Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Deep milled face or insert?

Moecat

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which works best for you in terms of distance control, feel, etc.?

• Deep milled face
    • Insert (polyurethane, metal, etc.)

I've putted with the same Bettinardi Big Ben Mallet since 2003. It's got the milled honeycomb face so I vote milled face.

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

Milled for sure.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

I love soft inserts. Love 'em! I have hit some really excellent milled putters as well, but I like the softest feel I can find.

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

perhaps a tad more true in roll as well.

A ball can not have more or less "true roll" from a physics stand point. The state of "true roll" is only achieved from friction and gravity the exact percentages from physics are bellow roughly.

According to Vector Putting: The Art and Science of Reading Greens and Computing Break by H.A. Templeton, it varies based on how hard you hit the putt and how fast the greens are. The ball will skid/roll until the rotational velocity matches the horizontal velocity. The velocity at which the ball starts rolling is 71% of the initial velocity.

In the case that you think I am full of s***, I have a couple links that provide some good detail about spin, launch, roll of a putter.

http://puttertalk.com/community/index.php?topic=36275.0

http://puttertalk.com/community/index.php?topic=36287.0

This is more about a FEEL thing when talking about an insert versus a non-inserted putter, grooves on the putter have only 28% influence on the over all roll / distance of the ball. Can you tell that marketing has done a great job convincing people that their is such a thing as "a better roll" or a "better method" of putting?

Sorry for the rant but it is one of the biggest things that has been annoying me lately about putters / design.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I prefer a non-insert putter personally getting back to the question, I have a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (light milling face), SeeMore DB4 (no milling), YES! Callie-f (lots of grooves), all of them sit at 4* of loft and 33" I have a inside to DTL stroke, with a right bias. All of them work perfectly fine the weights are different and materials are a little different so sound / vibration feel are slightly different.

I like the Scotty the best, SeeMore comes in 2nd, YES! comes in third.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

If I had to go with a choice, I would prefer a milled face any day. Now if you look at my WITB signature, I do have an insert putter. I like the one I have but it's one of those putters where I think it works well so I went with that. Plus it has a nice TING sound so it sounds metallic and that can translate slightly when it comes to feel so that could be a reason why I like it. But I do like milled faced putters a lot when it comes to feel. I can pick up most milled face putters and like they're feel but not necessarily looks where a insert putter most don't feel that good. The only one that I'm currently a fan of is the White Hot series from Odyssey. Plus mine.

I was curious about those and tried them out but settled for an old Bullseye as most comfortable for my game regardless that it's now much pitted and and very much shows it's age. The millings and the inserts hold the ball too well to suit me and I prefer the slipping of simple metal.

Shambles

Insert. I used to be a milled face guy but lately Ive had a couple insert putters that were just as soft as any carbon steel putter Ive ever hit and cost much less.

The nice thing about an insert is that you can have a stainless body (which is cheap to manufacture and will resist rusting much better) and then have a soft insert (be it a soft metal or a polymer) and end up with a putter that performs just as well, resists rusting and is much cheaper to manufacture and sell to the consumer.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I used to play inserts, now only milled :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Put me down for milled face putters. I've always felt like inserts have a disconnected 'feel' to them. When I switched to a milled face putter, the direct feel and feedback I got from the face made for some improvement in my ability to judge distance particularly on lag puts.

Current Bag
Mizuno JPX-850 10.5 degree stock shaft, stiff
Srixon U45 2 iron stock shaft, stiff
Titleist 915H 3 and 4 hybrids. Aldila Rogue Black stiff
King Cobra Pro MB 5-p, DG  tour stiff
Titleist sm6 50, 54, 58
Mizuno MP T106

• 3 weeks later...

Deep milled face is my preference!!

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I was curious about those and tried them out but settled for an old Bullseye as most comfortable for my game regardless that it's now much pitted and and very much shows it's age. The millings and the inserts hold the ball too well to suit me and I prefer the slipping of simple metal.

Shambles

Nothing wrong with that at all. A guy named Mark Mc Nulty on the Champions Tour has putted with an old Bullseye for many years and has done excellent made a heck of a lot of money with it. His putter looks like it has been through 3 world wars but he keeps holing putts

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Im terrible for changing putters and swap between all the time but I'm enjoying this one at the moment with the metal insert which seems to give me a similar feel to milled putters I have used in the past (several) but with a more modern design.

Taylormade RBZ tour 9* Matrix ozik x-con 6 stiff

Taylormade R11 T3 14* Aldila vs Proto stiff

Taylormade Rescue TP 19* Aldila vs Proto x-flex

Mizuno MP-62 Project X 6.5 4-PW

Titleist vokey spin milled 54*, 60*

Oddeysey metal-x #7

Srixon z-star or Taylormade lethal

First post here on the Spy and have to say that I love the look of a deep milled face and actually prefer them for longer putts. But, I do like the feel and touch of a putter with a nice insert. My current favorite is the Odyssey White Ice Rossie. Shambles, I have a 20+ year old Bulls Eye that I will not part with. When a new putter lets me down, I usually drag out my abused Bulls Eye. It still works!

First post here on the Spy and have to say that I love the look of a deep milled face and actually prefer them for longer putts. But, I do like the feel and touch of a putter with a nice insert. My current favorite is the Odyssey White Ice Rossie. Shambles, I have a 20+ year old Bulls Eye that I will not part with. When a new putter lets me down, I usually drag out my abused Bulls Eye. It still works!

welcome to MGS!

Archived