TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wilson Shockwave Driver (Europe Market)

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

And the ultra-light technology continues with the Wilson Shockwave driver being introduced to the European Market. Driver weighs 295 grams...20 grams lighter then the Wilson Smooth Driver.

shockwave-driver.jpg

#TruthDigest

• SPY VIP

Would have to contact my Wilson sources to find out the answer but I would think this is just a representation of a shockwave moving through the air.

A little more in your face than the smooth...

I like it. Does the "K" graphic represent impact?

#TruthDigest

• SPY VIP

It's hard to tell direction with the K. The straight part could be the club face with the curve being the ball. Waves move out round edge first though, so that would seem backward.

As a graphic for graphic's sake, I like it for some reason.

Could also be driver face and the two possible ball flights, up above the wave letters (good) or down under the wave (bad)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I like the looks of it. Just not sold on the new longer, lighter clubs.

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

I think Wilson has been putting out some great product in recent years. A VERY underrated company in my opinion. Their FG59 forged blades are just beautiful:

FG59

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Wilson, have to hand it to them, they have been making a push as of late, just need Paddy to the Masters, and I think all their marketing efforts would take off!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Love to give it a shot, brand names should mean nothing, preformence is where it's at

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

Wilson, have to hand it to them, they have been making a push as of late, just need Paddy to the Masters, and I think all their marketing efforts would take off!

The man is a two time British Open Champion. That isn't enough for you? LOL.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

The man is a two time British Open Champion. That isn't enough for you? LOL.

Apparently not....their stuff hasn't been flying off the shelves. If they had a few more name players in their stable -- or even a more non-name players -- they'd probably do better. Right or wrong, tour play does help dictate sales.

Maybe a Master's win would do it. I swear someone else that has won in the last 2 years is playing Wilson also. Charlie Hoffman?

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently not....their stuff hasn't been flying off the shelves. If they had a few more name players in their stable -- or even a more non-name players -- they'd probably do better. Right or wrong, tour play does help dictate sales.

You are right, but I find it highly ironic. The probability is that the equipment used on tour is the last thing the average golfer should be carrying.

• 3 weeks later...

Have used many drivers in the last few years. Many of the top sellers were 20-30 yards shorter and harder to control than less played brands. Don't want to flame a brand, only want to talk about what works for me. The Wilson Smooth had only average reviews but I LOVED hitting it...Will probably be adding it to my bag in the near future. Long, straight but workable also..and the looks and sound are appealing at address.

Swings are different and what works for any individual will often be different because of that. Just sayin...to heck with brand loyalty, I try everything and play what works for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Wilson has improved their irons a lot the last few years but i have always felt their drivers are way behind. Hopefully they are giving more attention to their wood line because their new irons wedges and putters are fantastic

Anyone hit the US Wilson Smooth Driver?

I hit both the 9 degree and the 10.5 degree at a recent demo day. Having trouble deciding which way to go and want to hit both again on a different day to see if I have consistent results. GREAT club and shaft. I've always gone with the lower trajectory option with heads. But the 10.5 has a beautiful flight that made me question this . I know that the higher loft is better suited to slower swing speeds but some with higher swing speeds are going this route also. Would like to hear from people who have switched one way or the other with your results.

By the way, the bottom of the Smooth is classy and well executed. The top at address isn't as refined but I liked the shape of the club and I hit the tar out of it. You can work it left or right and it's very stable and solid feeling.

The graphics and finish on the top are basic, but the results are worth the trade off...For a club that's been on the market for a couple years you still can't find them for under $250 and most places are at $299...While most big names with pretty faces drop to $199 after a year, this suggests that I'm not the only one who has had good results with the Smooth.

I really, really want to hit this club, but I can't find it any where in my area

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

Did another Demo Day yesterday...Was there for a couple hours, trying drivers, getting fitted on the Mizuno cart of irons (fantastic info) and kept an open mind.

Taylor Made, Cobra, Titleist, Adams, Mizuno, Wilson and a couple others were there...Hit a bunch and came back to the Wilson Smooth Driver. After extended use of drivers available, I found the 9.0 with the Fujikura E360 worked best for me. The things I love about it are the shape of the head (for a 460cc, it looks smaller and more appealing), the simple alignment on the crown and the way the ball explodes off the clubface. My mishits were very acceptable (my Wilson Spine hit long, but mishits on the inside of the head were awful) and the ball flight was laser like. I have a wide arc that produces a high trajectory and the 9.0 truly had a penetrating ball flight. A guy next to me was 5-10 years younger and was going on about his long drive competition driver. I'm not sure what he was using but my carry was longer than his total yardage* (* hitting long has NOTHING to do with scoring, I have a lifetime of scorecards to prove it!).

The thing that got me to the cash register was my dispersion. Long is great, but not if you are hitting 3 off the tee.

I was able to make a powerful swing with tempo and produce repeating results...Sold....Highly recommend giving this club a shot if you can find it, it's truly underrated.

As for irons, I came away with two clubs...The Wilson FG Tour I hit again and will likely purchase someday, but got fitted at the Mizuno stall and hit the MP 52 and MP 58 with the 6.0 project X shaft. The Mizuno fitting meter that attaches to the club actually had me at 6.5, but the guy fitting me said that the tempo on my better swings were more suited to the 6.0. Regardless, I loved the Zuno's...The 58 is sexier looking but the 52 is rock solid and slightly more forgiving. I felt I could play either one (if I could afford it!!). In the last couple weeks I've spent time on the simulator and getting fitted and have decided either to reshaft my Wilson pi7's with an inch longer shaft (2 degrees upright) or do the same with whatever I purchase. I got fitted many years ago and ended up with the same specs.

One thing for sure...NOTHING feels like a well struck forged club. Pure butter on the better swings. Good feedback on the not so good swings...But I could live with either the FG Tours or either Mizuno..Learned a lot..

Archived