PIC - Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Wedges

GolfSpy_X

Ooooh....Mack Daddy like!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I think there Is way to much writing on clubs these days!

Just put RC on the hosel and leave off designed by. But other than that's cool Wedge.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

I have to say, I'm digging the milling on the face that looks like linked chains. Very neat detail.

Not the giantest fan of the "designed by Rodger Cleveland" on there but at least it isn't huge.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

THAT is a beautiful wedge

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

I think there Is way to much writing on clubs these days!

Just put RC on the hosel and leave off designed by. But other than that's cool Wedge.

I 100% agree. Wedge looks very good though, Companies should look into some sort of "Ghost" acid etch writing.......

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Very sharp.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Hmmm. Just replaced my wedges that had the original MD grooves. Trying to decide if I should sell them or keep them. They spin the ball back too much for me. These look interesting. Would like to see the face close up. I like the sole grind. I love wedges.

Those look awesome.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Aside from the overly busy goings on covering the back I'm really digging these. Loving Hula's acid etching idea as well.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

Decent shaped wedge with a stupid name and horrible groove pattern. Would look better if the secondary groove marks weren't filled white.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

• SPY VIP

Pros testing Callaway prototype wedge

HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. -- Carrying a handful of wedges in his right hand, Roger Cleveland, Callaway's Chief Club Designer, made his way down the range at Harbour Town Golf Links on Monday afternoon, stopping for a couple minutes along the way to chat with players and caddies about his latest creation -- a Callaway prototype wedge called "Mack Daddy 2."

Roger Cleveland shows off the three different grinds of his Callaway Prototype wedge. (Jonathan Wall/PGATOUR.COM)

According to Cleveland, the wedge comes in two lofts (58 and 60 degrees) and three different grinds (S-grind, C-grind and U-grind). The "S-grind" (Standard grind) and U-grind have a bounce of 10 degrees, while the C-grind has a bounce of 14 degrees.

The wedge also features a textured face that has milling between the scorelines and, as Cleveland noted, grooves that are more aggressive but still conform to USGA groove regulations.

Colt Knost and defending RBC Heritage champion Carl Pettersson tested the prototype wedge on Monday and both requested 60-degree wedges with the U-grind.

While it's unclear if either player will put the wedge in play this week, the prototype is already in the bag of two former major winners. Cleveland confirmed Phil Mickelson started carrying a 60-degree U-grind several weeks ago, and Ernie Els used one last week at the Masters.

http://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2013/04/15/cleveland-brings-prototype-wedge-to-rbc-heritage.html

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Well it's interesting, but good looking, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I personally think the wedge is ugly as hell. I can't stand the white chain link between the grooves. It's like they are trying to get a high contrast on wedges and putters now a days to help a player's perception of alignment. That's really why TMaG went to white heads originally is to make it high contrast between a black face and a white crown for alignment of the head to the target.

The Odyssey Versa putters have been found in a lot of people they will try to keep the contrast stripe scare to the target manipulating the face in the stroke closed back open through. A manipulated stroke is not a consistent stroke, it can be successful but it's also streaky. I almost wounder if the same effect for a wedge can take place, if you see the white lines in your peripheral vision or you look at the head as you pitch or chip will you start manipulating your swing?

Anyways regardless if it doesn't cause manipulation it is way more going on in the face of a club then I want in terms of visual stipulation.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Well it's interesting, but good looking, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I personally think the wedge is ugly as hell. I can't stand the white chain link between the grooves. It's like they are trying to get a high contrast on wedges and putters now a days to help a player's perception of alignment. That's really why TMaG went to white heads originally is to make it high contrast between a black face and a white crown for alignment of the head to the target.

The Odyssey Versa putters have been found in a lot of people they will try to keep the contrast stripe scare to the target manipulating the face in the stroke closed back open through. A manipulated stroke is not a consistent stroke, it can be successful but it's also streaky. I almost wounder if the same effect for a wedge can take place, if you see the white lines in your peripheral vision or you look at the head as you pitch or chip will you start manipulating your swing?

Anyways regardless if it doesn't cause manipulation it is way more going on in the face of a club then I want in terms of visual stipulation.

I've read Bruce's opinions on this, which is where I'm assuming you've formed your opinion from; however, wouldn't this mean that it would also cause some manipulation with the taylormade drivers, fairways, and hybrids? Also, quite possibly incuding this years adams product line and last years silver? This seasons callaway x hot should be included too.

The Versa putters are KILLING it on tour- you can say it causes manipulations all you want but that's all well in good in a study but you can't really argue with results on tour. Same can be said for the white taylormade drivers which have had huge success for a couple seasons now.

I don't know about everyone else but once I'm aligned and start my stroke or swing I stare at the ball.

I've read Bruce's opinions on this, which is where I'm assuming you've formed your opinion from; however, wouldn't this mean that it would also cause some manipulation with the taylormade drivers, fairways, and hybrids? Also, quite possibly including this years adams product line and last years silver? This seasons callaway x hot should be included too.

Does anyone here swing a driver short enough to keep the club inside their peripheral vision? I sure as hell don't hit a bump and run with it or try to make a 10 yard shot with a driver personally.

So lets just go ahead and toss that out of you making a point to manipulating the face compared to a wedge / putter because the stroke length don't match where a wedge and putter are hit short enough to notice bold visual aspects on the club.

As for the Fairway / Hybrid that have the white crown black face scheme. How many people here hit a bump and run with these clubs on a regular basis. I might do it once in a blue moon, it's pretty rare for the situation to call for it at least for me. If you do hit the bump and run with the club does it have a bold visual alignment aspect to it on the crown of the head? a white, black, white combination? NO, clearly the alignment aid is a small mark and the graphics don't aid in keeping the head square. So when yo do make that stroke it is less likely to catch the scheme on the crown.

