Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Club face & shaft durability

sai-jin

Have many of you killed some club heads before?

I know I'm an equipment addict, when I love something, I usually stock up 2 or 3 of the same kind.

the past 2 years, I have killed 2 TMAG driver heads. The face just died. So I stocked up on a couple of heads just in case. But also

because I don't like the decals on the current R1 or RBZ2, plus none of my shafts will work on these heads anyways.

So do you think these heads will totally need to be replaced say in 5-10 years?

And how about premium shafts, do they break eventually?

The sound is deadened and there is no spring on the face. Took the heads to the shop for warranty and they confirmed it's a dead face.

I highly doubt it's my SS... the only thing I can think of is a lemon product.

Heads

I haven't had one go dead on me before, I have caved in the face a TMaG 460 SuperQuad back in college. Adams Golf on the Fast 12 LS had to re-design the tip adjuster because I had heard some guys that had high swing speeds (an LDA guy for example) were breaking them. I really haven't heard too often of a face going completely dead. I would say that's either a manufacturing flaw or simply an ass ton of balls that went across the face of it.

Shafts

Only time that I have had issues with premium shafts is when the tip matrix get compromised from heating / re-heating to pull and move the shaft around a bunch of times. I exploded two different Diamana WhiteBoard 73x shafts from this happening. I have heard a rumor before that steel shafts can eventually bend a little over time for guys with high swing speeds and resistance to the ground etc. I haven't really seen proof of that happening however.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

The only time a head died on me was a Taylor Made head whose Titanium face developed a small crack in normal use. The local distributor refused warranty and did not give assistance b/c the head was bought in the U.S. Apparently I was on my own sending the head back to the U.S. for warranty so I stopped buying any local products from the retailers here and have since settled for the second hand market. These come so cheap I can just throw away the ones I don't like.

That one cracked face from T.M. turned me off and away from brand new, initially from T.M., but now extended to all brands distributed locally.

I have never found a worn out shaft, but I have ruined a few.

Shambles

99% of people will not keep a club long enough to hit enough balls to demolish a clubface. That said, I've seen some equipment failures (as can be expected) from every manufacturer. These are still assembly line products and they're not all going to be perfect. That's why they have warranties. LOL. And yes, I've had some myself that have had failures. Titleist, Nike, TMag, Adams, etc. They all will have failures. Thinner faces and more lax QC overseas where they're manufactured (not saying US QC is much better, if at all) will result in some failures. They build that in to their budgets though.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Archived