Funkyfedora

SHOW OFF! - How Do You Mark Your Balls?

So how did you come up with your mark?

In Highschool we got a sleeve of balls and at first I got the 3s, so I stuck with them as being my favorite numbers in the box. I saw this mark on one of my range balls except it was on top of the name instead of the number. It distracted me and I shrunk the dispersion.

Screen shot 2010-03-23 at 8.59.27 AM.png

I don't care what number, but I mark it with 2 green dots, 1 on each side of the number, and I make the dots big enough to fit in one dimple. I also put a line over the alignment line, but I don't use it to line my putts.

I mark my ball with 5 dots. Thats 5 on each side! 10 total. I get grief from some of my playing partners but one thing is for sure my ball never gets confused with any other players on the course. Plus when you mark both sides you usually can identify without having to lift ball when say it's in deeper rough. I always though marking both sides was the norm but i have friends who just don't seem to care about how or why they mark their ball! Colors vary, sometime blue,red,green what evver mood I guess!

Gamer

MP14s014.jpg

New ball maybe we'll see.....

MP14s012.jpg

I circle the number with orange sharpie.

Used to make a W out of the callaway chevron, but I don't play their balls anymore.

I put 4 dots around the logo forming a crosshairs-type look. I prefer to use blue marker is the logo is all black, black marker if the number is red. I used to put an "M" on the other side, but I stopped so that I could plausbibly deny that a ball hit into a window/street/backyard is mine.

One red line through the side stamp.

Or a green clover..

yellow moon

blue stars...

Sounds complex.

I am using TM TP LDP this year (8 Dozen). They all have 'Practice' on the side. I'll just throw a purple dot on them and away we go.

post-39-12675043663817.jpg

I make a "W" between the name and number with the letter kinda floating or balancing on the number.....kinda like it's resting on the number.

I'm really daft about ball marking, but I just love the ritual of sitting down with a brand new dozen, unpacking them all, and marking them all up in a very specific way. Previously, I've been marking the 1's with 1 dot, the 2's with 2 dots, and likewise the 3's and 4's. Different colours for each number, and 6 marks per ball.

For my last box though, I've changed my ritual, and am now doing 2 colours, 2 dots, 6 sets per ball. So I'll pick 2 colour pens (different colour pairs per number), say red and black for 1's, blue and orange for 2's, etc, then do a pair of dots, one red, one black, in 6 positions per ball. This is so that there is always one position which is visible on the top of the ball, even if plugged.

Wow, it actually reads crazier than it actually is. I won't tell you about the chanting I do while marking :lol:

Anyone know a good OCD consultant/psychiatrist (delete as appropriate)? B)

...or like a breakfast cereal.

They're magically delicious. Golf balls are a little rubbery though.

I'm really daft about ball marking, but I just love the ritual of sitting down with a brand new dozen, unpacking them all, and marking them all up in a very specific way. Previously, I've been marking the 1's with 1 dot, the 2's with 2 dots, and likewise the 3's and 4's. Different colours for each number, and 6 marks per ball.

For my last box though, I've changed my ritual, and am now doing 2 colours, 2 dots, 6 sets per ball. So I'll pick 2 colour pens (different colour pairs per number), say red and black for 1's, blue and orange for 2's, etc, then do a pair of dots, one red, one black, in 6 positions per ball. This is so that there is always one position which is visible on the top of the ball, even if plugged.

Wow, it actually reads crazier than it actually is. I won't tell you about the chanting I do while marking :lol:

Anyone know a good OCD consultant/psychiatrist (delete as appropriate)? B)

i just think you have WAY too much time on your hands. Let me guess - you're single?

Anyone know a good OCD consultant/psychiatrist (delete as appropriate)? :D

So after all this, is there time left in the day to..you know...play golf? :P

Wow, it actually reads crazier than it actually is. I won't tell you about the chanting I do while marking :D

Anyone know a good OCD consultant/psychiatrist (delete as appropriate)? :P

In honor of your efforts, I will no longer mark my ball. In the grand totaling of things, this will help to balance out the universe and make everything equal.

After the round, mine are custom tree marked anyway. :lol:

• Like 1

i just think you have WAY too much time on your hands. Let me guess - you're single?

So after all this, is there time left in the day to..you know...play golf? :P

In honor of your efforts, I will no longer mark my ball. In the grand totaling of things, this will help to balance out the universe and make everything equal.

After the round, mine are custom tree marked anyway. ;)

Haha - nice replies guys, cheers. I'm happily married, with a 4yr old daughter, and I play as much golf as I can :) Just let me have this one little thing, and don't judge me :D

Haha - nice replies guys, cheers. I'm happily married, with a 4yr old daughter, and I play as much golf as I can :) Just let me have this one little thing, and don't judge me :D

And he bags a sabertooth, dangerous to all opponents on and off the green ;)