The black face and white crown in the peripheral vision of myself when I have used one doesn't pop out like the black, white, black or white, black, white putter scheme of the versa putter when I went to test one in the store. Yes I have read Bruce's opinion on it, I base MY opinions of MY experience with a concept, I don't take people's word for it, I go and see if I find the same results as the person talking or if I find different results.

Getting to your comment that I based my opinion of what Bruce wrote that's not exactly correct. Yes it got me THINKING about it, then I happily walked into a golf store and picked up the putters for myself gave them a try to see if I had the same findings that in my peripheral vision it messed with me in the stroke. It did, the only way I could get the thing not to mess with me is to completely ignore my need to see the path / putter in my peripheral vision and nearly close my eyes.

I have the mentality to think for myself. I will take any concept that sparks my interest in my career / hobbies THINK about the concept on a LOGICAL level based on what I know. If I don't know enough about it then I RESEARCH the concept more to try to prove or disprove the concept / opinion from other sources. If I find the THEORY to be accurate then I attempt it in PRACTICE to see if theory translates to real world application. This entire process is how you actually LEARN something and be able to think for yourself while having the ability to have conviction of your opinion on the topic. If someone comes along with newer or better research then you have to re-think your opinion by starting that process over again, maybe you draw the same conclusion as before maybe you come to a new conclusion.

That is just my process in learning new material regardless of topic and drawing my own opinions / conclusions. I would assume that people like myself that don't take much at face value do the same thing if they care to take the time to do it and are passionate about the topic / subject. I don't believe in much blindly and if i don't know the answer to a question I flat out say "I don't know the answer to that at the moment I need to do a little research."

I appreciate your comments because it got me talking about my thought process and hopefully I have given you enough so that you now know that I'm not one of those people that just draws my conclusions of only what I read or hear to be true. I actually THINK and APPLY it to myself THEN draw my conclusions.

If you read I said "I almost wounder if the same effect for a wedge can take place". I did not say IT DOES take place, they are two different things completely. Meaning, I would like to go test the wedge and see if i have visual manipulation issues on chip shots with it. I still don't like the looks of it regardless of manipulation or not.

The Versa putters are KILLING it on tour- you can say it causes manipulations all you want but that's all well in good in a study but you can't really argue with results on tour.

Same can be said for the white taylormade drivers which have had huge success for a couple seasons now.

I am not sure whom bags it so I really can't comment on the "killing it" in terms of victories and top 10s since it has come out. I assume that's what you mean by "killing it", or does that just mean "buzz on tour"?

Having tried the SBST stroke at one point because I thought it was the only way to putt before meeting Bruce and doing his online instruction and working out my own method. I know that it can be successful in application but it can be disastrous as well. I was highly streaky of a putter, all Bruce's research did was confirm what I saw in my own application once I did start working with him.

As for me arguing against the success of the TMaG driver on tour... Well, that sounds like a ad from TMaG "number 1 driver on tour". Success on tour is nothing more then either how many people you pay to play the clubs or how good the players you pay to play the clubs are, purely marketing strategy. I can sit here and pick out any major OEM and give a number of players that are successful on tour and point out what equipment they play regardless of company.

I would only agree with your statements that it is hard to argue with the success of a piece of equipment on tour IF AND ONLY IF no one was played to play any brand, they were able to get any brand for free and play what best performed for them. You flat can not draw the conclusion that a club is successful when money in endorsements deals are in the mix for the group of people you are pointing out.

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Thank you for taking the time to write up the in depth response... I do know that when something is planted in ones brain (ie b/w/b manipulation) that its very difficult NOT to think about it. Especially if the idea is planted from someone well respected. If I were to tell you NOT to think about pink elephants all you're going to think about are pink elephants. It's nearly impossible not to.

When I read Bruce's versa theory, I instantly thought of tmag woods. My takeaway on a wood is almost identical to that of a long putt when you think of rhythm (pace) and path (depth perception). I was merely thinking that tmag woods don't cause duck hooks the same way the versa concept would. That is all.

I think for me in my peripheral vision I'm mostly sensitive to motion and sudden color change. I don't know if you go to the eye doctor or do those DMV eye tests for your license some of them flash a light up and ask you where the light was to test you have a particular degree of sensitivity to motion / sudden changes in light or color out the corner of your eyes.

I think for me if the putter, fairway / hybrid are swung with the entire stroke being with-in my vision range I notice the movement of the head on a path but not really the color scheme if it's a single color on the crown or the top of the putter. When I picked up the Versa, I did notice both the orientation of the stripes and the path of the putter. I don't notice that my all black heads appear to rotate open i just see them come to the inside of the line, I was more aware with the stripes of white, black, white or black, white, black (I tried both for kicks) that I was more aware the face had rotated open to the original target line.

I think the more arc you have in your stroke the more it's going to open that the face opens to the target when in reality it just stays square to the path you are swinging the putter on. It was kind of hard fighting the tendency to not rotate the club so that the stripes stayed square to the target because sub-continually you think back you are going to block it and through you are going to pull it.

I think a lot of people have about 160* to 180* worth of total vision, if you stair straight head with your arms out in front of you spread them slowly wiggling you fingers and stop moving your arms once you lose the fingers motion on one or both sides. Where you arms are at is your field of vision, you just tilt that field of vision down when playing golf. You'll see out and up more then you will see down and around. If I take a swing slow enough so that it stays less then 2 or 3 feet back and through i see the motion of the head without trying to focus on it.

Now a full swing, honestly I don't really notice much as the takeaway is so fast, I think speed is a factor in this thought process. slower the more you notice the fast the less?

Archived