Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Standard vs Mid size grip

sai-jin

Do you guys know if these 2 sizes make a difference?

I accidentally installed a Mid sized grip on my driver shaft today, it feels comfy and it doesn't feel too small.

THing is I'm a Cadet Medium, so I have smaller hands.

Yup, grip size can make a difference.

Mid size is usually heavier, which will make the club feel lighter and lowers the swing weight. It can also make it harder to get your hands turned over if it's not the right size for you.

However I'm more of the camp that you should play whatever feels comfortable, if you like it and don't notice any performance issues then play it. If the swing weight feels too light you could always add some lead tape to the head.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I believe that the grips are more of feel and like hckymeyer said, add lead tape to get the weight back up if it affects it that much. I used to play midsized grips but switched to standard size because there were more options and I found that turning the ball over was a little easier with the standard. Heck, some dude told me when I was around 13 or 14 that I should be playing oversize grips, so much for that.

Grip size make a huge difference. The larger grip slows the hands down. I use the midsize grip with 8 wraps under the right hand.

The interesting thing is on the putter I use the smallest grip I can get promote better feel.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Interesting! Thanks for the info!

It's funny, because I was using the Mid size when I was testing the JDL5 shaft for review. The club head is heavy, shaft is light, but I felt that that the entire club is balanced. I was still hitting hooks until I opened the face up though.

So since the grip slows the hand down a little (which I like), how many tapes do I need to put to turn the same model Standard grip to make it midsize weight?

I actually like the Mid size, it doesn't feel like my left hand gets underneath the grip, but it does make my right hand get a little more underneath on driver address because the ball is in the front... if this makes sense to you guys.

I'm not sure on the exact math (Rookieblue probably has it handy though), but I use 4 wraps of masking tape under a standard size grip and it ends up pretty close to a midsize. Maybe just a hair smaller. I went that route because at the time I didn't want to mess with changing the swing weight and there were more color options that I liked with the standard size grip.

Just curious, do you blow on your grips with an air compressor or use grip tape and solvent? I switched to blowing them on with an air compressor about a year ago and it works great because if you don't like the size you can just blow it off and add or remove tape very easily.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I use grip tape and solvent.

I think after further consideration, I really feel comfy with the mid size. I have always felt that the standard is a little too skinny for me.

So this accident is a blessing in disguise.

Meyer, how is your Oban Kiyoshi? Can you tell me more about it? Feel, trajectory, load, etc?

The butt of a mid size will always be larger than a standard one however, you can make any of them bigger under the lower hand with more tape. It is a personal preference thing, but what I do is use one of the old grips that has been cut, and wrap tape around and then wrap the old grip to see if I like the feel yet. I have 8 wraps of tape under my right hand.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Others have mentioned swing weight which is something to consider for sure. The biggest thing is performance changes. The major thing is that a too small of a grip could lead to hooks and too large of a grip could lead to fades. It's mostly how they are going to sit in your hand.

Midsize depending on core / butt size is normally +1/16", the oversize is +1/8" roughly. With your small hands the over sized grips could end up giving you a fade bias.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Need more people using midsize grips so companies produce more variety!

Anyone with big hands really needs to try them. People make too big of a deal of swing weight due to the 10g extra you usually get with a midsize grip. I've come to really like C8-D0 swing weights where before I was convinced it had to be D2-D4.

You can build up standard sized grips to be midsize over all, tape and grip material weigh different amounts so this something to consider for swing weight.

But if you wanted to get from a standard then use build up tape (click here for golf works tape) that is designed for 1/64" increase in diameter of the grip. "2+1" would be +1/32", "4+1" would be +1/16" midsize. The first number is amount of full layers of buildup tape, the 1 is always 1 layer of double sided tape. If you went up to "8+1" then you looking at an oversize +1/8".

I think it is Bubba Watson that plays something like 14 wraps under his left hand (lower hand). I like to use a 0.580" Core Grip on a 0.600" Butt (+1/64" already) then add 2 wraps under my right hand (lower hand only) to get less tapper in the grip.

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

I've switched back and forth from standard to mid-size a few times in the last 10 years, I think my hand size just falls right in the middle and I'm also Cadet-M glove size.. When I'm playing well, I prefer standard grips as I think they give me a bit more feel for the shot and allow me work the ball a bit better. In the past when I've struggled with hooking the ball I have switched to mid-size and it either helps or more likely I just fixed my swing while using them. One good thing about mid-size is it is I find it easier to maintain a lighter grip pressure with them, although last time I used them was the last time I got a bad case of tendonitis in my elbow. I never really knew if that is what caused it, probably not but it made me a bit leery of using them.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I am also a Cadet-M or small glove size, I normally buy the Small as it fits skin tight and then stretches out to a conferable fit.

Left hand is +1/64" right hand is roughly +3/64" so it's something between a standard and a midsized grip it feels great.

The double sided tape I have is from Golfsmith.

And since Lamkin doesn't make the white perma in midsize, I have to tape more.

With the golf smmith tape, do you think 2 tapes is enough to turn it into mid size?

Since I only have double sided tape, I went and do 2+1... hopefully this is close enough.

Grip size can make a big difference, IMO. I always played standard size grips but last year I bought a set of Nike Slingshot irons off of Ebay that had jumbo grips and I loved them. I felt like I had so much more control over the clubface and it seemed to fit my hand much better.

I wouldnt say that I have big hands (I wear a size large glove) but I feel that with standard size grips my finger touch my palm normally when I grip the club, whereas with jumbo or midsize grips them dont, which I feel allows me to have a firmer grip on the club.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Double sided tape is not the same thickness as professional build up tape, plus double sided is more expensive over all so you really don't want to use it as build up tape.

Here is a chart from Golf Works on grip size / build up >> http://www.golfworks.com/images/art/GripSizing2.pdf

If you look on the right side of the above chart it says "Do not build-up grip size with the double-coated tape as it is more expensive than masking tape and it is also thicker (.014" vs. .010")."

Archived