in my area.

For a golf vacation, I have driven about 8 hours....Tampa to Myrtle Beach(550 miles)

For a trip where I also included my clubs, hoping to play.....about 2,000 miles (Tampa to Bismark, ND)

I live 1/2 mile from Saddlebrook Resort, but only get to play it about 1 or 2 times a year. (In season cost is $125; off season is $35)

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I used to live in Omaha, and played weekly tournaments in KC. About a 3 hour drive. The 7:30 tee times were tough. But it's a really easy drive home when you have a trophy in the trunk!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

For one round 2 hours max when I lived in Calgary I would play kananaskis CC a lot and that's aboot an hour away.

Now that I live in Los Angeles I think the most I have driven for one round is a hour.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

WalkerJames, a 1 hour drive in LA is about 15 miles, isn't it?

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

WalkerJames, a 1 hour drive in LA is about 15 miles, isn't it?

How true! LOL

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

For 1 round I've driven 2 hours.

For a golf trip I've flown a whole day.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I'm in Sacramento and I'd make the drive to Bandon no questions asked.

I'll drive 2 to 3 hours to meet up with buddies for a round at a decent track once a month if needed.

I'd drive to Vancouver if my wife would release funds to me ;-)

For a golf trip I have driven close to 12 hours several times. My buddies and I have driven 3.5 hrs, played 54 holes, driven home then worked the next day. I was tired at work.....

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

• SPY VIP

I'm in Sacramento and I'd make the drive to Bandon no questions asked.

I'll drive 2 to 3 hours to meet up with buddies for a round at a decent track once a month if needed.

I'd drive to Vancouver if my wife would release funds to me ;-)

who do I have to talk to?

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

For a golf trip I've driven or flown across country Connecticut to Arizona or Florida to Arizona. I've driven around 20 hours - Nothern Indiana to Corpus Cristi a number of times when I was up there and a friend was down there - I will be driving from here to Fort Wayne Indiana this summer because I'm here and he's there.

For a day trip I'd do 2 hours - that's about how long it takes to get to Black Diamond ranch from here. I have some guys that I'll play with who love to drive an hour plus - I don't know why because there are courses, really good courses, all over the place everywhere you turn here - my favorites remain TPC Tampa - 40 minutes and Worldwoods an hour and a half. They are pricey in the winter but I will make the trip to both 3 or 4 times in the summer months.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

For a golf trip I've driven or flown across country Connecticut to Arizona or Florida to Arizona. I've driven around 20 hours - Nothern Indiana to Corpus Cristi a number of times when I was up there and a friend was down there - I will be driving from here to Fort Wayne Indiana this summer because I'm here and he's there.

For a day trip I'd do 2 hours - that's about how long it takes to get to Black Diamond ranch from here. I have some guys that I'll play with who love to drive an hour plus - I don't know why because there are courses, really good courses, all over the place everywhere you turn here - my favorites remain TPC Tampa - 40 minutes and Worldwoods an hour and a half. They are pricey in the winter but I will make the trip to both 3 or 4 times in the summer months.

TPC Tampa is one of my favorite courses. Every time I'm in the Tampa area I make it a point to play.

Archived